Old Radio 3 recordings - does anybody have any....?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Serial_Apologist
    • Dec 2010

I'm in a similar situation to Bryn: a boxful of reel-to-reels from 1960-67 broadcasts - some of which I transferred fairly successfully to cassette in 2000, having nothing to play them on otherwise - and more than 1000 cassettes of broadcasts, 50/50 jazz and mostly 20th century modern classical (as with the reel-to-reels) + one or two talks/discussions on favoured subjects I recorded from 1985 onwards, when I bought my first hi-fi with integrated double cassette player/recorder - an Amstrad - mostly all still in very good nick, though one or two broke and had to be ditched.

Comment

• MickyD
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Andrew Slater View Post
      Yes, and yes - all the uploads are from the CDs I sent you: the Mozart from your minidisc, the others from my archives - apologies for not crediting you
      Not at all, Andrew...I am forever in your debt for rescuing those programmes for me. They are very precious - particularly one of Sturm und Drang symphonies by the likes of Kozeluch and Ordonez. Those were heady times for the AAM, when they explored so much that was unknown.

Comment

• LMcD
        • Sep 2017

Originally posted by ChrisBennell View Post
        I have many examples recorded on Cassette from about 1979 to 1993 - some of the more interesting ones I have copied to hard disk, then CD, as the cassettes are now deteriorating. Some of my favorites include :

An extract from "At Home for Today" introduced by Jack Brymer and featuring the harpist Zicanor Zaboleta. (I wonder if this was actually from R4)
        A complete programme on Spanish 15C and 16C songs with copious introductions and the New London Consort.
        A complete programme on Soler and Scarlatti harpsichord sonatas, again with copious introductions.
        A concert featuring Les Noces (Stravinsky) with many pianists in their earlier career, and now well known, (Ian Brown, Malcolm Martineau etc)
        Nicanor...?

Comment

• Andrew Slater
          • Mar 2007

Something to make you weep - a weekday at 10am in 1983 with real full-length music and proper announcements. This is the end announcement after 'This Week's Composer' - Bax (Peter Barker), followed by the 10am shift change to Tony Scotland and an announcement for the first piece of a string quartet concert. Note the long silence after the Bax!

Comment

• MickyD
            • Nov 2010

I adored Tony Scotland's dry delivery.

I think it was he who once said, after a piece of music ran overtime and had the time signal superimposed over it, 'I do hope the Mendelssohn didn't detract from your enjoyment of the pips'.

Comment

• pastoralguy
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by MickyD View Post

I think it was he who once said, after a piece of music ran overtime and had the time signal superimposed over it, 'I do hope the Mendelssohn didn't detract from your enjoyment of the pips'.

Comment

• gradus
                • Nov 2010

Some old reel to reel off-air recordings here too but not yet transferred.
                My personal favourite R3 voice was Susan Sharpe who seems to have disappeared from the airwaves altogether. Perhaps like Penny Gore (sounds like her) who seems to be the voice of the Mercedes sat nav, she will turn up unexpectedly.

Comment

• underthecountertenor
                  • Apr 2011

Originally posted by MickyD View Post

According to this Daily Telegraph obituary, it was in fact the manzanilla-dry Tom Crowe, which sounds right to me.

Tom Crowe, who died on December 6 aged 88, was in his day one of the most distinctive and best-loved voices on Radio 3; he made his mark in the 1970s, in particular as the announcer, three times a month, on the early Monday morning slot, where his air of carefully controlled muddle and civilised puzzlement endeared him to listeners.

Comment

• vinteuil
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by gradus View Post
                    Perhaps like Penny Gore (sounds like her) who seems to be the voice of the Mercedes sat nav, she will turn up unexpectedly.
                    ... I understand that for some sat-navs you can choose the voice you prefer. Interestingly most men seem to choose female voices rather than male. My brother has chosen Kathy Clugston...

Comment

• MickyD
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by underthecountertenor View Post
                      According to this Daily Telegraph obituary, it was in fact the manzanilla-dry Tom Crowe, which sounds right to me.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/obit...Tom-Crowe.html
                      Ah, thanks for the correction...I had forgotten Tom Crowe, he was wonderful.

Comment

• Jonathan
                        • Mar 2007

I've got a few odds and ends - I had some requests played on Midweek Choice in the early 1990s so I recorded the music plus the introduction. I was also mentioned by Andrew Green as he played something on "In Tune" for me years ago - he actually rang me up and we had a chat about music, it turned out he grew up not far from where I lived at the time! However, in most cases the only things I was interested in was the music so I edited out the intros etc.
                        Best regards,
                        Jonathan

Comment

• Hornspieler
                          Late Member
                          • Sep 2012

When I was working for the BBC in Bristol, I was frequently asked to produce music broacasts, in addition to my duties as Manager of the BBC Training Orchestra (laughingly renamed as The Academy of the BBC)

The Announcer in Bristol, who covered all broadcasts was Douglas Vaughan. He always prepared his announcements most carefully and made a point of underlining those words which were essential to the radio listeners.

For instance:

[QUOTE] "This evening's broadcast is given by the Bournemouth Symphony orchestra, under their conductor Paavo Berglund The soloist in the Brahms piano concerto was Peter Katin"

HMPR (Head of Music Programmes Radio) was the former Cellist Eleanor Warren.She described Douglas Vaughan as " ...the best announcer on radio"..

Quite an accolade and IMV richly deserved. A colleague who was a pleasure to work with.

He had one bĂȘte noire - he always stumbled over the word "meteorological " and insisted upon saying ".. from the met office..."

HS
                          Last edited by Hornspieler; 24-02-18, 13:24. Reason: typo

Comment

• Hornspieler
                            Late Member
                            • Sep 2012

About half way through my period of working in Bristol, we received an instruction from Yalding House (part of Broadcasting House in London) instructing us that, due to the lack of storage space, we were to destroy all our vynil tapes of previously broadcast items. (Our masters from on high had decided to use only paper-backed recording tape, such as BASF and LR56 wanted to get their greedy hands on those big 17 inch aluminium reels.)

We had a considerable number of vynil recordings of great importance to us and to the Bournemouth orchestras and the Dartington string 4tet and there was no way that we were going to lose copies of our past recording triumphs.
                            So we transferred those valuable and irreplaceable recordings on to 7 inch spools.

I ended up with all the Bournemouth recordings and these included Silvestri's Elgar first symphony and Allasio Overture "In the South" and a lot of Vaughan Williams, William Walton and Malcolm Arnold.

I am preparing a list of those recordings and of many others on open-reel spools, cassettes, and CDs.
                            If any of these excite your attention, PM me and let's enter into a discussion.

I also have a 4 track stereo recorder which, like those open reels, I have no need to use.

Suggestions? Send me a private message.

HS

Comment

• Andrew Slater
                              • Mar 2007

I think I have a recording of Douglas Vaughan somewhere. When I find it, I'll upload it.

In the meantime I've uploaded a recording of his colleague in Scotland, back-announcing a performance of Brahms' second piano concerto, in 1980. A glaring difference from nowadays is the time allowed from the end of the piece to the beginning of the announcement - almost a minute: 'slow radio' was invented before the Controller discovered it! Perhaps he could re-apply it to the concerts?

Originally posted by Hornspieler View Post
                              When I was working for the BBC in Bristol, I was frequently asked to produce music broacasts, in addition to my duties as Manager of the BBC Training Orchestra (laughingly renamed as The Academy of the BBC)

The Announcer in Bristol, who covered all broadcasts was Douglas Vaughan. He always prepared his announcements most carefully and made a point of underlining those words which were essential to the radio listeners.

For instance:

"This evening's broadcast is given by the Bournemouth Symphony orchestra, under their conductor Paavo Berglund The soloist in the Brahms piano concerto was Peter Katin"

HMPR (Head of Music Programmes Radio) was the former Cellist Eleanor Warren.She described Douglas Vaughan as " ...the best announcer on radio"..

Quite an accolade and IMV richly deserved. A colleague who was a pleasure to work with.
                              He had one bĂȘte noire - he always stumbled over the word "meteorological " and insisted upon saying ".. from the met office..."

HS

Comment

• Angle
                                • Dec 2010

How many of you, I wonder, recorded Radio 3 (and earlier) radio plays. It is an area of particular interest to me - I have been collecting them for years. The Third and Radio 3 were the homes of experimental plays specifically written for the medium of radio. It would be wonderful to hear that some have survived the years in remote collections.

Comment

Working...
                                X