• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RichardB
    Banned
    • Nov 2021

Originally posted by Joseph K View Post
    I am particularly happy about the complete Barraqué.
    Yes indeed - the Concerto was an absolute revelation to me when I first heard it. The Sonata in that set isn't on the level of Woodward or Henck though.

Santa brought me some recordings too, but not in finished form. I had the optimistic idea of getting a performer to produce some recordings, from which I would then generate more materials, as on the binary systems album, but instead of completing a composition in that form I would create materials which that same musician would then improvise alongside in a live concert. So, this morning, I received a stack of studio recordings by the Australian cellist Freya Schack-Arnott. Unfortunately I'll be a bit too busy in the next couple of weeks to get to work on them, but the premiere of the live version isn't until May.

Christmas lunch will be yesterday's pasta rewarmed. What a sybaritic life!

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
      Banned
      • Jul 2011

Originally posted by RichardB View Post
      Yes indeed - the Concerto was an absolute revelation to me when I first heard it. The Sonata in that set isn't on the level of Woodward or Henck though.

Santa brought me some recordings too, but not in finished form. I had the optimistic idea of getting a performer to produce some recordings, from which I would then generate more materials, as on the binary systems album, but instead of completing a composition in that form I would create materials which that same musician would then improvise alongside in a live concert. So, this morning, I received a stack of studio recordings by the Australian cellist Freya Schack-Arnott. Unfortunately I'll be a bit too busy in the next couple of weeks to get to work on them, but the premiere of the live version isn't until May.

Christmas lunch will be yesterday's pasta rewarmed. What a sybaritic life!
      Luxury bloody luxury!
      Soup for me at about 1730.....Salad later on.....I do love Lambs Lettuce with Mixed Beans. Truly, The Food of the Gods.

Presents to myself - two books on Brahms: The Cambridge Companion and the later edition of Malcolm Macdonald's excellent Master Musicians one; I must have lost the battered old original I had, or maybe just borrowed it on "extended loan..".....

Still, I'm sipping Champagne now....my Formula 1 Sundays thing, but that isn't back till March (if we're lucky....) and the season ended in scandal...
      The day started with fitting the Cat Flap back into the door - the two strays had knocked it into the yard during another fight.

So just trying to recover from all the excitement....and sipping Champagne...
      Last edited by jayne lee wilson; 25-12-21, 15:05.

Comment

• Joseph K
        Banned
        • Oct 2017

Originally posted by RichardB View Post
        Santa brought me some recordings too, but not in finished form. I had the optimistic idea of getting a performer to produce some recordings, from which I would then generate more materials, as on the binary systems album, but instead of completing a composition in that form I would create materials which that same musician would then improvise alongside in a live concert. So, this morning, I received a stack of studio recordings by the Australian cellist Freya Schack-Arnott.
        That sounds interesting!

Comment

• LeMartinPecheur
          • Apr 2007

Inter alia the newish (only?) Fatma Said recital disc, swoon, swoon, and a couple of lumpy music books, the new Faber study of Hugo Wolf and Jan Swafford's 2020 book on WAM. Oh, and a nice bottle of Speyside single malt to wash all that down
          I keep hitting the Escape key, but I'm still here!

Comment

• pastoralguy
            • Nov 2010

The Philips Arthur Grumiaux ‘Big Box’. 88 discs iirc.

Also, a smaller box of Jamie Laredo on RCA. I was reacquainted with his early recording of the Mendelssohn concerto which I was given for Christmas by an aunt and uncle. That record was the first time I ever heard the Mendelssohn concerto and it was a piece I grew to love and eventually learned to, more or less play. Alas, it’s taken this long to make it to cd, my Lp having long disappeared and it’s been great to hear it again. (Gramophone gave a very poor review but I think they were wrong).

Comment

• johncorrigan
              • Nov 2010

My new Blues Calendar, a Songhoy Blues CD, and a lovely new jumper...which I was needing...oh yeah, and a bottle of Talisker.

Comment

• cloughie
                • Dec 2011

Originally posted by johncorrigan View Post
                My new Blues Calendar, a Songhoy Blues CD, and a lovely new jumper...which I was needing...oh yeah, and a bottle of Talisker.
                Good to see that one jc - look forward to the references throughout 22!

Comment

• Alison
                  • Nov 2010

Beethoven Odyssey - Colin Davis box.

Really enjoying sampling this. A lucky dip on a car journey turned up the Violin Concerto (Grumiaux) and Piano Concerto 1 (Bishop-Kovacevich) on the same disc. Hugely enjoyable performances both.

Comment

• Petrushka
                    • Nov 2010

I've probably saved somewhere in the region of £2000/3000 in not attending concerts or Proms since Covid burst upon the scene so I decoded to splash out on four boxed sets, put aside for Christmas, that have appeared in the past few months.

1. The complete orchestral recordings of Karl Böhm (DG)
                    2. The complete Decca and Philips recordings of Karl Böhm (Decca)
                    3. Solti in London (Decca)
                    4. The complete Wilhelm Furtwangler on record (Warner)

As a Founder Member of the Dead Conductor's Society (only joking) am hugely enjoying these! As a result, now have a growing pile of duplicates to sort out.
                    "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• RichardB
                      Banned
                      • Nov 2021

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
                      1. The complete orchestral recordings of Karl Böhm (DG)
                      2. The complete Decca and Philips recordings of Karl Böhm (Decca)
                      3. Solti in London (Decca)
                      4. The complete Wilhelm Furtwangler on record (Warner)
                      How many hours is that altogether???

Comment

• Alison
                        • Nov 2010

You do like big boxes, Pet!

I want to get the Solti box and the DG complete Stravinsky edition.

Comment

• Alison
                          • Nov 2010

Did you get any of the single discs of Sir Georg’s Haydn symphonies, Pet?

Comment

• Petrushka
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Alison View Post
                            Did you get any of the single discs of Sir Georg’s Haydn symphonies, Pet?
                            Yes I did, Alison. Symphonies 95 & 104 and Symphonies 102 & 103. If you want them I'll be happy to oblige.

Comment

• Petrushka
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Alison View Post
                              You do like big boxes, Pet!

I want to get the Solti box and the DG complete Stravinsky edition.
                              I love having a complete box of a conductor's recordings all in one place especially those that come with the original artwork on the sleeves. The only downside is the inevitable number of duplications. Genuinely don't know what to do with them.

Comment

• Alison
                                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
                                Yes I did, Alison. Symphonies 95 & 104 and Symphonies 102 & 103. If you want them I'll be happy to oblige.
                                Ah no, I do have them, thank you. Just thought they could be a pleasant surprise for you if you hadn’t come across them before.

Comment

Working...
                                X