• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Hornspieler
    Late Member
    • Sep 2012

Originally posted by Richard Tarleton View Post
    Tubby Clayton I think - by coincidence something about him on the letters page in today's Times. The Rev Tubby Clayton represented men accused of cowardice and achieved over 200 acquittals. Apparently "other ranks" had to be represented by officers at courts martial, but officers were not allowed to represent those accused of cowardice. Normally a court martial lasted 5 minutes and they were shot the next morning. Exception was made for the parson.
    Thank you for that, Richard.

I have already corrected Fred's error in the text.

Comment

• Hornspieler
      Late Member
      • Sep 2012

Episode XVII,
      An amazing incident happened in connection with this. We had some reinforcements join us who had come straight up to the Battery after arriving from England. After they had joined us our Observation officer who was observing the results of our gun-fire from the forward infantry positions could not understand how it was he could not observe any bursts on the target and reported back to the guns. A check by the Sergeant in charge of the gun firing showed that one of these reinforcements was loading the shell into the breech without removing the iron cap. He said he did not know it had to be removed but the general opinion was that he was so scared by what he had heard about the new fuse that he thought it was safer to leave it on until it went on its way.

It was during this breakthrough that I saw an example of Butcher (General) Haig's pig-headed idea that the Cavalry were going to win the war. During the trench War-fare they had been put into trenches as Infantrymen but as soon as this Advance started he had them re-horsed and ready to do his "Gallant Cavalry Charge Stunt" .One day I walked over to look down into a grassy valley and there scattered along the valley were dozens of horses and Cavalrymen who had been ordered to charge (I suppose) and had been shot down like ninepins by the German Machine Gunners. I don't think even Haig thought of employing Cavalry in a charge again during the war..

Well, we kept advancing daily until we arrived at "Le Catieau" a village where the original British Expeditionary Force had suffered their first defeat in the retreat from Mons. It was here I was wounded for the fourth and last time. I received the effects of a bursting shell between my legs and received about seven or eight wounds some more severe than others. It was a bit of a blow for me as at the same time I had a message from the Adjutant to take over Regimental Sergeant Major of the Brigade but of course had to reply that I was waiting for an ambulance to take me off to hospital. It would have meant promotion for me but such is luck. When I got to Hospital at Base I also developed "Flu" which at that time was so serious all over Europe and England that thousands died from it. As I also had about ten or eleven boils all round my nec, I was in a pretty sorry state.

At the Base Hospital they had at last decided that I was a passenger for Blighty (Army slang for England, Home and Beauty). The night before I was due to go on the boat a nurse took my temperature and it showed 102.6 Degrees and in case you don't know normal temperature is 97.8 Degrees. When the nurse saw this she said "If you've got that temperature in the morning my lad you will not be for Blighty."
      Surprisingly enough next morning my temperature reading was 97.8 but how it happened I don't know to this day and so I embarked on the Hospital Ship for Blighty. I don't know now or then what Port in England we landed at but I do remember we finished up by Train at Sheffield in Yorkshire. When you were put aboard a Hospital ship as a stretcher case they tied a label on to your tunic which said what was the matter with you and gave particulars of your name and unit etc. This was so that in case you were not able to speak the particulars were there.
      Well as I have said we arrived at the Sheffield Hospital about 2.30 in the morning and as the orderlies carried me into the reception room one of them looked at the label and said "Medical, D Block" meaning I was a medical case and not a wounded one. When I got to D Block the Medical Orderly looked at the label hanging on my tunic and said "Surgical, C Block. " When we arrived at "C" Block the same thing was repeated and this went on for about four or five times. What was happening was two labels had been tied to my tunic, one Medical and the other Surgical and being carried from one block to another the wind was blowing them about and as a consequence one was getting on top of the other. As I say, having put up with this abut four or five times and having been travelling about twelve or more hours, I at last lost my temper and said "Where the hell do I belong? Can't you make your minds up at 2.30 am?"
      Having quietened me down, I eventually landed up in the Surgical Block. That was roughly 3 weeks before the War ended.

When you could walk you were allowed to go out for walks in Sheffield and the surrounding Areas but it had to be in Hospital Blue. As the War was still on, you got fairly good treatment from the Citizens of Sheffield; as the Soldier does usually when there is a war on, but when the war is over it's a different picture. I remember a few of us were out walking in Sheffield when the Armistice was declared and crowds of people gathered round singing and cheering and patting us on the back. (Episode XVII, sent 25/9/64.)

Well, that is the last of grandpa's dispatches about his experiences in the Great War of 1914-18

There were further dispatches about his experiences when his battery were sent to deal with the Arab Rising; in Mesopotamia about three months later.

But that is another war. Is anyone interested?

Comment

• Hornspieler
        Late Member
        • Sep 2012

EPILOGUE

Throughout the text of this document, Fred makes no mention of the fact that he was twice Mentioned in Despatches and was also awarded the Croix de Guerre for gallantry in the field of action by King Albert X of Belgium.

He served in the Artillery for twenty seven years, eventually holding the rank of Regimental Sergeant Major at the School of Artillery in Larkhill Camp.
        As a reward, when the government of the day decided foolishly to reduce our armed forces, in 1934 he was given a week’s pay (£10.00) and discharged with a full Army Pension.

When the Second World War broke out in 1939 (only five years later) the War Office wrote to him asking him to rejoin his regiment and offering him an immediate commission with the substantive rank of Major.

But Fred was over fifty years of age and could not be compelled into service; so he told them what they could do with their offer and settled for a "Dad's Army" a year later as a Captain in the Home Guard.

Just as well. I’m sure he would never have survived the chill waters of Dunkirk – but if anyone could have walked on the water …???

He died in his bed at the grand old age of 93.

HS
        Last edited by Hornspieler; 16-11-17, 15:25. Reason: Medals added

Comment

• Once Was 4
          • Jul 2011

Originally posted by Hornspieler View Post
          EPILOGUE

Throughout the text of this document, Fred makes no mention of the fact that he was twice Mentioned in Despatches and was also awarded the Croix de Guerre for gallantry in the field of action by King Albert X of Belgium.

He served in the Artillery for twenty seven years, eventually holding the rank of Regimental Sergeant Major at the School of Artillery in Larkhill Camp.
          As a reward, when the government of the day decided foolishly to reduce our armed forces, in 1934 he was given a week’s pay (£10.00) and discharged with a full Army Pension.

When the Second World War broke out in 1939 (only five years later) the War Office wrote to him asking him to rejoin his regiment and offering him an immediate commission with the substantive rank of Major.

But Fred was over fifty years of age and could not be compelled into services so he told them what they could do with their offer and settled for a year later as a Captain in the Home Guard.

Just as well. I’m sure he would never have survived the chill waters of Dunkirk – but if anyone could have walked on the water …???

He died in his bed at the grand old age of 93.

Hornspieler: This has been a very informative and often moving account - thank you for sharing it with us. This period of history has now slipped out of living memory but must not be forgotten. My maternal grandmother was a refugee from Belgium in 1914 and I was brought up on her vivid memories (including witnessing a couple of atrocities carried out by German soldiers so no, these were not just false stories). Strangely enough she did not hate the Germans: she understood that they were mainly boys brought up in a huge military machine and to them everybody was a soldier and, if on the other side, out to kill you so you must kill them first. But the debt of gratitude to our, mainly amateur, soldiers who defeated this military machine is immense.

Comment

• Hornspieler
            Late Member
            • Sep 2012

Originally posted by Once Was 4 View Post
            Hornspieler: This has been a very informative and often moving account - thank you for sharing it with us. This period of history has now slipped out of living memory but must not be forgotten. My maternal grandmother was a refugee from Belgium in 1914 and I was brought up on her vivid memories (including witnessing a couple of atrocities carried out by German soldiers so no, these were not just false stories). Strangely enough she did not hate the Germans: she understood that they were mainly boys brought up in a huge military machine and to them everybody was a soldier and, if on the other side, out to kill you so you must kill them first. But the debt of gratitude to our, mainly amateur, soldiers who defeated this military machine is immense.
            Thank you for that appraisal,

Last night, I watched a programme on TV about Walter Tull - the first black man ever to receive a commision in the British armed forces.

Beautifully presented and a reminder that prejudice and snobbery were abundant even in those dark days.**
            This was the first of a series about the Great War that the TV channel "Yesterday" will be showing berween now and Armistice Day (11th November)

Worth taking a look.

** In my little stocking filler "Bravo Maestro", my last words penned were " ... the symphony orchestra is a model of democracy: A Duke's daughter might very well find herself turning the pages for a dustman's son!"

Keep warm - and keep posting.

Hornspieler

Last edited by Guest; 15-11-17, 17:51. Reason: Clarity

Comment

• Hornspieler
              Late Member
              • Sep 2012

Eight medals. . Reading from Left to right:

!-3 "Pip, Squeak and Wilfred" The 1914-18 War Medals, awarded to all who took part in the Great War

4 The Iraq Medal: 3 months after the November Armistice, Fred's battalion were sent to deal with the Arab Uprising. Many of Fred's colleagues who had survived the 14-18 War, lost their lives here.

5 The 1939-1945 War: Anyone who was involved was awarded this medal. (even 17 year old Maurice Handford, still at our school, who joined the NFS Silver Band,) received one!

6 The Meritorious Service Medal: Possibly in appreciation of those two Mentions in Dispatches.

7 Long Service and Good Conduct Medal: Worn by many regular Army soldiers.

8 Le Croix-de Guerre de Belgique: The Belgian equivalent to our Victoria Cross.
              "For Gallantry in the Field of Action" (Passchendale 1918) We have the Citation, signed by King Albert X of Belgium

(My thanks to our genial Host, Richard Tarleton for putting in this Imgur Photographic link on my behalf.

HS .
              Last edited by Hornspieler; 17-11-17, 15:27.

Comment

• Hornspieler
                Late Member
                • Sep 2012

The Last Post ...

Well, mine, anyway.

I shall still remain as a member of this forum but will make no comments on either the posts or performances.

However, I am still happy to receive PMs from any member and to reply to them if neccesary.

Anyone who gives me their email address may rest assured that I will not disclose that information to anyone else.

Hornspieler
                Last edited by Hornspieler; 16-11-17, 11:00.

Comment

Working...
                X