X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LMcD
    • Sep 2017

Originally posted by Conchis View Post
    Lawley seemed to have zero interest in, or rapport with her castaways, whoever they were.

The Diana Mosley interview is useful for illustrating the mindset of a certain type of upper-middle class inter-war personage and I have rather more respect for D.M. for speaking honestly of her feelings for A.H. rather than refusing to discuss him at all. It's a fact that most of the people who knew A.H. personally (including his pre-putsch Jewish Munich landlady) seem to have rather liked him.

Is Kirsty Young's departure permanent, or only temporary?
    Temporary, I'm pleased to say - she's just having a rest break.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
      Gone fishin'
      • Sep 2011

Originally posted by LMcD View Post
      Temporary, I'm pleased to say - she's just having a rest break.
      A bit more unpleasant than that:

... I hope that she is soon restored, both to good health and to DID.
      [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• antongould
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post

Couldn’t agree more ferney

Comment

• Stanfordian
          • Dec 2010

Lawley seemed to have zero interest in, or rapport with her castaways, whoever they were.

The Diana Mosley interview is useful for illustrating the mindset of a certain type of upper-middle class inter-war personage and I have rather more respect for D.M. for speaking honestly of her feelings for A.H. rather than refusing to discuss him at all. It's a fact that most of the people who knew A.H. personally (including his pre-putsch Jewish Munich landlady) seem to have rather liked him.

Is Kirsty Young's departure permanent, or only temporary?
          I truly hope it's only a temporary thing. Get well soon Kirsty. The programme is in fear of falling flat on its face.

Comment

• LMcD
            • Sep 2017

I didn't realize it was that serious. Here's wishing her well.

Comment

• french frank
              Administrator/Moderator
              • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Stanfordian View Post
              The programme is in fear of falling flat on its face.
              Laverne seems to be part of the BBC's 'attract a younger audience' project. She's not much younger than Kirsty Young (I see), but has a cool image of ex-pop singer, 6 Music presenter, and so on. Not saying that's wrong, but it does make quite a change for older listeners (cf Radio 3).

All that said, I was never a regular listener of DID; and clearly, different listeners look for different things from the programme.
              It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Conchis
                Banned
                • Jun 2014

Some people dislike Michael Berkeley's presentation of PP, and I can see what they mean. His problem is, not that he's not interested (he always is) but that he's too 'nice'. I don't think it would be appropriate to have confrontational presenters on these programmes, but the occasional bit of astringency wouldn't go amiss.

Comment

• french frank
                  Administrator/Moderator
                  • Feb 2007

Some people dislike Michael Berkeley's presentation of PP, and I can see what they mean. His problem is, not that he's not interested (he always is) but that he's too 'nice'. I don't think it would be appropriate to have confrontational presenters on these programmes, but the occasional bit of astringency wouldn't go amiss.
                  Would have been interested to hear a probing question to Steven Pinker who, on the occasion he was on PPs (he's been on DiD too) did not resort to a single classical choice. Like, psychologically, did he somehow discard classical music as something he 'didn't do'? Had he never consciously listened to any and therefore had no suggestions? Had he ever been curious - just a bit - about opera, say, or orchestral music? To be honest, I can't remember what MB did ask, but since he was on Radio 3, not Radio 4 …

And, haha, faulty memory, his first choice was Brandenburg 2. Thereafter:

LENNON & MCCARTNEY: She said she said
                  MAURICE JARRE: Herman (from the soundtrack of Enemies: a Love Story)
                  ANDY STATMAN: Flatbush Waltz (conclusion)
                  SHEARING & FORSTER: Lullaby of Birdland
                  A & J NEVILLE: Yellow Moon
                  OLIVER NELSON: Stolen Moments
                  ELVIS COSTELLO: God's Comic

I'm sure he had reasons for all his choices; I suppose the fact that classical music wasn't important to him merely prompts the question: "And why should it be?" No reason, I reply. I just wondered …
                  It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Conchis
                    Banned
                    • Jun 2014

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                    Would have been interested to hear a probing question to Steven Pinker who, on the occasion he was on PPs (he's been on DiD too) did not resort to a single classical choice. Like, psychologically, did he somehow discard classical music as something he 'didn't do'? Had he never consciously listened to any and therefore had no suggestions? Had he ever been curious - just a bit - about opera, say, or orchestral music? To be honest, I can't remember what MB did ask, but since he was on Radio 3, not Radio 4 …

And, haha, faulty memory, his first choice was Brandenburg 2. Thereafter:

LENNON & MCCARTNEY: She said she said
                    MAURICE JARRE: Herman (from the soundtrack of Enemies: a Love Story)
                    ANDY STATMAN: Flatbush Waltz (conclusion)
                    SHEARING & FORSTER: Lullaby of Birdland
                    A & J NEVILLE: Yellow Moon
                    OLIVER NELSON: Stolen Moments
                    ELVIS COSTELLO: God's Comic

I'm sure he had reasons for all his choices; I suppose the fact that classical music wasn't important to him merely prompts the question: "And why should it be?" No reason, I reply. I just wondered …

Just you wait till Liam Gallagher appears on PP (as he is sure to do at some point in the near future)....

Comment

• MrGongGong
                      • Nov 2010

Just you wait till Liam Gallagher appears on PP (as he is sure to do at some point in the near future)....
                      He is a big fan of Buxtehude

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                        probing question
                        The nadir of the Roy Plomley tenure was probably the appearance of Steve "Interesting" Davis, the snooker player - RP probably didn't know who he was beforehand. Apparently Plomley's habit was to take his guest out for a good lunch before the recording, somethin Parkinson (or was it Lawley) put a stop to.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                          • Dec 2010

I'm really upset to hear this. Kirsty's low-key manner provided a welcome break from the usual cross-examinatory approach to interviewing when she had the tenure as Channel 4's 7pm news presenter, and its something she's carried over into all her subsequent roles.

Comment

• muzzer
                            • Nov 2013

FWIW I think LL, though younger, is very much in the style long term of R4. She’s a great broadcaster. And I wish KY a speedy recovery too.

Comment

• Conchis
                              Banned
                              • Jun 2014

Originally posted by Richard Tarleton View Post
                              The nadir of the Roy Plomley tenure was probably the appearance of Steve "Interesting" Davis, the snooker player - RP probably didn't know who he was beforehand. Apparently Plomley's habit was to take his guest out for a good lunch before the recording, somethin Parkinson (or was it Lawley) put a stop to.
                              I believe at least some of Plomley's programmes (the John Fowles one, for instance) were recorded at the Garrick Club.

Steve Davis's choices were actually pretty good.

Comment

• french frank
                                Administrator/Moderator
                                • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Richard Tarleton View Post
                                The nadir of the Roy Plomley tenure was probably the appearance of Steve "Interesting" Davis
                                Steve Davis's choices were actually pretty good.
                                Ravel's Bolero, for one.

Comment

Working...
                                X