X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • pastoralguy
    • Nov 2010

Sir Bruce Forsyth, RIP.

Just announced that the veteran entertainer has died. Very sad news. A big part of my childhood.

RIP, Sir Bruce.
  • Serial_Apologist
    • Dec 2010

Tributes are paid to the TV legend, who hosted Strictly Come Dancing and The Generation Game.

His Wiki entry:

The first thought that occurs to me is that he never lost those distinctive slightly "camp"-sounding speech patterns which my father, coming from N London, always identified as in fact specific to that part of the metropolis.

Comment

• cloughie
      • Dec 2011

A very talented entertainer, he grafted to make it look easy. A part of many lives for many years. RIP Brucie.

Comment

• johncorrigan
        • Nov 2010

Sad to hear it, to hear it sad! He gave us loads of fun down the years.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
          Gone fishin'
          • Sep 2011

Originally posted by johncorrigan View Post
          Sad to hear it, to hear it sad! He gave us loads of fun down the years.
          Indeed - didn't he do well.
          [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Stanley Stewart
            Late Member
            • Nov 2010

Sad, indeed. I only saw him once as leading man in "Little Me", a Broadway musical, 1966, Cambridge Theatre, W1. As always, he was travelling light and only brought one performance with him, but a natural communicator with a substantial talent, evident on the touching 60 mins tribute to him just ended on BBC 1. RIP, Brucie,

Comment

• BBMmk2
              Late Member
              • Nov 2010

One of the last of the old entertainers who could do anything. RIP
              Don’t cry for me
              I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Lat-Literal
                • Aug 2015

Sad news.

Mr Saturday Night TV.

The Generation Game was the best - the conveyer belt of not especially great prizes was the perfect sardonic comment on a society becoming too money orientated and broadly the show permitted acceptance in people of their own inadequacies while offering personal encouragement. Contrast with today's "strong and wrong" for which read flimsy in character.

The two words, though, that would sum up Bruce best as a representative of that era of light entertainment rather than one of the current era - "not spiteful". And that was actually why once the new ways had taken hold it took so long for him to be honoured. Just not nasty enough for the modern movers and shakers. But at least he was eventually honoured rightly.

Sir Bruce Forsyth - RIP

Comment

• pastoralguy
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Lat-Literal View Post
                  Sad news.

Mr Saturday Night TV.

The Generation Game was the best - the conveyer belt of not especially great prizes was the perfect sardonic comment on a society becoming too money orientated and broadly the show permitted acceptance in people of their own inadequacies while offering personal encouragement. Contrast with today's "strong and wrong" for which read flimsy in character.

The two words, though, that would sum up Bruce best as a representative of that era of light entertainment rather than one of the current era - "not spiteful". And that was actually why once the new ways had taken hold it took so long for him to be honoured. Just not nasty enough for the modern movers and shakers. But at least he was eventually honoured rightly.

Sir Bruce Forsyth - RIP

Very well put, Sir.

Comment

• vinteuil
                    • Nov 2010

... I don't think I ever watched anything he was in.

Comment

• Lat-Literal
                      • Aug 2015

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post

... I don't think I ever watched anything he was in.

How awful for you, v.

Here's my early Christmas present.

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Comment

• vinteuil
                        • Nov 2010

... thank you, but no thank you.

And no, not awful for me at all, thank you again.

Comment

• Lat-Literal
                          • Aug 2015

Aw.

Next you will be telling us that you don't even like early 20th Century music hall.

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                          https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-40978576

His Wiki entry:

The first thought that occurs to me is that he never lost those distinctive slightly "camp"-sounding speech patterns which my father, coming from N London, always identified as in fact specific to that part of the metropolis.

Have been mulling over this one, S-A, for 24 hours. You are right. There is what became seen as a slightly camp intonation in historical light entertainment from all parts of London and elsewhere. You can hear it in Max Miller (Brighton), Askey (Liverpool) and even into the 1980s with Delboy and Rodney. It runs close to modern ideas about corn and it also to some extent in the case of a Bruce reflects sound recording techniques in television during the 60s/70s. I would say my father has it - part Askey when younger albeit with classic good looks although mainly his role model by his own admission in his fifties was George Roper.

Always nasal, I can recall the key moments that saved me - the early insistence on improvement (you had that) and in our case to better "oursells", renditions of Wandrin' Star before my voice broke, the falling into a natural bass in Yorkshire - they all talk like that - and especially the heavy influence of mainly genuine radio presentation across the decades from the 1960s to the 1980s. Certainly I couldn't speak to a 1990s mockney and everyone in entertainment since 2000 is so nothingy to be entirely beyond the pale. I'm not sure why I (only slightly) bothered. I like the olduns best and in truth I always did. They had more style.

Last edited by Lat-Literal; 19-08-17, 16:51.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                            • Dec 2010

When doing his singing bit, he had a better voice for that sub-Ole Blue Eyes stuff than Jamie Cullum, though - it has to be said!

Comment

• ahinton
                              • Nov 2010

It was also "nice to see" a brief tribute from a young up-and-coming freshman of what can still perhaps be called the variety industry; I refer to that man of the minute, Nicholas Parsons...

Comment

Working...
                              X