X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Old Grumpy
    • Jan 2011

Betrayal of the middle classes?

My local Waitrose appears to no longer stock bars of Imperial Leather soap...

... what is the world coming to?
    Last edited by Old Grumpy; 23-08-18, 21:42. Reason: Addition of definite article
  • Andrew Slater
    • Mar 2007

We MUST get that remedied - Cussons are a major Hallé sponsor

Comment

• Bryn
      Banned
      • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Old Grumpy View Post

... what is world coming to?
      That's nothing. Despite the carbon dioxide shortage now being basically a thing of the past, the local Waitrose, in the town where they are based, has still not yet restocked with the 2-litre bottles of their own label ginger beer!

Comment

• LMcD
        • Sep 2017

Our Co-op Supermarket no longer stocks those wonderful Black Farmer sausages.

Comment

• Old Grumpy
          • Jan 2011

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
          That's nothing. Despite the carbon dioxide shortage now being basically a thing of the past, the local Waitrose, in the town where they are based, has still not yet restocked with the 2-litre bottles of their own label ginger beer!
          Carbon dioxide is basically acidic, so basically a shortage would be basic perhaps?

OG

Comment

• edashtav
            • Jul 2012

Carbon dioxide is basically acidic, so basically a shortage would be basic perhaps?

OG
            Nice one, Old Grumpy. Basically, Bryn’s favourite ginger beer is swimming in carbonic acid with free molecular carbon dioxide held in solution by pressure.

Comment

• Old Grumpy
              • Jan 2011

Do you think that resembles the vessel in which he would usually drink it?

Comment

• teamsaint
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by edashtav View Post
                Nice one, Old Grumpy. Basically, Bryn’s favourite ginger beer is swimming in carbonic acid with free molecular carbon dioxide held in solution by pressure.
                Yum !!

Ever considered a career move into marketing, Ed ?

( Waitrose lemonade , Aspartame free WAS my preferred brand, but I have a horrible feeling that Ed can end that all with one swift scientific swipe......)
                I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• edashtav
                  • Jul 2012

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
                  Yum !!

( Waitrose lemonade , Aspartame free WAS my preferred brand, but I have a horrible feeling that Ed can end that all with one swift scientific swipe......)
                  Well, ts, I think your choice is a wise one: real lemonade from lemon concentrate, yes made bubbly by carbon dioxide probably produced as a by-product of fertiliser manufacture butvsweetened with real sugar, That must be better than employing aspartame. Alright, aspartame is hundreds of times sweeter, gram for gram, than sucrose (cane sugar) but in high concentrations it is believed to be injurious to health. Sucrose fattens... so be sparing with your consumption. With that priviso, ts is a sensible, cautious consumer.

Comment

• teamsaint
                    • Nov 2010

Course I am !!

Thanks Ed, TBH I only drink a few cans a year, and little else in the way of fizzy soft drinks, so I am ok on thay score at least !
                    One of the few letters of complaint I have ever written was to Tesco, who don’t sell any aspartame free lemonade at all, complaining about this lack.They ignored me.
                    I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Bryn
                      Banned
                      • Mar 2007

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
                      Yum !!

Yes, though I am not that fond of Sucralose, I find it less objectionable that Aspartame. I think Tesco's own label carbonated soft drinks may have been reformulated recently, i.e. since the introduction of the sugar tax.

Comment

• johncorrigan
                        • Nov 2010

... what is the world coming to?
                        It's the vegans to blame, I reckon!

Comment

• Lat-Literal
                          • Aug 2015

Have Rose's stopped making lime only marmalade?

I can only find the lemon and lime these days.

Imperial Leather is a mixed bag.

As someone who can generally only have Simple Soap, standard IL is the one bar I can use sparingly if I want a bit of proper soap.

The white IL on the other hand tears my skin to shreds.

Comment

• Pabmusic
                            • May 2011

Originally posted by LMcD View Post
                            Our Co-op Supermarket no longer stocks those wonderful Black Farmer sausages.
                            Perhaps reflecting the “hostile environment”, the market has shrunk and there probably aren't many black farmers left.

Comment

• Pabmusic
                              • May 2011

Originally posted by edashtav View Post
                              Well, ts, I think your choice is a wise one: real lemonade from lemon concentrate, yes made bubbly by carbon dioxide probably produced as a by-product of fertiliser manufacture butvsweetened with real sugar, That must be better than employing aspartame. Alright, aspartame is hundreds of times sweeter, gram for gram, than sucrose (cane sugar) but in high concentrations it is believed to be injurious to health. Sucrose fattens... so be sparing with your consumption. With that priviso, ts is a sensible, cautious consumer.
                              All supermarket lemonade contains dihydrogen monoxide of course.

Comment

Working...
                              X