Old Radio 3 recordings - does anybody have any....?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • french frank
    Administrator/Moderator
    • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Angle View Post
    How many of you, I wonder, recorded Radio 3 (and earlier) radio plays. It is an area of particular interest to me - I have been collecting them for years.
    Mine would probably overlap with your later ones. I have minidiscs from the 2000s though I confess I don't ever listen to them (I have kept my small hi-fi which still plays minidiscs, just in case).
    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Andrew Slater
      • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Angle View Post
      How many of you, I wonder, recorded Radio 3 (and earlier) radio plays. It is an area of particular interest to me - I have been collecting them for years. The Third and Radio 3 were the homes of experimental plays specifically written for the medium of radio. It would be wonderful to hear that some have survived the years in remote collections.
      I have a few, but probably all from the last 20 or so years.

If you haven't found it already, the Diversity website might be of interest. It mentions the Radio Circle, a group of collectors.

Comment

• Angle
        • Dec 2010

Thank you, Andrew. I know the Diversity site well. I also know The Radio Circle.

Comment

• cmr_for3
          • Nov 2015

Originally posted by Andrew Slater View Post
          I think I have a recording of Douglas Vaughan somewhere. When I find it, I'll upload it.

In the meantime I've uploaded a recording of his colleague in Scotland, back-announcing a performance of Brahms' second piano concerto, in 1980. A glaring difference from nowadays is the time allowed from the end of the piece to the beginning of the announcement - almost a minute: 'slow radio' was invented before the Controller discovered it! Perhaps he could re-apply it to the concerts?
          Many thanks - just checked this thread again - what a nice surprise!

Comment

• cmr_for3
            • Nov 2015

Originally posted by Hornspieler View Post
            About half way through my period of working in Bristol, we received an instruction from Yalding House (part of Broadcasting House in London) instructing us that, due to the lack of storage space, we were to destroy all our vynil tapes of previously broadcast items. (Our masters from on high had decided to use only paper-backed recording tape, such as BASF and LR56 wanted to get their greedy hands on those big 17 inch aluminium reels.)

We had a considerable number of vynil recordings of great importance to us and to the Bournemouth orchestras and the Dartington string 4tet and there was no way that we were going to lose copies of our past recording triumphs.
            So we transferred those valuable and irreplaceable recordings on to 7 inch spools.

I ended up with all the Bournemouth recordings and these included Silvestri's Elgar first symphony and Allasio Overture "In the South" and a lot of Vaughan Williams, William Walton and Malcolm Arnold.

I am preparing a list of those recordings and of many others on open-reel spools, cassettes, and CDs.
            If any of these excite your attention, PM me and let's enter into a discussion.

I also have a 4 track stereo recorder which, like those open reels, I have no need to use.

Suggestions? Send me a private message.

HS
            This is where I show my complete ignorance of classical music - I'm here to educate myself! That's a kind offer I will PM you.

Comment

• Andrew Slater
              • Mar 2007

Patricia Hughes reading an extract from W. H. Mallock's translation of Lucretius on life and death, in a short concert interval on 25th June 1984:

Comment

• Hornspieler
                Late Member
                • Sep 2012

Originally posted by cmr_for3 View Post
                Many thanks - just checked this thread again - what a nice surprise!
                As promised in my previous Post, here is a list of recordings of the Bournemouth Symphony Orchestra from early 1958, when I joined as a player to 1976; when., as Manager of the BBC Training Orchestra in Bristol, I was asked to undertake supervision and production of several recordings for BBC transmission; including the Bournemouth Symphony and Sinfonietta Orchestras.

F-10b Shostakovitch, D Symphony Nº 7 (Leningrad) Bournemouth S.O/Berglund
                B- 8b Bruckner, Anton Symphony Nº 3 Bournemouth S.O/Berglund
                D- 1 Kodály, Zoltan Suite: Háry János Bournemouth S.O/Berglund
                G- 4 Sibelius, Jan Kullervo Symphony Bournemouth S.O/Berglund
                G- 3a Sibelius, Jan Symphony Nº 2 in D Bournemouth S.O/Berglund
                L- 3b Smetana, B Ma Vlast (Vltava etc.) Bournemouth S.O/Berglund
                F- 7 Saint-Saens, C Symphony Nº 3 (Organ) Bournemouth S.O/Hurst
                F-10a Shostakovitch, D Symphony Nº 6 Bournemouth S.O/Sanderling
                B- 6a Brahms, Johannes Serenade Op. 11 Bournemouth Sinfonietta/Montgomery
                H- 6 Strauss, Richard Le Bourgoise Gentilhomme Bournemouth Sinfonietta/Montgomery
                B- 6a Strauss, Richard Oboe Concerto (Heinz Holliger) Bournemouth Sinfonietta/Montgomery
                H- 6 Strauss, Richard Metamorphosen Bournemouth Sinfonietta/Montgomery
                C-10 Beethoven L. van Symphony Nº 6 in F Op.68 BSO/Groves
                C-10 Walton, William Symphony Nº 2 in E flat BSO/Groves
                G-11 Arnold, Malcolm Ov. Beckus the Dandipratt BSO/Silvestri
                G- 5a Beethoven L. van Ov. Leonora Nº 1 BSO/Silvestri
                H- 7a Beethoven L. van Symphony Nº 8 in F Op.93 BSO/Silvestri
                H- 5a Borodin A The Steppes of Central Asia BSO/Silvestri
                G- 5b Britten,Benjamin 4 Sea Interludes BSO/Silvestri
                G- 5b Debussy, Claude Jeux BSO/Silvestri
                G- 6 Debussy, Claude Iberia BSO/Silvestri
                H- 7b Debussy, Claude La Mer BSO/Silvestri
                H- 7a Delius, Frederick Paris BSO/Silvestri
                H- 5a Dukas, Paul L'Apprenti Sorcier BSO/Silvestri
                G-12b Dvorak, Antonin Symphony Nº 9 (New World) BSO/Silvestri
                G-11 Elgar, Sir Edward Overture: Cockaigne BSO/Silvestri
                G-11 Elgar, Sir Edward Symphony Nº 1 in A flat BSO/Silvestri
                G- 5b Enescu, Georges Rumanian Rhapsody Nº 1 BSO/Silvestri
                G- 8 Enescu, Georges Rumanian Rhapsody Nº 1 BSO/Silvestri
                G- 8 Falla, Manuel de El Amor Brujo BSO/Silvestri
                H- 4b Falla, Manuel de El Amor Brujo suites 1 & 2 BSO/Silvestri
                H- 1 Franck, César Symphony in D minor BSO/Silvestri
                H- 7a Handel, G F Music for the Royal Fireworks BSO/Silvestri
                G-12b Hindemith, Paul Mathis der Mahler BSO/Silvestri
                H- 5a Mussorgsky Night on a Bare Mountain BSO/Silvestri
                G- 8 Prokofiev, S Classical Symphony BSO/Silvestri
                H- 7b Rachmaninoff, S Symphony Nº 3 BSO/Silvestri
                H- 5a Ravel, Maurice Pavan por une Infante Defunte BSO/Silvestri
                G- 9 Reger, Max Beethoven Variations BSO/Silvestri
                G- 7 Rimsky Korsakov Capriccio Espagnol BSO/Silvestri
                H- 2a Rimsky Korsakov Scheherazade BSO/Silvestri
                H- 5a Saint-Saens, C Danse Macabre BSO/Silvestri
                G-10 Schubert, Franz Symphony Nº 6 in C BSO/Silvestri
                G- 8 Shostakovitch, D Symphony Nº 1 BSO/Silvestri
                G- 2 Shostakovitch, D Symphony Nº 8 in C minor BSO/Silvestri
                H- 7a Strauss, Richard Don Juan BSO/Silvestri
                G-12a Strauss, Richard Tod und Verklarung BSO/Silvestri
                G- 6 Stravinsky, I Suite: Petrushka BSO/Silvestri
                C- 6b Tchaikowsky, P Italian Caprice BSO/Silvestri
                C- 6b Tchaikowsky, P Ov. 1812 BSO/Silvestri
                G- 5b Tchaikowsky, P Symphony Nº 2 in C minor BSO/Silvestri
                G-10 Tchaikowsky, P Symphony Nº 3 (Polish) BSO/Silvestri
                G- 5a Tchaikowsky, P Symphony Nº 5 in E minor BSO/Silvestri
                H- 5a Vaughan Williams Ov. The Wasps BSO/Silvestri
                H- 5a Vaughan Williams Tallis Fantasia BSO/Silvestri
                G-12b Walton, William Ov: Portsmouth Point BSO/Silvestri
                H- 7b Walton, William Partita BSO/Silvestri
                [/COLOR]

Quite a collection! They are all on my shelves somewhere; but, as many of us have learned to our cost, CDs do not remain untarnished by the passage of time and the perils of electrical interference from adjacent sources.

Anyway- as the currently active Bookie adverts tell us on our TVs; "...when the fun stops - STOP!"

In 1976 I sold my instrument to my Music Teacher's son (Tim Brown) and became a Management and Productivity Consultant; working for the Manufacturing Industry, The NHS and Government Departments ( and doubling my income overnight.)

Hornspieler.
                Last edited by Hornspieler; 11-03-18, 16:03. Reason: Many Typos and misalignments

Comment

• gradus
                  • Nov 2010

As promised in my previous Post, here is a list of recordings of the Bournemouth Symphony Orchestra from early 1958, when I joined as a player to 1976; when., as Manager of the BBC Training Orchestra in Bristol, I was asked to undertake supervision and production of several recordings for BBC transmission; including the Bournemouth Symphony and Sinfonietta Orchestras.

Locn Composer Title Artist
                  F-10b Shostakovitch, D Symphony Nº 7 (Leningrad) Bournemouth S.O/Berglund
                  B- 8b Bruckner, Anton Symphony Nº 3 Bournemouth S.O/Berglund
                  D- 1 Kodály, Zoltan Suite: Háry János Bournemouth S.O/Berglund
                  G- 4 Sibelius, Jan Kullervo Symphony Bournemouth S.O/Berglund
                  G- 3a Sibelius, Jan Symphony Nº 2 in D Bournemouth S.O/Berglund
                  F-10a Shostakovitch, D Symphony Nº 6 Bournemouth S.O/Sanderling
                  B- 6a Brahms, Johannes Serenade Op. 11 Bournemouth Sinfonietta/Montgomery
                  H- 6 Strauss, Richard Le Bourgoise Gentilhomme Bournemouth Sinfonietta/Montgomery
                  B- 6a Strauss, Richard Oboe Concerto (Heinz Holliger) Bournemouth Sinfonietta/Montgomery
                  H- 6 Strauss, Richard Metamorphosen Bournemouth Sinfonietta/Montgomery
                  C-10 Beethoven L. van Symphony Nº 6 in F Op.68 BSO/Groves
                  C-10 Walton, William Symphony Nº 2 in E flat BSO/Groves
                  G-11 Arnold, Malcolm Ov. Beckus the Dandipratt BSO/Silvestri
                  G- 5a Beethoven L. van Ov. Leonora Nº 1 BSO/Silvestri
                  H- 7a Beethoven L. van Symphony Nº 8 in F Op.93 BSO/Silvestri
                  H- 5a Borodin A The Steppes of Central Asia BSO/Silvestri
                  G- 5b Britten,Benjamin 4 Sea Interludes BSO/Silvestri
                  G- 5b Debussy, Claude Jeux BSO/Silvestri
                  G- 6 Debussy, Claude Iberia BSO/Silvestri
                  H- 7b Debussy, Claude La Mer BSO/Silvestri
                  H- 7a Delius, Frederick Paris BSO/Silvestri
                  H- 5a Dukas, Paul L'Apprenti Sorcier BSO/Silvestri
                  G-12b Dvorak, Antonin Symphony Nº 9 (New World) BSO/Silvestri
                  G-11 Elgar, Sir Edward Overture: Cockaigne BSO/Silvestri
                  G-11 Elgar, Sir Edward Symphony Nº 1 in A flat BSO/Silvestri
                  G- 5b Enescu, Georges Rumanian Rhapsody Nº 1 BSO/Silvestri
                  G- 8 Enescu, Georges Rumanian Rhapsody Nº 1 BSO/Silvestri
                  G- 8 Falla, Manuel de El Amor Brujo BSO/Silvestri
                  H- 4b Falla, Manuel de El Amor Brujo suites 1 & 2 BSO/Silvestri
                  H- 1 Franck, César Symphony in D minor BSO/Silvestri
                  H- 7a Handel, G F Music for the Royal Fireworks BSO/Silvestri
                  G-12b Hindemith, Paul Mathis der Mahler BSO/Silvestri
                  H- 5a Mussorgsky Night on a Bare Mountain BSO/Silvestri
                  G- 8 Prokofiev, S Classical Symphony BSO/Silvestri
                  H- 7b Rachmaninoff, S Symphony Nº 3 BSO/Silvestri
                  H- 5a Ravel, Maurice Pavan por une Infante Defunte BSO/Silvestri
                  G- 9 Reger, Max Beethoven Variations BSO/Silvestri
                  G- 7 Rimsky Korsakov Capriccio Espagnol BSO/Silvestri
                  H- 2a Rimsky Korsakov Scheherazade BSO/Silvestri
                  H- 5a Saint-Saens, C Danse Macabre BSO/Silvestri
                  G-10 Schubert, Franz Symphony Nº 6 in C BSO/Silvestri
                  G- 8 Shostakovitch, D Symphony Nº 1 BSO/Silvestri
                  G- 2 Shostakovitch, D Symphony Nº 8 in C minor BSO/Silvestri
                  H- 7a Strauss, Richard Don Juan BSO/Silvestri
                  G-12a Strauss, Richard Tod und Verklarung BSO/Silvestri
                  G- 6 Stravinsky, I Suite: Petrushka BSO/Silvestri
                  C- 6b Tchaikowsky, P Italian Caprice BSO/Silvestri
                  C- 6b Tchaikowsky, P Ov. 1812 BSO/Silvestri
                  G- 5b Tchaikowsky, P Symphony Nº 2 in C minor BSO/Silvestri
                  G-10 Tchaikowsky, P Symphony Nº 3 (Polish) BSO/Silvestri
                  G- 5a Tchaikowsky, P Symphony Nº 5 in E minor BSO/Silvestri
                  H- 5a Vaughan Williams Ov. The Wasps BSO/Silvestri
                  H- 5a Vaughan Williams Tallis Fantasia BSO/Silvestri
                  G-12b Walton, William Ov: Portsmouth Point BSO/Silvestri
                  H- 7b Walton, William Partita BSO/Silvestri

Quite a collection! They are all on my shelves somewhere; but, as many of us have learned to our cost, CDs do not remain untarnished by the passage of time and the interference of electrical interference from adjacent sources.

Anyway- as the currently active Bookie adverts tell us on our TVs; "...when the fun stops - STOP!"

In 1976 I sold my instrument to my Music Teacher's son (Tim Brown) and became a Management and Productivity Consultant; working for the Manufacturing Industry, The NHS and Government Departments ( and doubling my income overnight.)

Hornspieler.
                  Gosh, would the British Library ex National Sound Archive take them on, it's quite a range work by one of the century's great conductors. I assume contract/copyright issues preclude sale but not private use?

Comment

• Hornspieler
                    Late Member
                    • Sep 2012

See me message #28:

So we transferred those valuable and irreplaceable recordings on to 7 inch spools.

I ended up with all the Bournemouth recordings and these included Silvestri's Elgar first symphony and Allasio Overture "In the South" and a lot of Vaughan Williams, William Walton and Malcolm Arnold.

I am preparing a list of those recordings and of many others on open-reel spools, cassettes, and CDs.
                    If any of these excite your attention, PM me and let's enter into a discussion.

I also have a 4 track stereo recorder which, like those open reels, I have no need to use.
                    I shall now compile a list of those recordings on 7inch open reel tapes.

There are some very interesting combinations of the performances of some of favourite orchestral performances by much loved conductors and orchestras from a bygone age.

No, I am not offering them for sale. The only price would be an undertaking to make a substantial contribution to a deserving charity, (Heart Desease, Cancer, The Blind, the Deaf for instance)

Remember, I also have these recordings on 7" spools and I also have a working
                    4 track tape recorder to play them on.

Watch this space!

HS

Comment

• Hornspieler
                      Late Member
                      • Sep 2012

"The King's Speech"

No, not the recent film - this is about a unique recording and certainly relevent to this thread.

See my message #28:
                      I shall now compile a list of those recordings on 7inch open reel tapes.

There are some very interesting combinations of the performances of some of favourite orchestral performances by much loved conductors and orchestras from a bygone age.

No, I am not offering them for sale. The only price would be an undertaking to make a substantial contribution to a deserving charity, (Heart Desease, Cancer, The Blind, the Deaf for instance)

Remember, I also have these recordings on 7" spools and I also have a working
                      4 track tape recorder to play them on.

Watch this space!
                      HS
                      One day, during my spell with the BBC in Bristol, my secretary Liz, came into the office to ask if I was interested in acquiring some old recordings.

Her landlady had told her that her recently deceased husband had acquired a whole host of old recordings and what should she do with them?

I was only too pleased to take them off the poor lady's hands.

No CDs, of course. No tape recordings in those days - these were all 78rpm vynil records.

Al Bowlly, with the Top Bands of the day:

Henry Hall (No relation to Albert!)
                      Geraldo
                      Ken (Snakehips) Johnson - sadly killed by a German Bomb along with most of his
                      "Wild West Indian Band" in a London Night Club

Harry Roy, Sid Phillips, Nat Gonella etc, etc.

But there was one record which had only a plain white label in its centre.

So I popped it onto my gramophone and found myself listening to an original recording of King Edward's VIIIs Abdication Speech to the Nation, directly recorded from the radio broadcast.

I'm not sure what happened to that vynil disk - or to many of the others, but I did copy that speech onto a 7" tape, and I still have it; along with many others that I copied onto tape at that time.

Please feel free to PM me with any comments or requests.

I am never far away from a keyboard,

HS

Comment

• Bryn
                        Banned
                        • Mar 2007

"The King's Speech"

No, not the recent film - this is about a unique recording and certainly relevent to this thread.
                        Any clearer than this recording of the Nazi fellow-traveller's disingenuous abdication speech?

Comment

• Hornspieler
                          Late Member
                          • Sep 2012

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                          Any clearer than this recording of the Nazi fellow-traveller's disingenuous abdication speech?

As usual, Bryn, I have no idea what you are talking about?

Comment

• Bryn
                            Banned
                            • Mar 2007

As usual, Bryn, I have no idea what you are talking about?
                            I was referring to the relative audio quality of the respective recordings of the speech in question.

Comment

• Karafan
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
                              ... I understand that for some sat-navs you can choose the voice you prefer. Interestingly most men seem to choose female voices rather than male. My brother has chosen Kathy Clugston...

Love Kathy's voice, delivery and intonation (but I wouldn't have married Mr. Clugston without the swift involvement of Deed Poll!) ;-)
                              "Let me have my own way in exactly everything, and a sunnier and more pleasant creature does not exist." Thomas Carlyle

Comment

• aeolium
                                • Nov 2010

Here is Michael Oliver, one of the R3 presenters and critics I particularly admired from the 1980s and 1990s, in an Interpretations on Record programme from the mid-90s:

It's the only IoR programme I've been able to locate and perhaps unusually was in a single-presenter format, a sort of extended BaL but without the goal of coming up with a library choice. I hope it's not infringement of copyright to make it available here, but it seemed to be publicly available on the website.

Comment

Working...
                                X