X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Flosshilde
    • Nov 2010

Margaret Tyzack RIP

The wonderful Margaret Tyzack has just died. I remember her as the noble Antonia in I, Claudius, and as Queen Anne. She was a very versatile actress.

One of Britain's most distinguished actors, known for her roles on stage and screen
  • Stillhomewardbound
    • Nov 2010

I think she was one of the most garlanded of actresses of any age without having to endure the kind of 'national trerasure' or dame-ish labelling that has beset the Dame Maggies and Judes.

She could go on a stage and be the character she had worked hard to create and I believe that was very much how she liked it.

SHB

Comment

• french frank
      Administrator/Moderator
      • Feb 2007

Another thread here in the cultivated backwater known as Arts & Ideas.
      It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Flosshilde
        • Nov 2010

Oh dear - sorry. For some reason I don't look at Art & Ideas - I don't usually look any further than 'Classical forum'

Comment

• french frank
          Administrator/Moderator
          • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Flosshilde View Post
          Oh dear - sorry. For some reason I don't look at Art & Ideas - I don't usually look any further than 'Classical forum'
          Not at all. It gives an opportunity to remind people at large that Arts & Ideas exists and might be of occasional, surprising interest to people who don't usually venture over there
          It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Pianorak
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Stillhomewardbound View Post
            I think she was one of the most garlanded of actresses of any age without having to endure the kind of 'national trerasure' or dame-ish labelling that has beset the Dame Maggies and Judes.
            But probably escaped the dame-ish labelling only by the skin of her teeth?

Cf. Margaret Tyzack was appointed OBE in 1970 and CBE in 2010. From Obit in today's DT.
            My life, each morning when I dress, is four and twenty hours less. (J Richardson)

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by Flosshilde View Post
              The wonderful Margaret Tyzack has just died. I remember her as the noble Antonia in I, Claudius, and as Queen Anne. She was a very versatile actress.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/tv-and-rad...yzack-obituary
              I'm very sad to read of the relatively early death of this wonderful actress and can only throw up my hands and say 'thank goodness' when I read in Carole Woddis' Guardian obit that "..last Christmas. Illness compelled her to withdraw from a role in the television soap EastEnders in April."

Comment

• MickyD
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Stillhomewardbound View Post

She could go on a stage and be the character she had worked hard to create and I believe that was very much how she liked it.

SHB
                Does anyone remember her wonderful performance alongside Maggie Smith in "Lettice and Lovage"? Definitely amongst my best theatre memories.

Comment

• Stillhomewardbound
                  • Nov 2010

I never saw the production but it went to Broadway. At first, their equivalent of Equity insisted on recasting Tyzack's part with an American actor, but Maggie Smith refused to appear without Tyzack.

Quite right too, as she went on to win a Tony for her performance.

Comment

Working...
                  X