Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Richard Tarleton

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
    Oh! I thought it a lovely tribute to Llywelyn ap Gruffudd? No?
    Opened by Brian in 1996

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
      Host
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by pastoralguy View Post
      I'm not so concerned about the TV license but I really want my free bus pass come 60!
      You may be disappointed. I was able to obtain a bus pass at 60, but Frau A has to wait until she’s 66.
      She has a Senior Railcard though.

Comment

• Old Grumpy
        • Jan 2011

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
        You may be disappointed. I was able to obtain a bus pass at 60, but Frau A has to wait until she’s 66.
        She has a Senior Railcard though.
        I'm not sure they'll be still issuing bus passes when I'm 66. I do have a Senior Railcard, though - and very good it is too.

OG

Comment

• LMcD
          • Sep 2017

Originally posted by Old Grumpy View Post
          I'm not sure they'll be still issuing bus passes when I'm 66. I do have a Senior Railcard, though - and very good it is too.

OG
          I recently had my bus pass renewed, and I'm in my mid-70s. Rather worryingly, it was renewed for only 5 years, as against 10 the last time...

Comment

• oddoneout
            • Nov 2015

OG
            My situation as well. The funding of the free bus pass has become more and more contentious, and living as I do in a large rural county I fear it's unsustainable. The Railcard is paid for so doesn't have the same problem(yet, although I suspect some change will have to be made eventually, if only to align the qualifying age and so restrict uptake), which makes me wonder whether the bus pass couldn't be made available along the same lines(using the higher qualifying age if necessary) , if the funding does stop altogether.

Comment

• Old Grumpy
              • Jan 2011

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post
              The Railcard is paid for so doesn't have the same problem(yet, although I suspect some change will have to be made eventually, if only to align the qualifying age and so restrict uptake), which makes me wonder whether the bus pass couldn't be made available along the same lines(using the higher qualifying age if necessary) , if the funding does stop altogether.
              Railcards are payed for by the user, but who takes the loss of revenue on the discounted fares - is it the individual train companies? I seem to remember that initially the much trumpeted under 26-30 railcard was delayed due to the reluctance if the treasury to fund it.

OG

Comment

• oddoneout
                • Nov 2015

Railcards are payed for by the user, but who takes the loss of revenue on the discounted fares - is it the individual train companies? I seem to remember that initially the much trumpeted under 26-30 railcard was delayed due to the reluctance if the treasury to fund it.OG
                Nothing to do with the realisation that there simply weren't enough trains to accommodate the increase in passenger numbers? No, I don't know if that's an issue, I suspect it's actually all to do with the perennial fear of threats to dividends.
                Trouble with the bus pass is that the passenger makes no payment for the cost of travel, rather than a less than the companies would like payment on the train.

Comment

• teamsaint
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                  I don't think the Freedom Pass (for Londoners) is free at 60. There is, IIRC, a charge of as much as £20 for the 60+ Oyster, which is only of use within London. The Welsh one can, of course, only be used in that principality, or to travel into England (not for the return journey). Likewise, the English pass can be used to travel into Wales, but you have to pay to get out. A similar situation applies re. Scotland.
                  If you're aged 60 or over and live in a London borough, you might be eligible for a 60+ London Oyster photocard

Looks a pretty good deal though?
                  Last edited by teamsaint; 27-11-18, 21:58.
                  I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by LMcD View Post
                    I recently had my bus pass renewed, and I'm in my mid-70s. Rather worryingly, it was renewed for only 5 years, as against 10 the last time...
                    As with renewing the driving license, the assumption seems to be that one is not going to be around beyond the expiry year.

Comment

• oddoneout
                      • Nov 2015

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                      As with renewing the driving license, the assumption seems to be that one is not going to be around beyond the expiry year.
                      Or that you're not going to be in a fit state to make use of either - don't know which is worse!
                      With the increase in SPA that means we're getting back to the original calculation of only lasting about 4 years after official retirement - they wish!

Comment

• Beef Oven!
                        Ex-member
                        • Sep 2013

Maybe the over 75s can make marmalade instead of watching telly.

Comment

• cloughie
                          • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Beef Oven! View Post
                          Maybe the over 75s can make marmalade instead of watching telly.
                          Don’t be ageist, beefy, a lifetime of multitasking means they can do both!

Comment

• Mal
                            • Dec 2016

Is there a "free bus pass for everyone over 60" party? Digging a little I was reminded that it was Darling's last policy to push the age of freedom from 60 to 65, with Osborne backing this, and Clegg saying "it wouldn't happen", and then reneging (as usual.) So all three parties conspiring to beat up pensioners, what a nice country England is now. Having just turned 60, I had a little problem that meant I had to limp a mile to the GP practice a few times; I guess I could have paid for the bus, but I was too angry about the change in policy, and not quite crippled enough...

The age at which people in England get a free bus pass could go up from 60 to 65 sooner than previously planned.

P.S. I did like it when I found out I wouldn't have to pay for the drugs... I was limping with a spring in my step...

Comment

• Beef Oven!
                              Ex-member
                              • Sep 2013

Originally posted by Mal View Post
                              Is there a "free bus pass for everyone over 60" party? Digging a little I was reminded that it was Darling's last policy to push the age of freedom from 60 to 65, with Osborne backing this, and Clegg saying "it wouldn't happen", and then reneging (as usual.) So all three parties conspiring to beat up pensioners, what a nice country England is now. Having just turned 60, I had a little problem that meant I had to limp a mile to the GP practice a few times; I guess I could have paid for the bus, but I was too angry about the change in policy, and not quite crippled enough...

The age at which people in England get a free bus pass could go up from 60 to 65 sooner than previously planned.

P.S. I did like it when I found out I wouldn't have to pay for the drugs... I was limping with a spring in my step...
                              I thought it was 60 in London? I'm so close!!!

Comment

• vinteuil
                                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Beef Oven! View Post
                                I thought it was 60 in London? I'm so close!!!
                                ... yep, 60 in London -

If you're aged 60 or over and live in a London borough, you might be eligible for a 60+ London Oyster photocard

Comment

Working...
                                X