X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • subcontrabass
    • Nov 2010

The Lure of Classic FM

The classical music station has seen a 30% leap in younger people listening to it in the past 18 months. What is the secret of its growing appeal?
  • kernelbogey
    • Nov 2010

Well I read this and thought of posting but decided it is of little interest here. There is no mention of Radio Three.

On the other hand, perhaps that should concern us.

However, it's just one opinion.

Comment

• oddoneout
      • Nov 2015

The comments are more worthwhile than the article in some respects. This one I found interesting.

I listen to Classic FM because I want relaxing, soothing music, not inane chatter, vocoder nonsense etc., which works really well until the adverts come on.....some of these, with their constant repetition, will drive you nuts (I understand, that to an extent, this is the nature of the beast which is commercial radio - another reason why I am thankful for the BBC). However, the night-time programmes have less of them and can be marvellously relaxing and hugely enjoyable.

My usual strategy is to switch to Radio 3 when the adverts come on. If I like what I hear, I stick with it. My preference would probably be to avoid the adverts altogether and stick with Radio 3, but it has been distinctly noticeable over the past couple of years that they don't so much play music these days, but instead talk about music instead...often incessantly.

Less talk, more music please, Radio 3.

Comment

• LMcD
        • Sep 2017

Originally posted by kernelbogey View Post
        Well I read this and thought of posting but decided it is of little interest here. There is no mention of Radio Three.

On the other hand, perhaps that should concern us.

However, it's just one opinion.
        I think it should. This is an article about young people's attitude to classical music and it doesn't mention Radio 3. Might this not suggest that the latter is therefore perceived to be irrelevant to the subject under discussion?
        I sometimes listen to the 'Full Works' concert. When I feel like dabbling in what one might call the 'lighter' end of the spectrum, I enjoy listening, for example, to Alexander Armstrong's choice of music for an early afternoon at the weekend - an ideal accompaniment to a nice game of Scrabble . I also find that David Mellor's manner makes for pleasant listening. I feel that these two lack - thankfully - the determined, almost desperate, false inclusivity that some Radio 3 presenters - Tom Service, Ian Skelly and Suzie Klein - seem to affect.
        I long ago decided that it was not a matter of listening to Radio 3 OR Classic FM. (I even listen to RTE's Lyric FM on occasions).
        Last edited by LMcD; 30-08-18, 13:39.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
          Gone fishin'
          • Sep 2011

Originally posted by LMcD View Post
          I think it should. This is an article about young people's attitude to classical music and it doesn't mention Radio 3. Might this not suggest that it is therefore perceived to be irrelevant to the subject under discussion?
          Perhaps; but given that the "Classical Music" mentioned in this article was the film scores of Morricone, Zimmer, and Williams, and that only Bach was mentioned in passing, it might also suggest that the (lone) young person here finds vast areas of repertoire "irrelevant"?

The thing that most concerns me is the idea that the Beeb bosses will read the article and conclude that all "young people" share the opinions expressed in it, and decide to incorporate even more CFM-type repertoire on R3, at the expense of ....
          [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• LMcD
            • Sep 2017

Both Radio 3 and Classic FM meet my listening needs in different ways at different times. The latter seems more confident about achieving its (admittedly less challenging) objective, while the former seems to be trying to proceed in different directions, sometimes unsure of where its audience is to be found. Somebody from Classic FM once cheerfully admitted that it is a pop music station that happens to play classical music. Who's to say that this isn't what some people are looking for? And who are we to say that some of them will not go on to develop a deeper understanding of classical music, possibly through Radio 3 and possibly not?
            I've just started to work my way through my recently purchased 4-CD set of British symphonies on Lyrita, and I don't think I'm likely to hear ANY of them on either Classic FM or Radio 3. I also watch/listen to a lot of music, some of it definitely off the beaten track, on YouTube.
            My conclusion is therefore is that a 'pick and mix' policy will serve me very well.
            Perhaps Radio 3 should look upon Classic FM as a kind of 'prep school' some of whose pupils will find their way to it. Among my friends and acquaintances of all ages, the number that listen to Radio 3 - or have even heard of it ('Oh, do you mean Classic FM?') can be counted on the proverbial fingers of the proverbial one hand.

Comment

• french frank
              Administrator/Moderator
              • Feb 2007

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
              The thing that most concerns me is the idea that the Beeb bosses will read the article and conclude that all "young people" share the opinions expressed in it, and decide to incorporate even more CFM-type repertoire on R3, at the expense of ....
              Yes, I don't read it as being about CFM v. R3. It's about two different products. Labelling them both as "classical music" misrepresents them. I've also come across the 'Classic FM is attracting more young listeners' headline before and I'm not sure it's all it claims to be.

If you include the under 35s the audience 'leaps to one million' according to the article. But a year ago 1.2 million were under 35.
              It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• cloughie
                • Dec 2011

Originally posted by LMcD View Post
                Both Radio 3 and Classic FM meet my listening needs in different ways at different times. The latter seems more confident about achieving its (admittedly less challenging) objective, while the former seems to be trying to proceed in different directions, sometimes unsure of where its audience is to be found. Somebody from Classic FM once cheerfully admitted that it is a pop music station that happens to play classical music. Who's to say that this isn't what some people are looking for? And who are we to say that some of them will not go on to develop a deeper understanding of classical music, possibly through Radio 3 and possibly not?
                I've just started to work my way through my recently purchased 4-CD set of British symphonies on Lyrita, and I don't think I'm likely to hear ANY of them on either Classic FM or Radio 3. I also watch/listen to a lot of music, some of it definitely off the beaten track, on YouTube.
                My conclusion is therefore is that a 'pick and mix' policy will serve me very well.
                Perhaps Radio 3 should look upon Classic FM as a kind of 'prep school' some of whose pupils will find their way to it. Among my friends and acquaintances of all ages, the number that listen to Radio 3 - or have even heard of it ('Oh, do you mean Classic FM?') can be counted on the proverbial fingers of the proverbial one hand.
                LMcD, I agree very much with what you say and taking on the ‘prep school’ theme on, if there are young listeners to CFM who think they are ready to make the move to something bigger then the current fare of R3 is going to be a disappointing letdown.

Comment

• Stunsworth
                  • Nov 2010

I know which one I'd be listening to if I were in need of a Stena Stairlift!
                  Steve

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Stunsworth View Post
                    I know which one I'd be listening to if I were in need of a Stena Stairlift!
                    Stannah...... Stun!

Comment

• Oldcrofter
                      • Dec 2010

Guardian article re Radio 3 here:

The classical music station’s morning programme has seen an 11% rise in listeners, but it must be bolder and broader if it wants to attract new listeners elsewhere

Homework: Compare & contrast

Comment

• zola
                        • May 2011

Of course Radio 3 is free from adverts. Apart from for itself. And Radio 4. And BBC1. With as much repetition as paid for ads on any commercial station.

Comment

• Stunsworth
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                          Stannah...... Stun!
                          Fair enough, add a pair of reading glasses to the shopping list.
                          Steve

Comment

• LMcD
                            • Sep 2017

Originally posted by Oldcrofter View Post
                            Guardian article re Radio 3 here:

The classical music station’s morning programme has seen an 11% rise in listeners, but it must be bolder and broader if it wants to attract new listeners elsewhere

Homework: Compare & contrast
                            Many thanks for the link - I think this is an excellent article. I'm one of the 64,000, I guess, inasmuch as I listen to 'Today' for a while - an increasingly short while as time passes - before retuning to Radio 3. If I want to follow up any news stories that feature in the Radio 3 news summaries I'll visit the BBC News website.

Comment

• antongould
                              • Nov 2010

"Much of the rest of the schedule is lacklustre. Essential Classics, between 9am and noon, is dire: terrible, cliched little featurettes; mindless broadcasting of listeners’ emails and tweets; a predictable roster of music. Ditto Composer of the Week, which generally packages Wikipedia-level info about dead composers. ........ "

Whilst I would obviously be alone in disagreeing with the first part, surely there may be others who don't support the second ...... ?????

Comment

Working...
                              X