• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mandryka
    • Sep 2024

Clarence Clemons: Dead

Not much of a Springsteen fan, but this is sad news:

Clarence Clemons - the saxophonist in Bruce Springsteen's E Street Band - dies aged 69 in a Florida hospital a week after suffering a stroke.

• french frank
    Administrator/Moderator
    • Feb 2007

Just in case you don't get many on-topic replies, I find this news, if anything, even more sad
    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• kernelbogey
      • Nov 2010

I'd never heard of him before this morning's news item. It struck me as being a part of recognising a wider audience for Radio 3: I wouldn't have considered Springsteen fans to be constituents.

Comment

• Mr Pee
        • Nov 2010

I'd never heard of him either, so I really can't confess to being terribly upset. As for Amy Winehouse, the people I feel sorry for are those who forked out a large proportion of their monthly income for a ticket, only to be confronted by some pissed-up old slapper who was apparently in no fit state to speak, never mind perform.
        Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.

Mark Twain.

Comment

• french frank
          Administrator/Moderator
          • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Mr Pee View Post
          I'd never heard of him either, so I really can't confess to being terribly upset. As for Amy Winehouse, the people I feel sorry for are those who forked out a large proportion of their monthly income for a ticket, only to be confronted by some pissed-up old slapper who was apparently in no fit state to speak, never mind perform.
          I have a friend who is a (dry) alcoholic and who has educated me about alcoholism.

I'm still haunted by the occasion when her life had been stressful and, after about 30 years without drinking, and being an AA volunteer, she slipped back. She came to lunch and insisted on drinking (with me) and accusing me of being 'nannyish' because I was remembering all she'd told me, until I gave in.

Alcoholism is an awful, awful condition. Not least because people condemn the sufferer.
          It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
            • Dec 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post
            I have a friend who is a (dry) alcoholic and who has educated me about alcoholism.

I'm still haunted by the occasion when her life had been stressful and, after about 30 years without drinking, and being an AA volunteer, she slipped back. She came to lunch and insisted on drinking (with me) and accusing me of being 'nannyish' because I was remembering all she'd told me, until I gave in.

Alcoholism is an awful, awful condition. Not least because people condemn the sufferer.
            Nuff said...

Comment

• Mandryka

As some recent threads have proved, contributors to this forum have fairly wide musical tastes, which often encompass rock and other genres, as well as classical/opera.

I've never followed Amy Winehouse (though it's interesting to note that even people who'd never heard of Clemons - who was known only for being a musician - have at least heard of Winehouse), but recent reports had suggested that most of her problems were behind her.

Alcoholism/drug addiction are terrible things indeed.

Comment

• MrGongGong
                • Nov 2010

It's interesting how the phrase "i've never heard of him/her" gets used
                I have heard of Clarence Clemons and his playing even though i'm also not really a fan of Springsteen.

I remember having an argument about the "never heard of him" phrase in relation to Robert Fripp, many of you will say "never heard of him" BUT you will instantly recognise the sound he makes.......similarly with Clemons , you might not recognise the name but the sound will be familiar.
                Talking about music , the sound it makes is always harder than talking about music, it's history and the people who make it

but a sad day all the same as he was not an old man and a great set of chops

Comment

• Boilk
                  • Dec 2010

Not a Clemons fan, but I was rather irked by the fact that every news story says he played sax for this person and that, but no mention of his many solo albums. He was an artist in his own right. The same happened with the late Mick Karn, who started out as bassist for Japan.

I hope that with Robert Fripp, when the time comes, mention of his band King Crimson will hopefully feature more prominently than his guitar playing on Bowie's Heroes and early Talking Heads / Eno projects.

Comment

• vinteuil
                    • Nov 2010

Each year some 500,000 people die in the UK; some 55 million die worldwide. This death does not strike me as being any more or less to be lamented than any other. I am not sure why it features here. Except -

"If we understand aright the dignitie of this Bell that tolls for our evening prayer, wee would bee glad to make it ours, by rising early, in that application, that it might bee ours, as wel as his, whose indeed it is. The Bell doth toll for him that thinkes it doth; and though it intermit againe, yet from that minute, that that occasion wrought upon him, hee is united to God. Who casts not up his Eie to the Sunne when it rises ? but who takes off his Eie from a Comet when that breakes out? Who bends not his eare to any bell, which upon any occasion rings ? but who can remove it from that bell, which is passing a peece of himselfe out of this world? No man is an Iland, intire of it selfe; every man is a peece of the Continent, a part of the maine: if a Clod bee washed away by the Sea, Europe is the lesse, as well as if a Promontorie were, as well as if a Mannor of thy friends or of thine owne were; any mans death diminishes me, because I am involved in Mankinde; And therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls; It tolls for thee."
                    Last edited by vinteuil; 19-06-11, 17:16. Reason: tidying up

Comment

• kernelbogey
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post
                      It's interesting how the phrase "i've never heard of him/her" gets used
                      If a well-known classical musician dies, we expect to hear the news on Radio 3's news, and it's less likely on Radio 4. Conversely, the death of a a significant artist in the pop, rock or blues world would feature more prominently in the news on Radios 1 & 2. That is, I suggest, because the audience would know her/him, and want to know about that exit.

As to Dr Donne's words, it is the obituaries of people I know (of), or those of people my own age, or younger, that make me hark to that tolling bell.

Comment

• Donnie Essen

Sad news. He brought more to people's lives than some clod washed out to sea, hence we remark it. Was pleasantly surprised to see a front page of him on the Metro today. Musta been a slow news day. I don't say that to diminish Clemens, but wondered what percentage of the folks picking up the Metro of a morning knew of him anyways.

Everyone play some Born to Run, and pump your fists in the air at the appropriate moments.

Comment

• hackneyvi

Originally posted by Mandryka View Post
                          Alcoholism/drug addiction are terrible things indeed.
                          They are terrible things but I find I'm rather little more hard-faced about this than the rest of you. The piss/pot/smack head decides to drink and dope himself and in the end, no-one but him or her decides to stay drunk and doped.

These addictions are horrible but in part because the person's repetitiousness finally becomes so tiresome that, like poor Wino above, a stage can be reached where all that's wanted of them is that they go away. There are people for whom one can spare thought and pay attention more fruitfully.

Until they decide to dry out (or die), the Winos of this world are dead men anyway.

Comment

• Lateralthinking1

A bit late in the day but I was sorry to hear this news. Clemons was always one of my very favourite musicians. Particularly on the second Springsteen album, which is just about my first choice, he transformed appealing and filmic, if very romanticised, lyrics of the street into something truly magical - the sound of dreams, perhaps, in the air of a fairground at night. That was how it seemed to me, anyway, one listener. I can't think of another musician who could convey that feeling or atmosphere.

Comment

Working...
                            X