X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dave2002
    • Dec 2010

Checking up on us?

We have been using TV from digital sources during the last few months, for technical reasons. These often seem to require passwords, and even (particularly) in the case of BBC I have had to register in order to get the TVs and attached kit to work.

Today I finally succeeded in getting one (smart) TV to work with a satellite dish. No problems once I got the connections set up - and I note that I wasn't asked any questions about licences or passwords. Perhaps I'd better keep quiet, in case Big Brother notices!

My next challenge is to get that TV to act as a recorder - I think it's solvable. Maybe that'll also pass by BB - and I'll be able to watch programmes without "someone" knowing what my tastes in programmes, films or music are! I know that if I get the r3 programmes to record that the audio quality won't be quite as good as the HD stream, but it should be easy to record without having to use any software, and programmes which are only wanted once or twice can be listened to via the HD stream and BBC Sounds or iPlayer - for as long as that works.
  • Bryn
    Banned
    • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
    We have been using TV from digital sources during the last few months, for technical reasons. These often seem to require passwords, and even (particularly) in the case of BBC I have had to register in order to get the TVs and attached kit to work.

Today I finally succeeded in getting one (smart) TV to work with a satellite dish. No problems once I got the connections set up - and I note that I wasn't asked any questions about licences or passwords. Perhaps I'd better keep quiet, in case Big Brother notices!

My next challenge is to get that TV to act as a recorder - I think it's solvable. Maybe that'll also pass by BB - and I'll be able to watch programmes without "someone" knowing what my tastes in programmes, films or music are! I know that if I get the r3 programmes to record that the audio quality won't be quite as good as the HD stream, but it should be easy to record without having to use any software, and programmes which are only wanted once or twice can be listened to via the HD stream and BBC Sounds or iPlayer - for as long as that works.
    I would rather not go into too much detail here but, if using a PC (or quite possibly one of those Apple products), there is no necessity to sign in to the Beeb in order to access either their radio or television programmes. While you might (would) need to sign in to watch or listen live, to download it is quite unnecessary.

Comment

• Dave2002
      • Dec 2010

Indeed, and our former "lord" and master was also clearly well aware of that. Some software does work with Apple - as you mention, though periodically it needs "refreshing" - so it is interesting to see that recordings can be done quite easily from a satellite system. Since posting the first item in this thread I have now succeeded in recording video from my Toshiba smart TV to a USB stick, though oddly I've not succeeded to the SSD which I made up from the Integral SSD suggestion + a suitable rather neat enclosure - https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Recording in that way should avoid some potential problems.

Maybe I'll get this done in a while, or maybe that SSD unit is just not compatible with the TV.

Comment

Working...
      X