Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Petrushka
    • Nov 2010

Treated myself to the Claudio Abbado Vienna Philharmonic box on DG but somewhat disappointed to find that the CDs do not come with reproductions of the original cover art on the sleeves some of which (the Beethoven cycle, Bruckner and Berg recordings, in particular, were very good). The 58 CDs are in a flip top box but are annoyingly packed in so tightly together that they are impossible to extract without having to tip up the box. Not the standard one expects from DG.

Looking forward to reading Culture in the Third Reich by Moritz Föllmer which was flagged up by someone on the Forum and which also found its way into Santa's sack.
    "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• muzzer
      • Nov 2013

Sort of Santa also brought me the other day a blink and you miss it shot in the otherwise forgettable Bill Murray film Scrooged of some famous jazz buskers on the street, one of them with dreads and a red trumpet, clearly not a serious musician

Comment

• AmpH
        • Feb 2012

Treated myself to the latest publication from the marvellous Lynx Edicions of Barcelona " All the Birds of the World " in a single volume.

? Swipe left or right to discover some of the book’s special features. Some are easy to spot, like bird illustrations and maps; others are more subtle.

Also received another large and beautifully produced recently published volume " The English Civil War : An Atlas and Consise History of the Wars of the Three Kingdoms 1639 - 1651 " by Nick Lipscombe.

Comment

• BBMmk2
          Late Member
          • Nov 2010

Loads of CDs, including Gardiner’s DG Beethoven set and his Berlioz Rediscivered. Also, a rather good looking bone China mug,Mei the imprinted on it, Beethoven’s Für Elise!
          Don’t cry for me
          I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• french frank
            Administrator/Moderator
            • Feb 2007

A pot of ricotta-stuffed sweet peppers and box of cheese straws
            Various bits of home baking
            Environmentally friendly kitchen implements
            British Legion scarf with poppies all over it
            Christmas lunch with all trimmings

Gave:

half bottle of obscure connoisseur's gin
            half bottle sloe gin
            box of handmade chocolates
            bottle of San Lúcar de Barrameda Manzanilla sherry + boxed set of RVW symphonies
            copy of my latest book (limited edition - one copy only, privately printed)
            cash
            several bars of Equal Exchange Fair Trade organic dark chocolate (for helpers)

Long gone are the days when I made a profit (or even broke even) at Christmas

It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Pulcinella
              Host
              • Feb 2014

Originally posted by french frank View Post
              A pot of ricotta-stuffed sweet peppers and box of cheese straws
              Various bits of home baking
              Environmentally friendly kitchen implements
              British Legion scarf with poppies all over it

Gave:

half bottle of obscure connoisseur's gin
              half bottle sloe gin
              box of handmade chocolates
              bottle of San Lúcar de Barrameda Manzanilla sherry + boxed set of RVW symphonies
              copy of my latest book (limited edition - one copy only, privately printed)
              cash
              several bars of Equal Exchange Fair Trade organic dark chocolate (for helpers)

Long gone are the days when I made a profit (or even broke even) at Christmas

Good to know that you have an environmentally friendly kitchen, ff.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                Host
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by DracoM View Post
                Fr X got me a v.peaceful night, VERY frosty day, .........and wonderful fells scenery. And kind, generous neighbours.
                Hard to improve on that.

Comment

• LHC
                  • Jan 2011

I got a Royal Opera calendar, the 2020 book of political cartoons, Kind Hearts and Coronets on blu ray, and a UHD blu ray of Flash Gordon.

There should be more to come (inlcluding some music on CD and Blu ray hopefully) when we are able to meet up with the rest of the family and exchange gifts with them.
                  "I do not approve of anything that tampers with natural ignorance. Ignorance is like a delicate exotic fruit; touch it and the bloom is gone. The whole theory of modern education is radically unsound. Fortunately in England, at any rate, education produces no effect whatsoever. If it did, it would prove a serious danger to the upper classes, and probably lead to acts of violence in Grosvenor Square."
                  Lady Bracknell The importance of Being Earnest

Comment

• Bryn
                    Banned
                    • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                    From a recent Thames Valley Police tweet:

I think it might be safe to mention (again) the DVD of La Monte Young's The Well-tuned Piano. It would have to be a pretty unusual burglar who target my abode to purloin such an item.

Comment

• Padraig
                      • Feb 2013

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post
                      You do know that losing your sense of taste is a possible sign of having caught the dreaded virus, don't you, Padraig?
                      But wait! I didn't mention the best part. The sweater has lights that go on and off. Classy.
                      And anyway, the plum pudding tasted as good as it always does.

Comment

• Pulcinella
                        Host
                        • Feb 2014

Originally posted by Padraig View Post
                        But wait! I didn't mention the best part. The sweater has lights that go on and off. Classy.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                          • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Padraig View Post
                          No flashing in front of others, mind!

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                            • Dec 2010

Two gifts received: an amazing hamper full of calorific treats, which I would never have thought of buying for myself! And a Paul Dunmall CD recorded in 2019, sent to me by Phil Gibbs, the guitarist on the session. Phil always sends me at least one CD, every Christmas - very fine musician and super guy. He has made numerous recordings with Paul, and also with the late and greatly missed Keith Tippett.

Comment

• Alison
                              • Nov 2010

Ben Haim Orchestral music, recent Chandos release.

Comment

• Joseph K
                                Banned
                                • Oct 2017

Various things. We're seeing my sister and her family a bit later, so this isn't everything, but these are the CDs and books I've so far received:

I am particularly happy about the complete Barraqué.

Comment

Working...
                                X