• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Daring Tripod
    • Oct 2024

Whats been happening?

Can anyone enligthen me?

I have been 'away' in hospital for a quarter of a year (since the first March) and have now come 'back to the Radio 3 earth' and note that we are at last blessed with a lot of (previously condemmed) live performances, the Composer of the week repeats have been moved.

What else have I misssed? Shoud I be looking out for any other great musical event?

Any advice would be greatfully noted.

Many thanks.
  • salymap
    Late member
    • Nov 2010

Daring Tripod, I believe when you joined you said you lived in my part of the world so let me welcome you back and hope you are better.

I can't think off-hand of the changes, as you say, live concerts at 7.30 were promised some time ago. Not a lot of live orchestral concerts but some chamber music and others. We shall see how it goes. Euda has left us,she could be over the top sometimes but I miss her.
    We are all looking forward to the Proms and hope the few professionals on the MBs will get posting then and start a discussion from the humble listeners, like myself. Best wishes, salymap

Comment

• Daring Tripod

Salymap. Yes indeed I do live near you. After a major heart attack and quarter of a year in hospitals I am back trying to learn how to walk again and trying to catch up with musical life. Very many thanks for your summary. I looked for Euda in vain. Her posts were always interesting and I shall miss her. She certainly knew how to enliven proceedings. I remember her postings during the last proms! Did she 'get her man' in the end?

Coming back to read these boards, I find some of the 'umph' seems to have gone out of them. I cannot wait for the Proms to enliven them (I hope).

Certainly hope that your health has somewhat improved especially now the weather is better.

Many thanks again for your warm greetings.

I see 'Breakfast' is still trying to reinvent itself!

Comment

• antongould
        • Nov 2010

It is indeed if you can call it that and after this morning's edition awash with "ear worms" and short bits of fluff I regret trying to on occasions defend it! I have "buried" my thoughts here to, hopefully, hide from French Frank, Suffolkcoastal and a host of others!

Comment

• BBMmk2
          Late Member
          • Nov 2010

Welcome back Daringtripod! I hope you recover soon!
          Don’t cry for me
          I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Roehre

Originally posted by Brassbandmaestro View Post
            Welcome back Daringtripod! I hope you recover soon!
            From me too, cross fingers for your recovery

Comment

• Chris Newman
              Late Member
              • Nov 2010

Welcome back, Daring Tripod,

I wish you a speedy recovery.

best wishes
              Chris.

Comment

• JoeG

Welcome back from me too and hope the recovery goes very well - another change is the earlier 11pm start to Late Junction, Wo3 and Jazz on 3 and also a Sunday afternoon concert instead of the request programme

Comment

• french frank
                  Administrator/Moderator
                  • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Daring Tripod View Post
                  Should I be looking out for any other great musical event?
                  Well, there's always the Proms, starting next month

Most of the schedule changes have been the direct knock-on effect of the live concerts starting at 7.30pm, instead of the old start time of 7pm. The CotW repeat slips in before the concert and In Tune starts at 4.30 (except on Wednesday when there's Choral Evensong). And as JoeG says, the late night music shows begin 15 minutes earlier at 11pm, and are now therefore a full 2 hours.
                  It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Daring Tripod

Many thanks for all your information which is certainly useful for my planning the day/night's listening. Yes, music kept me going. Keeping my pocket radio under the sheets at night listening to occasional concerts on my cheap earphones meant twice as much to me there than at home! I distinctly remember that Paul Lewis first Schubert piano recital to get me out of feeling-sorry-for-myself mood into another sphere. Not being well up in Schubert sonatas, does anyone know what he played for that first concert? All programmes on the Internet talk about the future and 'Listen again' (BBC i player) expired long before I was 'let out'! Thank you again, all my friends. I have missed reading your learned opinions from which I have learnt so much in the past.

Comment

Working...
                    X