Shreddies

What happens next?
  • french frank
    Administrator/Moderator
    • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
    What happens next?
    Are we talking about Banksy?
    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
      Host
      • Nov 2010

I prefer Alpen.

Comment

• Dave2002
        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post
        Are we talking about Banksy?
        Banksy posts video of £1m painting shredding stunt at Sotheby's http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-bristol-45770028

Comment

• gradus
          • Nov 2010

Doubling in price of shredded image and great acclaim by critics - further proof if any were needed of the genius of Banksy.

Comment

• MrGongGong
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by gradus View Post
            Doubling in price of shredded image and great acclaim by critics - further proof if any were needed of the genius of Banksy.
            "Genuis" ?
            I don't think so
            Derivative and cliche-ridden more like

But I guess the idea that destruction can be part of artmaking is news to people who have no knowledge of 20th Century art history

Comment

• Bryn
              Banned
              • Mar 2007

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post
              "Genuis" ?
              I don't think so

But I guess the idea that destruction can be part of artmaking is news to people who have no knowledge of 20th Century art history
              The shreds should have been made self-igniting, too.

Comment

• gradus
                • Nov 2010

"Genuis" ?
                I don't think so

I bow to your learning.

Comment

• french frank
                  Administrator/Moderator
                  • Feb 2007

"Genuis" ?
                  I don't think so

I think that's a bit sour. Even adapting a basic idea to a modern context requires some original thought. Yes, there's the showmanship of creating something to occur in public at a particular moment, but I'm not sure that it's 'the idea that destruction can be part of artmaking'. Isn't it a statement about his work being sold for a million pounds and the 'value of art' (and if it went to auction it would be likely to fetch a large sum). Is that a valid way to spend such a large sum of money?

Banksy is far more about social comment than making a statement about 'art' and 'artmaking'.
                  It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• ardcarp
                    Late member
                    • Nov 2010

I'm always wary when artists have to say a lot about their work. At least Banksy doesn't say much, though destruction can hardly qualify as creativity.....

Comment

• Bryn
                      Banned
                      • Mar 2007

Originally posted by ardcarp View Post
                      I'm always wary when artists have to say a lot about their work. At least Banksy doesn't say much, though destruction can hardly qualify as creativity.....
                      Shades of Schumpeter in art?

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                        Host
                        • Nov 2010

So next time I play at a wedding, having charged (and been paid) a large amount, is it OK for me to destroy the performance and called it the Emperor's New Tune?

Comment

• MrGongGong
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                          I think that's a bit sour. Even adapting a basic idea to a modern context requires some original thought. Yes, there's the showmanship of creating something to occur in public at a particular moment, but I'm not sure that it's 'the idea that destruction can be part of artmaking'. Isn't it a statement about his work being sold for a million pounds and the 'value of art' (and if it went to auction it would be likely to fetch a large sum). Is that a valid way to spend such a large sum of money?

Banksy is far more about social comment than making a statement about 'art' and 'artmaking'.
                          Ok it probably was a bit "sour" and it's a clever use of technology
                          but if his comment was about the daft "art market" and how the value of objects is dependent on context he is, (compared to Bill Drummond and Jimmy Cauty who really did burn £1,000,000) a bit of a novice.
                          The shredded paper is much more valuable than the "original" anyway. Which , to me, seems rather obvious.

And doesn't it just play into the tedious ENC narrative of contemporary art being some kind of "scam"? (new clothes and all that)
                          Last edited by MrGongGong; 07-10-18, 17:25.

Comment

• MrGongGong
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ardcarp View Post
                            though destruction can hardly qualify as creativity.....
                            OOOOOOOOO yes it can

Comment

• vinteuil
                              • Nov 2010

... the great precedent perhaps Bartlebooth in Perec's Life: A User's Manual -

Comment

Working...
                              X