X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Serial_Apologist
    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by DracoM View Post
    Have done Toronto at this season and shopped mostly underground as a result! So sympathise!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ibk0v_b20Es
    I worked a year in Switzerland in the 1960s. Temperatures did not climb higher than zero Celsius after November 1st. The one day, the following March, I observed a tiny trickle of water beginning to emerge from the edge of a large area of compacted sniow and ice. "Ah!", mine host announced, "That means the spring is here!"

Comment

• BBMmk2
      Late Member
      • Nov 2010

Really heavy frost this morning. Going to London to a pantomime!
      Don’t cry for me
      I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Constantbee
        • Jul 2017

24 hour low of -6.7c. Just started using a new app called Dark Sky which offers 'hyperlocal' up to date forecasts with visualisation, ie weather maps, and a modestly priced option to receive an hour's notice of bad weather. So far so good. Comparing temperature forecasts with readings from the weather station in the garden have given close matches.

Dark Sky’s features have been integrated into Apple Weather. Apple Weather offers hyperlocal forecasts for your current location, including next-hour precipitation, hourly forecasts for the next 10 days, high-resolution radar, and notifications.

Always wondered how church organists cope in conditions like these.
        And the tune ends too soon for us all

Comment

• richardfinegold
          • Sep 2012

Just woke up and it’s-18 F with wind chill -60. What really matters is the direction of travel; I had to make two short walks into the wind yesterday and without exaggeration it felt life threatening, not just for me but universally; if you could shelter under a building or had the wind at your back it was a bit better. People were killed in the Loop after being hit by falling ice from skyscrapers. It would have been worse if the Loop hadn’t been nearly deserted compared to the norm

Comment

• oddoneout
            • Nov 2015

Very cold and very foggy - judging by the 'decoration' on plants there must have been freezing fog for much of last night. The sun is doing its best, but it's taking a long time to get the upper hand. The forecast suggests it should succeed sometime after lunch.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
              • Dec 2010

Originally posted by richardfinegold View Post
              Just woke up and it’s-18 F with wind chill -60. What really matters is the direction of travel; I had to make two short walks into the wind yesterday and without exaggeration it felt life threatening, not just for me but universally; if you could shelter under a building or had the wind at your back it was a bit better. People were killed in the Loop after being hit by falling ice from skyscrapers. It would have been worse if the Loop hadn’t been nearly deserted compared to the norm
              And yet we over here complain when the temperature has not even hit freezing. Your weather has been reported on our news as the coldest in the Mid West for a generation - warnings about not breathing too heavily out there for fear of freezing the lungs! I understand it is due to warm up in the next couples of days with you, so best of luck to you Richard, and hang in in there (inside!) for the time being.

Comment

• richardfinegold
                • Sep 2012

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                And yet we over here complain when the temperature has not even hit freezing. Your weather has been reported on our news as the coldest in the Mid West for a generation - warnings about not breathing too heavily out there for fear of freezing the lungs! I understand it is due to warm up in the next couples of days with you, so best of luck to you Richard, and hang in in there (inside!) for the time being.
                I am at work now, and probably we will have very little to do. Yes, the freezing lung phenomenon is the part that makes you feel like the end is near. I have asthma, and I am glad that least it hasn't been set off by this. There is a story about "frost quakes" here-apparently under ground water that rapidly froze, expanded and caused earthquake like phenomenon by forcing movements of frozen ground, which leads to loud explosive like noise--and I did hear a succession of loud bangs late yesterday afternoon so now I know what that was, because here we worry about firearm related issues.
                I had read Jack London's stories of life in the Yukon when I was a teenager ( To Build A Fire) beingthe most memorable). I think I will try to download some of those to the Kindle today and revisit them.

Comment

• vinteuil
                  • Nov 2010

... richard : we're following your weather -

At least eight people have died in the deep freeze, which has paralysed US cities and transportation.

Comment

• cloughie
                    • Dec 2011

It is travelling eastwards. Here at
                    2.00pm snow, 3.00pm rain, 4.00pm bright sunshine.

Comment

• Pulcinella
                      Host
                      • Feb 2014

Freezing fog all day here.
                      Choir tonight, and I am the lucky(?) keyholder to the rehearsal venue, so I'll be setting off in good time (about a 20-minute walk in good conditions; half the time if I cycle, by the time I've got 'geared up', but I'm certainly not doing that tonight!).
                      I suspect that some members from the outlying villages will choose not to venture out tonight though.

Comment

• BBMmk2
                        Late Member
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post
                        Freezing fog all day here.
                        Choir tonight, and I am the lucky(?) keyholder to the rehearsal venue, so I'll be setting off in good time (about a 20-minute walk in good conditions; half the time if I cycle, by the time I've got 'geared up', but I'm certainly not doing that tonight!).
                        I suspect that some members from the outlying villages will choose not to venture out tonight though.
                        Keep safe at all times Pulcie!

Had some snow last night. I think Brighton had it worse than us. Strange as we are higher up!
                        Don’t cry for me

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• cloughie
                          • Dec 2011

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
                          It is travelling eastwards. Here at
                          2.00pm snow, 3.00pm rain, 4.00pm bright sunshine.
                          ...and did it travel causing multiple problems in East Cornwall and Devon.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                            • Dec 2010

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
                            ...and did it travel causing multiple problems in East Cornwall and Devon.
                            My goodness - and how!!!

Here it started to snow at about 9pm after initial light sleet, and continued intermittently and not particularly heavily until about 7 am, leaving about a centimetre on all surfaces, when it started to revert to rain and sleet. So I was surprised when the local lunchtime news showed pictures of streets in Hampstead with a covering of about 5 cms; it seems that amounts have varied considerably between neighbouring localities as the occluded front bringing the snow has disintegrated unnevenly.

So we go into a cold weekend, but after Sunday it looks pretty much certain that winds will back around to the SW bringing mild conditions in the 8-11 C range across most of the UK.

Off in a moment to do my weekly grocery shopping, hoping there won't be any shortages!

Comment

• teamsaint
                              • Nov 2010

The snow here was supposed to be heavy until midnight last night, gradually easing off. Instead we woke to about an inch or so, but it has got heavier and heavier all day, and it is really heavy now, lots of great big flakes.

Was supposed to be in Birmingham today, but we called the trip off, sensibly as it turned out, as it could have been a nasty journey home.
                              I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• BBMmk2
                                Late Member
                                • Nov 2010

My cousin in Devon, seems alright, thank goodness! Amber warning issued today for snow.
                                Don’t cry for me

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

Working...
                                X