Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • pastoralguy
    • Nov 2010

I wonder how many of us would love to be on DID!

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
      Gone fishin'
      • Sep 2011

Originally posted by pastoralguy View Post
      I wonder how many of us would love to be on DID!
      Not me (?DIDN'T?) Just eight discs?! I'd have difficulty chosing just eight recordings of the Eroica!
      [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• cloughie
        • Dec 2011

Originally posted by french frank View Post
        Ravel's Bolero, for one.
        Well that makes it potentially 7 good ones!

Comment

• Wychwood
          • Aug 2017

Should castaways be forced to have The Bible and the complete works of Shakespeare?

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

Originally posted by Wychwood View Post
            Should castaways be forced to have The Bible and the complete works of Shakespeare?
            Indeed - I raised this question on another thread when Lauren Laverne blithlely told him, a Hindu by birth, that he would be getting thre Bible - he politely indicated he wouldn't want it.

Comment

• Beef Oven!
              Ex-member
              • Sep 2013

Originally posted by Richard Tarleton View Post
              Indeed - I raised this question on another thread when Lauren Laverne blithlely told him, a Hindu by birth, that he would be getting thre Bible - he politely indicated he wouldn't want it.
              If he wanted to be polite, he needn't have indicated that he didn't want it.

One would hope that if someone who was born a Christian, found themselves on a time-honoured Indian radio programme where the tradition was to give a copy of the Vedas at the end, they would not be so churlish as to point out they had no need of it. It's about manners, not religion.

Comment

• french frank
                Administrator/Moderator
                • Feb 2007

He didn't actually say he "didn't want it". He said, "I would prefer the Mahabharata … which is …" It didn't sound churlish.
                It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Beef Oven!
                  Ex-member
                  • Sep 2013

He didn't actually say he "didn't want it". He said, "I would prefer the Mahabharata … which is …" It didn't sound churlish.

I'd assumed RT to be accurate.

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

No indeed, he deflected it very charmingly, not churlish at all (you needed to have heard it, Beef, I was paraphrasing, my bad) - but I did find myself querying the assumption on the part of the programme that the Bible would be appropriate. Didn't it occur to the producers? I do remember another, Anglo Saxon, guest (it might even have been John Fowles, I didn't listen that often), when Roy Plomley said "...leaving aside the Bible and Shakespeare..." saying "I left those aside a long time ago".....

Comment

• Beef Oven!
                      Ex-member
                      • Sep 2013

No indeed, he deflected it very charmingly, not churlish at all (you needed to have heard it, Beef, I was paraphrasing, my bad) - but I did find myself querying the assumption on the part of the programme that the Bible would be appropriate. Didn't it occur to the producers? I do remember another, Anglo Saxon, guest (it might even have been John Fowles, I didn't listen that often), when Roy Plomley said "...leaving aside the Bible and Shakespeare..." saying "I left those aside a long time ago".....
                      I don't think it a big deal. A guest goes on DID and at the end in (s)he gets a Bible and the complete works of Shakespeare in a rather antiquated and largely irrelevant way. So what? Shakespeare went over my head years ago, and I left the Bible behind even longer ago!

Comment

• french frank
                        Administrator/Moderator
                        • Feb 2007

No indeed, he deflected it very charmingly, not churlish at all (you needed to have heard it, Beef, I was paraphrasing, my bad)
                        That was how it struck me, hearing it for the first time an hour ago.
                        It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

Originally posted by Beef Oven! View Post
                          I don't think it a big deal. A guest goes on DID and at the end in (s)he gets a Bible and the complete works of Shakespeare in a rather antiquated and largely irrelevant way. So what? Shakespeare went over my head years ago, and I left the Bible behind even longer ago!
                          I wish I could remember if guests of the Jewish or Islamic persuasions are offered their respective holy text. That bit is a rather quaint hangover from a time when a lot of guests might have chosen the Bible or Shakespeare if it wasn't a given, which would have made for rather a dull programme. The format was "owned" by Plomley in his lifetime and copyright passed to his wife Diana Wong when he died, and making such radical changes as what book people were allowed may not have been possible .

Comment

• Conchis
                            Banned
                            • Jun 2014

I can remember one castaway (can't recall the name, but it was a woman) saying she 'wouldn't need' any book other than the Bible and the Complete Works.

I'm sure anyone not wishing to consult those two volumes could find another, practical use for them.

Over the years, several castaways have clearly been uninterested in music - C.P. Snow springs to mind, and he was honest enough to admit as much. The worst castaway ever was Will Carling, imo. His taste in music was utterly dreadful.

Comment

• verismissimo
                              • Nov 2010

... my bad...
                              My bad? Bit modern, Tarleton?

Comment

• cloughie
                                • Dec 2011

Then there was Harvey Smith who said he had never read a book in his life and didn’t intend to do so!

Comment

Working...
                                X