X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ChrisBennell
    • Sep 2014

Radio 3 Twitter Feed

I have become increasingly irritated, recently, by the Radio 3 Twitter Feed. I get on average 20-30 tweets a day from them, mostly trivial rubbish, or pointers to programme material which I could quite easily get from on-line schedules (or the Radio Times!). I also do not want to know their opinions on performers, performance, or aspects of composers or their works. I do not wish to be reminded every day of the inane competitions they tout on Essential Classics. Guess I could stop following them but very occasionally there is something of interest.

Who on earth do they employ to generate this rubbish? There must be better ways to spend their resources and contribute to the High Quality Arts and Music channel they aspire to. (or do they?) Examples from this week:

BBC Radio 3‏Verified account @BBCRadio3 15h15 hours ago
    More
    "A message in a bottle cast into the cosmic ocean" Including your recommendations - songs to send into space:

BBC Radio 3‏Verified account @BBCRadio3 18h18 hours ago
    More
    Can you identify these musicians from their statues? http://bbc.in/2wV7i0e

BBC Radio 3‏Verified account @BBCRadio3 21h21 hours ago
    More
    Were the great composers just really, really good at maths? http://bbc.in/2wnHLu1

BBC Radio 3‏Verified account @BBCRadio3 22h22 hours ago
    More
    "As he was a Victorian, he then had it stuffed."
  • Old Grumpy
    • Jan 2011

Originally posted by ChrisBennell View Post
    I have become increasingly irritated, recently, by the Radio 3 Twitter Feed. I get on average 20-30 tweets a day from them, mostly trivial rubbish, or pointers to programme material which I could quite easily get from on-line schedules (or the Radio Times!). I also do not want to know their opinions on performers, performance, or aspects of composers or their works. I do not wish to be reminded every day of the inane competitions they tout on Essential Classics. Guess I could stop following them but very occasionally there is something of interest.

Who on earth do they employ to generate this rubbish? There must be better ways to spend their resources and contribute to the High Quality Arts and Music channel they aspire to. (or do they?) Examples from this week:

BBC Radio 3‏Verified account @BBCRadio3 15h15 hours ago
    More
    "A message in a bottle cast into the cosmic ocean" Including your recommendations - songs to send into space:

BBC Radio 3‏Verified account @BBCRadio3 18h18 hours ago
    More
    Can you identify these musicians from their statues? http://bbc.in/2wV7i0e

BBC Radio 3‏Verified account @BBCRadio3 21h21 hours ago
    More
    Were the great composers just really, really good at maths? http://bbc.in/2wnHLu1

BBC Radio 3‏Verified account @BBCRadio3 22h22 hours ago
    More
    "As he was a Victorian, he then had it stuffed."
    Simples - don't do Twitter!

OG

Comment

• Flay
      • Mar 2007

I have become increasingly irritated, recently, by the Radio 3 Twitter Feed.
      Their Facebook posts are equally irritating and inane

And what do they mean by "songs"? No doubt they mean pieces of music. So why can't they say that?
      Pacta sunt servanda !!!

Comment

• David-G
        • Mar 2012

This is why I do not follow Radio 3 on Twitter. I have come to the conclusion that the only way of coping with Twitter is to severely restrict myself to following people who don't tweet too much, and who have something interesting to say.

Comment

• ChrisBennell
          • Sep 2014

Originally posted by David-G View Post
          This is why I do not follow Radio 3 on Twitter. I have come to the conclusion that the only way of coping with Twitter is to severely restrict myself to following people who don't tweet too much, and who have something interesting to say.
          I am tempted to do just that - but occasionally there is something meaningful. I think the more serious concern is what the BBC is spending it's resources on. A serious radio arts channel surely deserves better than the incessant trivial rubbish they churn out. A lot of it ends up on Facebook as well!

Comment

• french frank
            Administrator/Moderator
            • Feb 2007

I am tempted to do just that - but occasionally there is something meaningful. I think the more serious concern is what the BBC is spending it's resources on. A serious radio arts channel surely deserves better than the incessant trivial rubbish they churn out. A lot of it ends up on Facebook as well!
            Not forgetting that Facebook and Twitter were given as reasons for discontinuing the old BBC messageboards. 'People' don't use forums like this any more: they prefer Facebook and Twitter. People? What people?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/mbradio3/F6...thread=7898400 - note the 7 days notice!
            It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• David-G
              • Mar 2012

Originally posted by David-G View Post
              I agree with you completely. Re Twitter, there is no doubt that the dross makes it harder to find the gems. If I were to follow hundreds of Twitter accounts, as some of my friends do, and especially if some of these accounts tweet as much dross as R3 does, I would never have the time to scan all this incoming information and I would inevitably miss items of genuine interest. So I prefer just to follow people who tweet things of interest to me, and don't tweet too much. Then at least I can be sure of not missing anything from these sources. There is nothing to stop me having an occasional look at other Twitter feeds such as R3 when I have the inclination and the time.
              Last edited by David-G; 01-09-17, 19:33. Reason: correct spelling

Comment

• Dave2002
                • Dec 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                People? What people?
                There's an obvious label for them.

Comment

Working...
                X