X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kernelbogey
    • Nov 2010

St Magnus Festival

I've long had an interest in going to this, never having been to the Orkneys, but I wasn't tempted by this year's programme. Has anyone here been, is going this year? I'd like to know more about what it's like to be there. Thanks & BW, kb
  • Flosshilde
    • Nov 2010

I went a few years ago. I missed the start on the Friday & Saturday, but really enjoyed what I went to, including a late-night (but still daylight) concert including Machaut's Messe de Nostre Dames & some modern Australian music in St Magnus' cathedral (the cathedral itself is stunningly beautiful). Like most festivals you sometimes have to rush from one concert to another. If you are also interested in pre-historic remains there's loads to see, including the very impressive Maeshowe. Bird life is also plenty & varied.

If you decide to go you can fly to Aberdeen & get an over-night ferry Stromness, or fly to Inverness & the hire a car & drive to Crabster for the big ferry from which takes you past the red cliffs of Hoy (including the Old Man) which are spectatcular, & gives yoiu the chance to see plenty of birdlife & if you are lucky, whales. The arrival into Stromness is rather good, too. There's also a ferry from Gill's Bay into St Margaret's Hope. We took this on the return journey, & it was small enough that we could almost trail our hands in the sea, & gave crossing the Pentland Firth an extra thrill! (I've jujst looked at the company's website & see they now have a new ferry, which might be more comfortable but lacks the sense of adventure of the old one!).

As you might be able to tell I found the whole experience memorable - I'd recommend going.
    Last edited by Flosshilde; 18-06-11, 11:28.

Comment

• Frances_iom
      • Mar 2007

Agree with Floss - about 6 years ago spent 2 weeks in Stromness in early September (thus out of festival period) but major archaeological sites kept us fully occupied for most of time + guided walks (we struck lucky with the week) to many sites - we used the boat into and out of Stromness from Crabster and took our own car - you will need one to get to most sites. Never made Hoy as not booking the car ferry in advance on the day we planned, the ferry was fully taken up by huge sheep wagons - early sept is period when sheep sold and moved off island.

Comment

• Curalach

If you go, remember that it is Orkney, or the Orkney Isles, never "the Orkneys" and for Crabster read Scrabster!
        We had planned to go to the Festival 2 years ago but my wife was ill so it's still on the list of things to do!

Comment

• Flosshilde
          • Nov 2010

Aologies for mis-typing Crabster for Scrabster

On names of the islands, the biggest one is referred to as 'the mainland'. The large area of land to the south is 'Scotland', not the mainland. I assume that this sense of seperateness from Scotland is because until 1468 the islands were essentially posessions of Norway & Denmark. They became Scottish when the King of Denmark, Norway & Sweden couldn't come up with a dowry for his daughter Margaret who was to marry James III, & the islands (along with the Shetland Islands) were handed over as a pledge - never redeemed. I sometimes wonder what would happen if Denmark handed over the money now.

I forgot to say earlier that there is an excellent contemporary art museum/gallery in Stromness - The Pier.

Comment

• hackneyvi

Originally posted by Flosshilde View Post
            If you decide to go you can fly to ... Inverness & the hire a car & drive to Crabster for the big ferry from which takes you past the red cliffs of Hoy (including the Old Man) which are spectatcular ... As you might be able to tell I found the whole experience memorable - I'd recommend going.
            I didn't get to the Orkneys, Flosshilde, but saw them from Dunnet Head after walking from Thurso and then across the lovely Dunnet Bay. You can drive to the headland (most northerly point of GB etc) and see the red cliffs about 10 miles away.

I can remember looking beyond Orkney and feeling I could actually see the Arctic Circle, see the air and sky get colder. Fabulously changeable sunny/wet/brilliant/glowering weather.

Comment

• Flosshilde
              • Nov 2010

I once had a holiday in a cottage on the north coast of Sutherland - there really is nothing between you & the North Pole! It was at midsummer, so we could see the sun dip to the horizon & then rise again - magical!

Comment

Working...
              X