X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kernelbogey
    • Nov 2010

UK Music Festivals 2019

I think it would be useful to have a thread about local music festivals. As far as I can see we don't have such a thread, and boarders might enjoy hearing of local festivals where the prospect of quality performances might justify a long journey - or even a few days away.

I will add posts about festivals I know about and can recommend, and I hope others will post signs about others for us.
  • kernelbogey
    • Nov 2010

Winchester Chamber Music Festival was founded in 2008 by the London Bridge Trio. Dates for 2019 are not yet on the website, but it has usually been Friday - Sunday of the first May Bank Holiday weekend.

Highly recommended.

The Mendelssohn quartet thread reminded me of this as we had an absolutely top performance of the Mendelssohn Octet this year by the London Bridge Trio, Heath Quartet and Jonathan Stone who (all except cellists) stood.

Comment

• kernelbogey
      • Nov 2010

West Meon Music Festival (13th-15th September 2019) takes place in the parish church of the village, about 15 miles east of Winchester, lying on the A32. It was founded by the Primrose Piano Quartet.

I have been going for the last two years, and heard memorable performances.

Comment

• DracoM
        Host
        • Mar 2007

Originally posted by kernelbogey View Post
        I think it would be useful to have a thread about local music festivals. As far as I can see we don't have such a thread, and boarders might enjoy hearing of local festivals where the prospect of quality performances might justify a long journey - or even a few days away.

I will add posts about festivals I know about and can recommend, and I hope others will post signs about others for us.

Absolutely endorse this.
        Given the decay and death of music in schools, it can signal that as they grow, this generation will be even LESS inclined to know of, care about, or try new stuff, visit Festivals etc.
        We need to foster and encourage.

I speak as one actively involved in running a Festival in't rural North.

Comment

• kernelbogey
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by DracoM View Post
          Absolutely endorse this.....I speak as one actively involved in running a Festival in't rural North.
          Speak, O Draco, whereof thou runnest!

Comment

• kernelbogey
            • Nov 2010

St Endellion Music Festivals

46th Easter Festival: 13 April - 21 April 2019

61st Summer Festival 30 July - 9 August 2019

I have attended only the summer festival, which has always been joyous and uplilfting. The festivals provide young musicians with coaching and performance - I hope others may be able to post about the arrangements for these.

It is in a lovely part of Cornwall: Port Isaac on the north coast is a good reference point if looking at a less detailed map.

Comment

• vinteuil
              • Nov 2010

York Early Music Festival
              -

Innovation: The Shock of the New
              Friday 5 - Saturday 13 July 2019

Comment

• DracoM
                Host
                • Mar 2007

Originally posted by kernelbogey View Post
                Speak, O Draco, whereof thou runnest!
                Sedbergh [Cumbria] Music Festival: every two years, next in 2020 for which we are planning now.
                Artists that have appeared in the last two festivals include Tasmin Little, Martin Roscoe, Ashley Wass, Mabon Wales, Red Priest, Sterling Trio, medieval band Cornucopia and a live reading with music of Sir Gawain and the Green Knight etc.

Comment

Working...
                X