Clear All
  • Serial_Apologist
    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post
    I like this time of the year,
    I like the autumn
    I don't "look forward" to the summer in the way that so many seem to
    Roll on the bleak snow
    There's nothing more beautiful on a clear December day than to see the low-angled sun catch bare tree trunks and branches. Various varieties of willow and dogwood with vivid orange, red or yellow stems, are cultivated for mass planting to give this effect to maximum advantage at this time of the year, which can appear to shimmer when viewed at a certain distance. Berries give their best display at this time of the year, before the birds have most of them. Some prunus trees and shrubs blossom at this time: a viburnum is presently flowing copiously in the garden here, giving off a sweet honeyed scent. Things only start looking drab by late January, the sun's angle being higher; but by that time one is starting to see crocus and snowdrop, and the first birdsong is only a short time ahead.

Comment

• Cockney Sparrow
      • Jan 2014

Our 2nd week touring in New Zealand. Summer has now taken off with long, sunny and warm days. Christmas seems a low key affair here. But I suppose if we had the summer, the mountains, lakes and coast it wouldn't consume as much attention either.
      But we will be back mid January for a dose of proper, character forming Winter weather.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
        Host
        • Nov 2010

Forget Vivaldi’s ‘Four Seasons’. I’m working on a composition called ‘The Two Seasons: Rise and Fall’. There’s no agreement on the dates of the traditional four. Solstice-equinox-solstice-equinox, or 1 March-1 June-1 Sept-1Dec.

Comment

• vinteuil
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
          There’s no agreement on the dates of the traditional four. Solstice-equinox-solstice-equinox, or 1 March - 1 June - 1 Sept - 1 Dec.
          ...I think there is agreement, of sorts : astronomers use the former, meteorologists use the latter.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
            Host
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
            ...I think there is agreement, of sorts : astronomers use the former, meteorologists use the latter.

A very interesting article. I liked the 6-season example. Here in Devon we have three seasons: Spring, summer and autumn.

Comment

• MrGongGong
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
              A very interesting article. I liked the 6-season example. Here in Devon we have three seasons: Spring, summer and autumn.
              And it rains in every one of them

I once made a piece with students at Limerick University called "The Four Seasons"

Spring: soft rain
              Summer: periods of no rain then soft rain
              Autumn: Wind and rain
              Winter: Driving rain

Each movement had the sound of 8 home-made rainsticks played in different ways

Comment

• Dave2002
                • Dec 2010

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post
                And it rains in every one of them

I once made a piece with students at Limerick University called "The Four Seasons"

Spring: soft rain
                Summer: periods of no rain then soft rain
                Autumn: Wind and rain
                Winter: Driving rain

Each movement had the sound of 8 home-made rainsticks played in different ways
                We went to the chamber music festival in Bantry a few years ago. I think it was supposed to be summer. Great festival, but a lot of rain. Maybe you should get a group to go there. Sadly we're not too inclined to go back - too wet.

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
                  Banned
                  • Jul 2011

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                  There's nothing more beautiful on a clear December day than to see the low-angled sun catch bare tree trunks and branches. Various varieties of willow and dogwood with vivid orange, red or yellow stems, are cultivated for mass planting to give this effect to maximum advantage at this time of the year, which can appear to shimmer when viewed at a certain distance. Berries give their best display at this time of the year, before the birds have most of them. Some prunus trees and shrubs blossom at this time: a viburnum is presently flowing copiously in the garden here, giving off a sweet honeyed scent. Things only start looking drab by late January, the sun's angle being higher; but by that time one is starting to see crocus and snowdrop, and the first birdsong is only a short time ahead.
                  A beautiful paragraph, SA.... thank you.
                  There are a few birds who have helped us bear up through the Winter: those Robins, singing once again by the streetlamps, and at Dusk and Dawn; and earlier than ever this season, Mistle Thrushes have declaimed their far-carrying, repetitive-Blackbird whistles from the topmost twigs...

The Hedgehogs, filling up nightly on cat food, went down later than ever this November, in the third week; the smallest one even returned a few days ago to the outhouse, grateful for another meal; but disappeared quickly again...

Comment

• MrGongGong
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
                    We went to the chamber music festival in Bantry a few years ago. I think it was supposed to be summer. Great festival, but a lot of rain. Maybe you should get a group to go there. Sadly we're not too inclined to go back - too wet.
                    I love the rain

Comment

• teamsaint
                      • Nov 2010

I took this today at about 3.30 . Just after that a big cloud happened along, which blew everybody's chances of a photo of the sunset through the central stones, but seeing this was pretty special anyway.

Not a druid in sight, and the sunset on winter solstice is the key thing..........

Plenty of tourists about the place though.

I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                        Gone fishin'
                        • Sep 2011

Nowt worse than a fair weather druid!
                        [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Bryn
                          Banned
                          • Mar 2007

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
                          I took this today at about 3.30 . Just after that a big cloud happened along, which blew everybody's chances of a photo of the sunset through the central stones, but seeing this was pretty special anyway.

Not a druid in sight, and the sunset on winter solstice is the key thing..........

Plenty of tourists about the place though.

Wish I'd thought to be there. Did you by any chance, or intent, take any slightly earlier shots, with the sun partly obscured by the lintel? If not, there's always next year.

Comment

• teamsaint
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                            Wish I'd thought to be there. Did you by any chance, or intent, take any slightly earlier shots, with the sun partly obscured by the lintel? If not, there's always next year.
                            The only one I have from slightly earlier ( I think) that fits your criteria has the sun rather " ballooning" through the stones, ( sorry, don't have the technical language) and completely obscuring the lintel. This was on my phone, the last one on my camera.

I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

Comment

• teamsaint
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                              Nowt worse than a fair weather druid!
                              Hmmmm.. but as December 22nd goes, it was fair weather..........

Poor effort from the druids though.
                              Last edited by teamsaint; 22-12-19, 21:02.

Comment

• cloughie
                                • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                                Except that next year it could well be surrounded by mizzle!

Comment

Working...
                                X