Clear All
  • subcontrabass
    • Nov 2010

BBC Sounds

Future plans: https://www.theguardian.com/media/20...-sounds-launch
  • Serial_Apologist
    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by subcontrabass View Post
    D'you know something? - I haven't a clue what that piece is on about?! I shall be sorry though when the iplayer stops relaying earlier radio programmes, as that is the way in which I do my catching up - as, I gather, do others hereabouts. For all the verbal Shennan-igans of that article, I can't make out in what ways BBC Sounds will differ from or improve upon existing ways to access the previously broadcast.

Comment

• french frank
      Administrator/Moderator
      • Feb 2007

Originally posted by subcontrabass View Post
      Very interesting.

Relying on pensioners to provide your audience is not sustainable …
      Not even for Radio 3, apparently, which is listened to significantly by pensioners.

It has become progressively more obvious that the BBC sees two distinct audiences: the 'pensioners' which (in spite of the 'ageing population' argument) is a contracting audience on the one hand, and the younger audience which is expanding and increasingly focused on its own distinctive interests.

This is why it 'makes sense' to focus the peak listening time (mornings for radio) on the new/younger audience, and leave the 'pensioners' to pick around for something that suits them at the less popular times. It doesn't appear, as yet, that this strategy is being particularly successful where Radio 3 is concerned.
      It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Bryn
        Banned
        • Mar 2007

If https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/help/co...oducing-sounds is anything to go by, the changes to access to what used to be called the iPlayer are pretty much cosmetic. Getting at what you want may be rather more hassle, but it is still accesible, and it seems likely to remain so, at least for the time being. That siad, it still seems me to be a case of "If it ain't broke, break it".

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
          Host
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
          when the iplayer stops relaying earlier radio programmes
          Whaaaaaaaaaat??
          "...the isle is full of noises,
          Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
          Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
          Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Lat-Literal
            • Aug 2015

Really don't know where they get these ridiculous notions from. If the word "Radio" is going to be removed and replaced by the word "Sounds" they might as well take it to the level of "egg" and "Tonik" and call it "wombbat" and, yes, with two b's. Maybe they just have given up on radio altogether and this is just the penultimate indicator of it? Otherwise, what is the explanation for "Television" not being replaced by "Sights"? Please vote for me. I am a one policy candidate, standing on a ticket of replacing the words "Tony" and "Hall" with "People".

Comment

• Bryn
              Banned
              • Mar 2007

I get the impression that Jim Waterson is as confused as anyone regarding the changes. Where he gets the idea of the iPlayer being axed, I do not know. The Beeb's own FAQs and other help pages suggest it's more a change of name than a swing of the axe.

"the functionality of the new Sounds homepage matches the old iPlayer Radio homepage but the new URL is www.bbc.co.uk/sounds."

Comment

• Lat-Literal
                • Aug 2015

Slightly off topic but what the heck. Everything else is these days.

I was absolutely fascinated, not to say somewhat flabbergasted, to read this week that a non camping festival venue for rock and pop concerts at which I saw Stevie Wonder some years ago and even earlier New Order - there might have been one other along the way but I never really took to it or its clientele of stockbrokers/yobs - will only continue to hold its key festival if it complies, among other things, with a blanket no swearing policy and no extreme clothing. The place is Finsbury Park although it used to be Hyde. The council is dear old Haringey. I immediately assumed the decision had been taken by a not entirely holy alliance of elected-on-30% white British jobsworths and devout Muslims. Almost certainly, I'm right.

Personally, I think the clothing order is ludicrous - if you want to go nude etc. - but the Lily Allen style swearing thing has always got on my wick. Now I almost regret its loss for yet again one just longs for a common sense happy medium. The name of it? "Wireless". That has again been a trendy word for almost a couple of decades. So I reckon they should ditch BBC Sounds and call it BBC Wireless. And in order that everyone is suitably back in the 1950s when the bomb drops, perhaps the Chancellor will now do us a big favour and issue to every household a valve radio similar to ones of that era. They would boost national morale and while valves take an eternity to warm up, they are still in the main faster than any App.

Confusion reigns around licensing conditions of annual hip-hop event after residents’ group takes offence at performers’ language
                Last edited by Lat-Literal; 28-10-18, 20:11.

Comment

• Bryn
                  Banned
                  • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Lat-Literal View Post
                  . . . in order that everyone is suitably back in the 1950s when the bomb drops, perhaps the Chancellor will now do us all a very big favour and issue to every household a valve radio similar to those of that era. They would boost national morale and while the valves take an eternity to warm up, they are still in the main much faster than the internet.
                  And more resistant to EMP than transistor based equipment.
                  Last edited by Bryn; 28-10-18, 20:56. Reason: Typo. "than" intended, not "that".

Comment

• Lat-Literal
                    • Aug 2015

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                    And more resistant to EMP that transistor based equipment.
                    Ahem, I do know what the modern wireless is, sort of, and I may even have one. Not sure. I wouldn't call myself a technician. Consequently, I am assuming that your post relates to the older technology in which the plus and minus of the introduction of the transistor radio was that it could be both a companion in bed and a way of having in one's bedroom Radio 1. I am nostalgic for the times I never knew. It wasn't as obvious that there were (k)nobs in so-called high places. At the time - this was long before I was born - I was calling Luxembourg:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a2GpEoZrS04
                    Last edited by Lat-Literal; 28-10-18, 20:33.

Comment

• Lat-Literal
                      • Aug 2015

To get this back on track, the historical allure of radio was in its "almost" lack of access. From short wave radio and Wolfman Jack and somehow tuning in when the elements were right from North America to Mexico - genuinely amazing - through boats bobbing off Felixstowe and onto CB radio, this was exploration for the majority of people. Less arduous and less self-congratulatory than conquering Everest. Those "in charge" now. They haven't a clue and they don't know what they are doing. Somehow the accent on greater access is mixed up in their heads with mystery which is not a mystery. It's just a blimmin' nuisance. I find it hugely exasperating and, yes, a bit sad. At the end of the day, there is a service to be provided.

Comment

• MrGongGong
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Lat-Literal View Post
                        Almost certainly, I'm right.
                        erm
                        I would suggest ACE inhibitors

Comment

• Bryn
                          Banned
                          • Mar 2007

You goralaff. At the end of tonight's Doctor Who was an announcement re. the chance to listen to an interview of Jodie Auckland Whittaker by Chris Evens, which can be accessed via "the iPlayer radio".

Comment

• Lat-Literal
                            • Aug 2015

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post
                            erm
                            I would suggest ACE inhibitors
                            Overrated.

I was put on them briefly at 23 for a persistent irregular heartbeat, only to find that the immediate solution was less coffee.

It was very fortunate that I was advised by a medical profession with a brilliant mind who had only recently arrived in Croydon from Baghdad.

My table tennis had suffered in the interim. In parallel, I simply studied, albeit in the field of snooker, the late Bill Werbeniuk.

Comment

• LMcD
                              • Sep 2017

The message doesn't seem to have reached all programme producers/presenters, as references to 'iPlayer' and to 'Sounds' are occurring in roughly equal numbers.

Comment

Working...
                              X