X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ahinton
    • Nov 2010

Wanda Wiłkomirska R.I.P.

- Była przede wszystkim świetną skrzypaczką i propagatorką polskiej literatury skrzypcowej - przypominał Konstanty Andrzej Kulka, wspominając zmarłą 1 maja w wieku 89 lat Wandę Wiłkomirską.
  • Petrushka
    • Nov 2010

This is sad news. Wanda Wilkomirska played the Mendelssohn Violin Concerto at my second ever classical concert (Halle Orchestra/John Pritchard, March 7 1975).
    "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• Dave2002
      • Dec 2010

Or in a form of garbled English - translated by a computer program

At the age of 89, the violinist Wanda Wiłkomirska died. She came from a well-deserved family of Polish music. She has given concerts on five continents, giving recitals and playing with leading orchestras under the baton of such masters as Otto Klemperer, Leonard Bernstein and Zubin Mehta. She also did chamber music, playing with her siblings as the "Wiłkomirski Trio", as well as with Martha Argerich, Daniel Barenboim, Gidon Kremer, Mischa Maisky.
      Professor Wanda Wiłkomirska

She was a laureate of four international competitions: in Geneva, Budapest, Bach Competition in Leipzig and the Competition. Wieniawski in Poznan.

For 22 years she was a soloist of the National Philharmonic in Warsaw, accompanying the orchestra on her travels. She was also invited to a tour by other Polish and foreign orchestras. As a soloist, she participated in the inauguration of the National Philharmonic, rebuilt after the war in Warsaw, in the opening of the Barbican Hall in London, gave the inaugural recital and performed at the first concert of the Sydney Symphony orchestra in the Sydney Opera House.

A soloist of the National Philharmonic was created especially for her.

After December 13, 1981, during martial law, she left the country. She returned only after the fall of communism in 1990.

Wanda Wiłkomirska was the first performer of numerous works by Polish, German and Australian composers; some of them were dedicated to her. She received many medals, prizes and distinctions for her musical activity.

We will remember the outstanding violinist on Wednesday (2.05) of the "Morning Two".
      There was no way I could translate Polish into English without using automation.

Comment

• Barbirollians
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
        Or in a form of garbled English - translated by a computer program

There was no way I could translate Polish into English without using automation.
        Very sad news. A terrific violinist.

Comment

• gurnemanz
          • Nov 2010

I thought I could remember hearing her once ages ago and have dug out a programme for a Gewandhaus concert in Leipzig Feb 1975. I hadn't remembered what she was playing but on reading that it was the Britten Concerto, memories returned - it was the first time I heard the work. It was the only time I saw her. RIP.
          The concert, conducted by Kurt Masur was interestingly put together, also including Berg's Symphonische Stucke from Lulu and Bethoven's First Symphony.

Comment

• ahinton
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
            Sorry about the language; I couldn't find anything in English on the subject at the time!

Comment

• ahinton
              • Nov 2010

Here's one that's not in Polish!

I didn't hear her play those two Bacewicz concertos or know when she did so; I'd like to think that Bacewicz, herself a formidable violinist, did so...

Comment

Working...
              X