X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Lat-Literal
    • Aug 2015

Names

I did think that my ENT consultant, Fabio Fanfoni, had the best name I have heard this year but then a different sort of expert appeared on a television programme.

Dr Gretchen Goodbody-Gringley.

I accept that the next bit is a bit Viz but my favourite "member of the public" male name in all my years of what was essentially customer service was Jeremy Vancker and my favourite female name was Melanie Pears.

Have forum members any real names they like very much?
  • vinteuil
    • Nov 2010

... once you have encountered Train's "Remarkable Names of Real People" almost nothing surprizes.

Here are a few -

I have a soft spot for Gaston J Feeblebunny, Verbal Funderburk, Miss Horsey de Horsey, Strangeways Pigg Strangeways, and of course Sir Reginald Aylmer Ranfurly Plunkett-Ernle-Erle-Drax, and Leone Sextus Denys Oswolf Fraudatifilius Tollemache-Tollemache de Orellana Plantagenet Tollemache-Tollemache

Last edited by vinteuil; 27-06-17, 15:27.

Comment

• Lat-Literal
      • Aug 2015

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post

... once you have encountered Train's "Remarkable Names of Real People" almost nothing surprizes.

Here are a few -

(and, yes, why not also include place names - I didn't know that the Elephant and Castle may have been the Infanta de Castille - in all seriousness that is very interesting to me).

What I especially like about the first name I mentioned is the fan circulates the air to the nose and the "foni" bit - "headphones" etc - is very ear based. I just wish I could see the throat link but I can't. It has got to be in the "Fabio" somewhere - I feel sure of it and may ponder on it for a very long while. Unless word experts can spot anything very obvious?

The more paranoid part of me wonders sometimes if people ever do google searches - I would like to convey that these are all wonderful people and I am very grateful to some.

I just like words - they can capture my imagination.
      Last edited by Lat-Literal; 27-06-17, 15:33.

Comment

• Lat-Literal
        • Aug 2015

Here's one - the former footballer Vennegoor of Hesselink - what a fantastic name, especially in its context! Jan Vennegoor of Hesselink was thus named because, way back in the 17th century, two farming families in the Enschede area of Holland intermarried. Both the Vennegoor and Hesselink names carried equal social weight, and so - rather than choose between them - they chose to use both. 'Of' in Dutch actually translates to 'or', which would mean that the strictest translation of his name would read Vennegoor or Hesselink.

Comment

• Dave2002
          • Dec 2010

I did hear of someone called Pancake. Possibly by marriage. First name Cherry.

Comment

• Lat-Literal
            • Aug 2015

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
            I did hear of someone called Pancake. Possibly by marriage. First name Cherry.
            Aw, well, perhaps but very early in my career I was told about the sisters Coral and Treasure Ireland. I like what you say but I may have a preference for direct experience.

The best name in my junior school was undoubtedly Digby Christmas. I would have had checked trousers, loafers and a quiff permanently if I could have had that name.

Comment

• vinteuil
              • Nov 2010

... and not forgetting the Stowe chappie -

Richard Temple-Nugent-Brydges-Chandos-Grenville

Comment

• Lat-Literal
                • Aug 2015

... and not forgetting the begetter of Stowe -

Richard Temple-Nugent-Brydges-Chandos-Grenville

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richar...am_and_Chandos
                Wow, v, and I suppose that is a little along the lines of Sir Ranulph Twisleton-Wykeham-Fiennes, 3rd Baronet, OBE only considerably more pronounced.

I have mentioned this before. The late father of one of my best friends at senior school - and a friend of the Bedser twins - was Ralph Richard Ralph.

Comment

• Lat-Literal
                  • Aug 2015

....the feminist and sexologist, Shere Hite.

Always loved that one although, sadly, she was born Shirley Diana Gregory.

Not a con, though. She took her stepfather's surname.

Keir Starmer is an interesting one.

Labour history - a star elides with charmer.

Very obviously decent as far as politicians go but not exactly of the charisma implied.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                    Host
                    • Nov 2010

I very much appreciated the name of the former marketing director of the Coca-Cola Corporation: Chuck Fruit.

Always summoned up a mental image of petulant and messy board meetings.

"...the isle is full of noises,
                    Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                    Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                    Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Lat-Literal
                      • Aug 2015

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
                      I very much appreciated the name of the former marketing director of the Coca-Cola Corporation: Chuck Fruit.

Always summoned up a mental image of petulant and messy board meetings.

http://adage.com/article/people-play...ies-61/127333/
                      Extraordinary - I wasn't aware of him.

Comment

• vinteuil
                        • Nov 2010

... nominative determinism is always a joy.

I liked -

"Dr Donald Reeve Buttress LVO OBE is an English architect ... from 1988 to 1999 he was Surveyor of the Fabric at Westminster Abbey"

Last edited by vinteuil; 27-06-17, 16:26.

Comment

• Richard Barrett
                          • Jan 2016

There's a Swedish jazz trumpeter called Bent Persson. By all accounts though he is an honest sort of fellow.

Comment

• Lat-Literal
                            • Aug 2015

... nominative determinism is always a joy.

I liked -

"Dr Donald Reeve Buttress LVO OBE is an English architect ... from 1988 to 1999 he was Surveyor of the Fabric at Westminster Abbey"

Originally posted by Richard Barrett View Post
                            There's a Swedish jazz trumpeter called Bent Persson. By all accounts though he is an honest sort of fellow.

(Keep them coming - we have not only the characters but almost the entire plot of a new carry on film)

Comment

• Lat-Literal
                              • Aug 2015

.....My internet name during a short period on a gardening site was Bob Flowerjuice as a salute to the prettily named Bob Flowerdew.

Gardening has produced some very good names - Percy Thrower, Fred Loads, Bill Sowerbutts and Bunny Guinness to name but a few.

Even Alan Titchmarsh, on paper, is quite cute.

Comment

Working...
                              X