X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dave2002
    • Dec 2010

Heritage Days

Is anyone going to a Heritage Day event this year? https://www.heritageopendays.org.uk/about

There are some near us, but I didn't realise that we needed to book in advance. We had a booklet about events, but I should have taken the time to read it weeks, even months, ago.

There may still be some which don't require advance booking.
  • Serial_Apologist
    • Dec 2010

Thanks Dave. There's been a lot of guided history walks and talks 'round London this year - great occasions for meeting up with fellow neighbourhood appreciators as well as spotting places where famous or infamous people once lived.

Comment

• oddoneout
      • Nov 2015

I've taken advantage of these events for many years. I don't know whether we are particularly blessed/well organised in this part of the world but I have been surprised on many occasions to find that elsewhere in the country either there is not so much activity or just much less awareness. The arrival of the booklet always throws up decisions about what to see and how to fit it in.There are always many more drop-in opportunities than pre-booked so the itinerary can be flexible fortunately, depending on stamina and weather. In recent years my place of work(a 'visitor attraction' as it is termed) has participated on the Sunday and so that limits what I can do - it may only be one day but the sheer volume of visitors throughout that day is hard work, so doing a marathon visiting session on Saturday is not an option!
      It is a marvellous way to nose around places which are otherwise 'out of bounds' - historic buildings that have been converted, private clubs, redundant churches etc - but also a chance to 'try before you buy' on places that are pay to visit sites. The extra activities that are put on in some places - music, drama, children's art sessions, guided tours etc are often of high quality and add considerably to the experience.

Comment

• gradus
        • Nov 2010

Nice day for it today with only a little rain. I was on duty at the Ipswich Institute this morning which opens its doors even wider than usual over this weekend. I find the visitors as interesting as the building, in some cases more so.

Comment

Working...
        X