• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Old Grumpy
    • Jan 2011

Age-related TV licence policy

Apologies if there is already a thread on this - hosts please free to merge

Any BBC TV viewers responded to this consultation? I have just received my TV licence renewal and am way off getting a free one on age grounds.

OG
  • Serial_Apologist
    • Dec 2010

I reach 75 in 2020, so I suppose it depends in which part of the year the current arrangement ends as to whether I'm absolved from having to renew.

Comment

• pastoralguy
      • Nov 2010

I'm not so concerned about the TV license but I really want my free bus pass come 60!

Comment

• french frank
        Administrator/Moderator
        • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Old Grumpy View Post
        Any BBC TV viewers responded to this consultation?
        I don't know - but a non-TV viewer has responded I think the gist of what I said was that if ability to watch television was now regarded as a social necessity, any free/subsidised licences should be funded by the government, not the BBC (fat chance). Though if it is a such a social necessity, I'm not sure that discounts/subsidies should be age-related at all. For example, families with children who receive free school meals might get free TV licences (being as 'ow television is so educational).
        It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• teamsaint
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by pastoralguy View Post
          I'm not so concerned about the TV license but I really want my free bus pass come 60!
          Which you’ll get , as would a Londoner or a resident of Wales.

The rest of us can wait till we are 67 though, apparently, presumably because er, because, um, er.....

There must be a good reason.
          Really,there must.
          I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Beef Oven!
            Ex-member
            • Sep 2013

Originally posted by pastoralguy View Post
            Same here!

Comment

• Bryn
              Banned
              • Mar 2007

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
              Which you’ll get , as would a Londoner or a resident of Wales.

The rest of us can wait till we are 67 though, apparently, presumably because er, because, um, er.....

There must be a good reason.
              Really,there must.
              I don't think the Freedom Pass (for Londoners) is free at 60. There is, IIRC, a charge of as much as £20 for the 60+ Oyster, which is only of use within London. The Welsh one can, of course, only be used in that principality, or to travel into England (not for the return journey). Likewise, the English pass can be used to travel into Wales, but you have to pay to get out. A similar situation applies re. Scotland.
              Last edited by Bryn; 27-11-18, 00:10. Reason: Missing space sorted.

Comment

• cloughie
                • Dec 2011

As the BBC probably makes little effort to provide programmes that over 75s want to watch or listen to, because they sre putting all their efforts into luring the under 30s to use their services then the least they can do is to pay for their licences!

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                  • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                  I don't think the Freedom Pass (for Londoners) is free at 60.
                  I was lucky to get mine when it was 60. I suppose it behoves me to accept having still to pay for a TV licence when I'm past 75...

Comment

• Beef Oven!
                    Ex-member
                    • Sep 2013

I don't think the Freedom Pass (for Londoners) is free at 60. There is, IIRC, a charge of as much as £20 for the 60+ Oyster, which is only of use within London. The Welsh one can, of course, only be used in that principality, or to travel into England (not for the return journey). Likewise, the English pass can be used to travel into Wales, but you have to pay to get out. A similar situation applies re. Scotland.
                    I'd pay to get out of Wales.

Comment

• cloughie
                      • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Beef Oven! View Post
                      I'd pay to get out of Wales.
                      Steady now no need be rude about Wales! Now I’d pay never to have to go to London.

Comment

• Bryn
                        Banned
                        • Mar 2007

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
                        Steady now no need be rude about Wales! Now I’d pay never to have to go to London.
                        To be fair, I did lob it up for him to smash into the net.

Comment

• Beef Oven!
                          Ex-member
                          • Sep 2013

To be fair, I did lob it up for him to smash into the net.
                          Yup, you get an assist.

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

Likewise, the English pass can be used to travel into Wales, but you have to pay to get out.
                            The opposite situation to the Severn Bridge and Second Severn Crossing (I refuse to use its new name ) - drivers pay to get into Wales, but get out for nothing. Though I believe the tolls are to be scrapped altogether in December.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                              Gone fishin'
                              • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Richard Tarleton View Post
                              (I refuse to use its new name )
                              Oh! I thought it a lovely tribute to Llywelyn ap Gruffudd? No?
                              [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

Working...
                              X