• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BBMmk2
    Late Member
    • Nov 2010

Desert Island Discs

Whilst this programme is on Radio 4, I have been thinking of starting a thread that could be in general use throughout the year, rather than one just for Advent and Christmas. Be good if forum members could mention the details of the recording, as well.

In no particular order

Mahler Symphony No.6(Berliner Philjharmoniker/Claudio Abbado
    Bax Spring Fire; Northern Ballad No.2; Northern Ballad No.3, Prelude for an Solemn Occasion; Mediterranean; Symphonic Scherzo(RPO and LPO, Vernon Handley)
    Vaughan Williams Dona Nobis Pacem, Sancta Civitas(Christina Pier, Andrew Staples, Matthew Brook, Winchester Cathedral Choristers, Winchester College Quiristers, Bournemouth SO, David Hill.
    Beethoven: Symphony No.9(Karita Matila, Violetta Urmana,Thomas Moser, Thomas Quasthoff, etc,BPO, Abbado)
    Rachmaninov PC No.3(Ashkenazy, LSO, Previn)
    John Pickard Gaia Symphony(Eikhanger Bjorsvik Musikklag, Andreas Hanson)
    Shostakovich: Symphony No.8(LSO/Previn)
    John Adams Harmonielehre; The Chairman Dances; Two Fanfares: Tromba Lontana; ii) Short Ruide in a Fast machine(CBSO/Rattle)

One to savour: Mahler Symphony No.6

Over to you!
    Don’t cry for me
    I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750
  • pastoralguy
    • Nov 2010

I've always thought of DID as requesting music that made an impression on one at certain points in a life rather than simply being 'My favourite eight records'. In that spirit, here are mine.

1) 'Summer Holiday' by Cliff Richard and the Shadows. (Although I've no idea who wrote it!) It always reminds me of being a child growing up in Viewforth Square in Edinburgh. My mother had won a £100 on the Premium Bonds and she used half of it to buy a record player and some recordings. (A lot of money in the 60's!) So, Cliff Richard played a big part in my childhood. As did...

2) An album called 'My Love' by Petula Clark which my father had. I still have it and can recite the blurb on the back sleeve. "Petula being like the best present under a child's Christmas Tree" and "listening to the playback through Beetle sized speakers". So, the title song, 'My Love'

3) Beethoven's Pastoral Symphony played by the Pittsburgh Symphony Orchestra under William Steinberg. My father often played this record which was on the MfP label and I was much taken by the record's cover which featured a bust of the composer photographed in very heavy maroon shades.

4) A cassette tape of Greig's Piano Concerto c/w the Peer Gynt Suite with the LPO conducted by Sir John Pritchard with Peter Katin as soloist. (Again on the CfP label). My father was an officer in the Merchant Navy and my mother, sister and myself joined him on a voyage which took us through the Panama Canal on Christmas Day 1976. We then sailed to Japan and Australia. In Japan, it was common for the Indian crew members to buy the latest gadgets so they could re-sell them in India for a huge mark up owing to there being no distribution network for consumer goods. My father borrowed a lovely tape/radio machine from the Chief cook and we listened to that tape on it. I was amazed at how much better it sounded on a superior machine, instilling a love of high quality sound reproduction. My broadcast choice would be the last movement of the piano concerto

5) ABBA! The supergroup were on tour in Australia at this time and we got the opportunity to see them in Sydney. Although it was sold out my father had a friend whose wife worked for the concert promoter so she got us tickets AND we met ABBA after the show. They autographed my tape of their first album! I'd loved ABBA since they won the Eurovision Song Contest so this was HUGE! So, my choice would be 'Gimme, Gimme, Gimme, (a man after midnight')

6) A record I've written about many times here. Igor Oistrakh playing the Tchaikovsky violin concerto with his father conducting. I was so taking with this record I insisted on learning the violin. As an ex-pro, this was extremely significant!

7) Tchaikovsky's 4th symphony. The Scottish National Orchestra conducted by Sir Alexander Gibson. I heard them play it at the 1977 SNO Proms and was completely blown away, never having heard a live symphony orchestra before. I was thrilled to find they had recorded it the year before when I bought an Lp the following weekend at Rae Mackintosh. (Again, CfP!)

8) Karajan's 1977/78 cycle of the Beethoven Symphonies on DG. I had a paper round by this time and my Grandad would pay me to wash and clean out his taxi so this money was invested in these discs as they came out. (£4.15 which was a lot for a schoolboy in 1977/78!) I loved the pictures on the covers and was slightly miffed that the 'Karajan 1970's set didn't reproduce them all!) I'd choose the 1st movement of the 4th symphony.

My favourite, the Oistrakh's Tchaikovsky album.

Obviously, I've replaced all these recordings on cd except the Tchaikovsky violin concerto which has stubbornly never appeared on cd. Neither has the Grieg tape which is a shame.

So, that's my eight records.

My book would be 'The Magus' by John Fowles.

My luxury item would be a Russian sable blanket.
    Last edited by pastoralguy; 09-01-18, 19:52. Reason: Clarity of choices and lapses in punctuation!

Comment

• Stanfordian
      • Dec 2010

Surely the selections are supposed be individual works not box sets and multi work CDs.
      Last edited by Stanfordian; 09-01-18, 14:05.

Comment

• pastoralguy
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Stanfordian View Post
        Surely the selections are supposed be individual works not box sets and multi work CDs.
        Well, to be fair, there's really only one actual 'set' and, god help us, if I ever WERE to be invited on the programme, I'd surely choose one track.

Comment

• Alison
          • Nov 2010

A lovely and heartwarming read, Pasters.

Comment

• Bryn
            Banned
            • Mar 2007

O.k., individual works:

Feldman: SQ2 (FLUX Quartet)
            Feldman: For Philip Guston (Rees, Simon Allen, John Tilbury)
            Reich: Drumming (Steve Reich and Musicians)
            La Monte Young: The Well Tuned Piano (La Monte Young)
            Bach: Goldberg Variations (Richard Egarr)
            Beethoven: Op. 131 (Quatuor Mosaïques)
            Cardew: The Great Learning, Paragraph 5 (1984 performance at Union Chapel, Islington) [recorded by yours truly]
            Cardew: The Great Learning, Paragraph 5 (2015 performance at Union Chapel, Islington) [recorded by Rich Duckworth and yours truly, and mixed by Rich Duckworth]

Comment

• vinteuil
              • Nov 2010

Scarlatti : K55 Christian Zacharias - 20 Jun 1973
              Scarlatti : K55 Christian Zacharias - 17 Feb 1973
              Scarlatti : K55 Christian Zacharias - 18 Dec 1978
              Scarlatti : K55 Christian Zacharias - 24 Nov 1984
              Scarlatti : K55 Christian Zacharias - . 3 Dec 1984
              Scarlatti : K55 Christian Zacharias - . 9 Jul 1985
              Scarlatti : K55 Christian Zacharias - 27 Oct 1985
              Scarlatti : K55 Christian Zacharias - 27 Sep 1994

( other performances are available : http://amzn.eu/1IpzeSk )

My book : Sterne - Tristram Shandy

My luxury : some painless suicide pills.

Last edited by vinteuil; 09-01-18, 14:56.

Comment

• pastoralguy
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Alison View Post
                Thank you, Alison.

Comment

• Stanfordian
                  • Dec 2010

Originally posted by pastoralguy View Post
                  Well, to be fair, there's really only one actual 'set' and, god help us, if I ever WERE to be invited on the programme, I'd surely choose one track.
                  Hiya PG,

Then why not actually choose the tracks then or at least the works.

Comment

• pastoralguy
                    • Nov 2010

Hiya PG,

Then why not actually choose the tracks then or at least the works.
                    I went back and followed your suggestion.

Comment

• Stanfordian
                      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by pastoralguy View Post
                      I went back and followed your suggestion.
                      For that PG I am extremely grateful.

Comment

• pastoralguy
                        • Nov 2010

For that PG I am extremely grateful.

Comment

• johncorrigan
                          • Nov 2010

Agreed, Alison. I passed Viewforth in Edinburgh last week...my daughter lives near there...I really like that part of Edinburgh.

Comment

• gradus
                            • Nov 2010

My sentiments exactly.

Comment

• pastoralguy
                              • Nov 2010

Many thanks. So much music is tied up with time, places and life events. I've always felt that was the real strength of DID and why I can forgive the somewhat notorious episode where Elizabeth Schwarzkopf chose all her own recordings. Since she was actively involved it's hardly surprising they stirred up memories and feelings.

Comment

Working...
                              X