Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • richardfinegold
    • Sep 2012

Well, hopefully one gets what they want, if not what what they need today . Merry Christmas everyone

Comment

• cria
      • Jul 2022

A bar of chocolate from my wife. I don't eat chocolate. She does.

Comment

• gurnemanz
        • Nov 2010

Two books. Both Teutonically tinged. Both look up my street.

The Stasi Poetry Circle - Philip Ottermann
        Wagner's Parsifal - Roger Scruton

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
          • Dec 2010

Originally posted by gurnemanz View Post
          Two books. Both Teutonically tinged. Both look up my street.

The Stasi Poetry Circle - Philip Ottermann
          Wagner's Parsifal - Roger Scruton
          If anyone gave me anything by Mr Scruton, they would have to be utterly unaware of my views on him! A dear friend of some 60 years' duration sent me three bottles of red wine in a wooden box, courtesy Virgin Wines - one Chilean (I don't think I've ever drunk Chilean wine, which is said to be very good), one Spanish, one South African. I feel sure this must have cost considerably more then the calendar I sent her and her husband. I am waiting on a CD, presumably, which may come as a surprise, from A Composer based now in Wales, whom I've mentioned on the forum a few times. I am resisting checking his website for clues.

Comment

• smittims
            • Aug 2022

For some years now we've decided we have everything we want whereas our relatives may be a little short of cash so we've said ' please, no presents; a nice card or a photo of our grandsons would do very well' .

This has worked, but for one dear person . So, full of turkey, pudding and mince pies, I sit to open my present and its...

...a box of chocolate biscuits ' Er, yeah, thanks, I'll, erm, have it later...'

Comment

• gurnemanz
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post

If anyone gave me anything by Mr Scruton, they would have to be utterly unaware of my views on him
              My dear wife is fully aware of my aversion to Mr Scruton but I assume her awareness of my Parsifal obsession took precedence. Also, I have enough socks to keep me going. Happy to give his book a chance.

Comment

• Dave2002
                • Dec 2010

Originally posted by cria View Post
                A bar of chocolate from my wife. I don't eat chocolate. She does.
                Love it!

Re Chilean wine, also mentioned, it's often rather good. We didn't have any of that - but those who have received it should hopefully enjoy it.

Spin Machine - a game - arrived and it's rather fun. At first it seems like a severe challenge, and then one realises that perhaps real life politicians train up on games like this one.

The Prime Minister is stepping down, and you’re a minister competing for the ​top job. Whatever political problem comes your way, you’ve got to defend it. ​You don’t need any knowledge of politics to play, just the ability to wriggle ​out of a problem. Spin Machine, the Serious-or-Satirical Political Card Game, will ma

Comment

• french frank
                  Administrator/Moderator
                  • Feb 2007

Collusion (I assume) between younger members of family: bottle of 7-year-old vintage port from M&S and small Stilton from Sainsbury's. WhatsApp message this morning from (also) young hostess for Boxing Day buffet: no coffee or alcohol (except spirits) so BYO if wanted. I have packed a bottle of Pouilly Fumé and coffee-making equipment into my rucksack.
                  It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• smittims
                    • Aug 2022

Hope you enjoy the day. We're having a quiet one, having recovered from yesterday: nine round the table.

Comment

• Petrushka
                      • Nov 2010

For my 70th Christmas I decided to splash out and purchased as a gift to myself the British Library facsimile edition of Shakespeare's First Folio from 1623.

This is the most beautifully printed and bound volume I have ever seen in my life. It's an astounding work of art in its own right and a true collector's item. Opening this awesome volume just took my breath away.

Wondering if anyone else has bought it. It's not cheap but it's worth it.
                      "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• Pulcinella
                        Host
                        • Feb 2014

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
                        For my 70th Christmas I decided to splash out and purchased as a gift to myself the British Library facsimile edition of Shakespeare's First Folio from 1623.

This is the most beautifully printed and bound volume I have ever seen in my life. It's an astounding work of art in its own right and a true collector's item. Opening this awesome volume just took my breath away.

Wondering if anyone else has bought it. It's not cheap but it's worth it.
                        Good for you.
                        But how sad that even the BL site can't get it right:

The significance of the First Folio cannot be underestimated.

Oh yes it can, but obviously not by you!

400th Anniversary Facsimile Published to mark the 400th anniversary of the book's original publication, this facsimile edition faithfully reproduces one of the finest copies held in the British Library collections. The significance of the First Folio cannot be underestimated. It is the only contemporary source of eight

Comment

• Petrushka
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post

Good for you.
                          But how sad that even the BL site can't get it right:

The significance of the First Folio cannot be underestimated.

Oh yes it can, but obviously not by you!

400th Anniversary Facsimile Published to mark the 400th anniversary of the book's original publication, this facsimile edition faithfully reproduces one of the finest copies held in the British Library collections. The significance of the First Folio cannot be underestimated. It is the only contemporary source of eight

Yes, I also noticed that howler but the book is what matters. Goodness knows how opening a mere book can move one beyond understanding but this one achieves something quite remarkable. Breathtaking.
                          "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• CallMePaul
                            • Jan 2014

A painting of a Curlew by a local Leeds-based artist, plus Steven Isselis' guide to Bach's Cello Suites, which looks very interesting on a quick scan.

Comment

• french frank
                              Administrator/Moderator
                              • Feb 2007

One thing I'll say for the younger generation of the family - they know how to pick a bottle of wine. Or in this case - and fair enough - a half bottle of 2015 Château Suduiraut Sauternes on Boxing Day. That's going to need something special in the way of cheese.
                              It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Barbirollians
                                • Nov 2010

Roquefort FF - made for Suduiraut.

Comment

Working...
                                X