X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Serial_Apologist
    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post
    I find weather related glumness makes it far more difficult to tolerate/deal with man-made drear - especially when things meteorological exacerbate things arthritic.
    It is much milder today, dryish(no actual rain but occasional spits and a general feeling that really the clouds would like to see some action if they weren't rather broken and batting along at a rate of knots) - and grey.
    Hope you can sort the gas charges - you haven't got to the end of a fixed rate tariff have you?
    No I haven't Oddy. This is the ridiculous thing: I used much less gas during the hot summer, and following 5 estimates and a letter in November saying my charges would be reduced by x amount as a consequence of a new government cap, I phoned in a much lesser manual reading, only to be informed on Dec 24th of this increase! On a hiding to nothing I nevertheless got onto the call centre this morning only to be stonewalled by the young chappie detailed to deal with consumer problems and put onto someone else charged with suggesting alternative tariffs, who asked if I'd be OK with rescheduled direct debits - down from the threatened £104/month to £84 - then said something about a problem there, and she'd get back to me - which she hasn't, though admittedly I had to go out to go out shopping. "Shysters, complete shysters, the lot of them!" the chap upstairs thinks!

Comment

• DracoM
      Host
      • Mar 2007

Precisely my experience! And I thought it was just my incompetence!

Comment

• oddoneout
        • Nov 2015

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
        No I haven't Oddy. This is the ridiculous thing: I used much less gas during the hot summer, and following 5 estimates and a letter in November saying my charges would be reduced by x amount as a consequence of a new government cap, I phoned in a much lesser manual reading, only to be informed on Dec 24th of this increase! On a hiding to nothing I nevertheless got onto the call centre this morning only to be stonewalled by the young chappie detailed to deal with consumer problems and put onto someone else charged with suggesting alternative tariffs, who asked if I'd be OK with rescheduled direct debits - down from the threatened £104/month to £84 - then said something about a problem there, and she'd get back to me - which she hasn't, though admittedly I had to go out to go out shopping. "Shysters, complete shysters, the lot of them!" the chap upstairs thinks!
        Oh dear how tiresome - sounds as if they've got their twickers all in a knist as we used to say in our family. I suspect that it would have been something of a challenge for them just to deal with the account errors but having to factor in the energy cap has thrown them totally; then of course as it's winter your consumption will go up so the 'overpayment' will sort itself out if they prevaricate long enough(in the meantime benefiting from you lending them money foc....)

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
          • Dec 2010

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post
          Oh dear how tiresome - sounds as if they've got their twickers all in a knist as we used to say in our family. I suspect that it would have been something of a challenge for them just to deal with the account errors but having to factor in the energy cap has thrown them totally; then of course as it's winter your consumption will go up so the 'overpayment' will sort itself out if they prevaricate long enough(in the meantime benefiting from you lending them money foc....)
          I'm sure you're right Oddy. I'll just have to wait and see if the young lady up in Glasgow comes back with a pronouncement; and, if not, whether or not my lendings as you so well put it have been reduced. Then, if not, decide on taking further action or not: I'm hearing that people who switch aren't protected by the cap because they're starting off on new terms, and can end up even worse off.

Comment

• Lat-Literal
            • Aug 2015

While I am not against direct debits in principle, with gas and electricity I feel differently. Direct debits work best if they are based on actual usage. Where estimates are involved, change can send them awry. In my case, it was a combination of a home move and a wish to change my company which required an intervention from the Ombudsman to sort out the previous lot. However, it can also occur when there are two price increases in a year as with most companies in 2018. They can't handle it. Nor should we be able to in those circumstances. My advice is to go quarterly, make payments on actual meter readings when you make those, and pay by card having set the three months money aside for it.

Comment

• BBMmk2
              Late Member
              • Nov 2010

I see that Scotland is having bad weather at the moment. The sun is out here.
              Don’t cry for me
              I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• DracoM
                Host
                • Mar 2007

Good heavens! The SUN........cloudless skies after four days of non-lift mist / dreech.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                  • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Lat-Literal View Post
                  While I am not against direct debits in principle, with gas and electricity I feel differently. Direct debits work best if they are based on actual usage. Where estimates are involved, change can send them awry. In my case, it was a combination of a home move and a wish to change my company which required an intervention from the Ombudsman to sort out the previous lot. However, it can also occur when there are two price increases in a year as with most companies in 2018. They can't handle it. Nor should we be able to in those circumstances. My advice is to go quarterly, make payments on actual meter readings when you make those, and pay by card having set the three months money aside for it.
                  Thanks for that advice, Lat, which I might well take. E.On - for it is they - advise in the case of problems contacting the Citizens Advice Bureau - of all people! - understaffed by frequently unqualified people, and up to the hilt with every category of problem in existence, with which they are now expected to have to deal!

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by BBMmk2 View Post
                    I see that Scotland is having bad weather at the moment. The sun is out here.
                    And what about Austria right now!!!???

Comment

• oddoneout
                      • Nov 2015

A gloriously sunny start to the day, and noticeable how much it improved people's general demeanor - bringing out the smiles and willingness to engage positively, despite a fairly chilly wind. Things seem to be taking off in the garden - and not just weeds! As always it's a joy to see the winter flowering cherry decking its boughs with palest shell-pink tutus; a really cold spell will halt it temporarily, but now its started it'll keep going until late March/early April.

Comment

• Lat-Literal
                        • Aug 2015

Thanks for that advice, Lat, which I might well take. E.On - for it is they - advise in the case of problems contacting the Citizens Advice Bureau - of all people! - understaffed by frequently unqualified people, and up to the hilt with every category of problem in existence, with which they are now expected to have to deal!
                        You are welcome. I don't have knowledge of E.On or your individual circumstances. Advice from an energy provider to contact the CAB seems unusual to me to say the least. Ideally, you would go back to them and ask for a precise figure of the money you owe and then pay it while simultaneously asking for a shift onto billing that reflects actual future usage. But, they would need to be clear about any hidden clauses which might penalise you for altering any prior arranged agreement mid-term if that is what it would entail and any increase in the rates when moving off largely estimated direct debits. The latter is quite possible although it might not be that much and worth stomaching for the comparative peace of mind. S-A, obviously your own financial situation will have a bearing on all these points. It is, therefore, up to you but you have little to lose by investigating, albeit with a couple of tedious calls.

Hope this helps you in some way.

I was concerned that we would be getting snow by now from the forecasts at the turn of the year but it seems that for Kenley weather station nothing of that sort is forecast at least until the 21st. Do you have any better idea on this? I admit to having looked at the temperature range rather than at any weather symbols which might, I suppose, suggest otherwise.
                        Last edited by Lat-Literal; 08-01-19, 23:00.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                          • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Lat-Literal View Post
                          You are welcome. I don't have knowledge of E.On or your individual circumstances. Advice from an energy provider to contact the CAB seems unusual to me to say the least. Ideally, you would go back to them and ask for a precise figure of the money you owe and then pay it while simultaneously asking for a shift onto billing that reflects actual future usage. But, they would need to be clear about any hidden clauses which might penalise you for altering any prior arranged agreement mid-term if that is what it would entail and any increase in the rates when moving off largely estimated direct debits. The latter is quite possible although it might not be that much and worth stomaching for the comparative peace of mind. S-A, obviously your own financial situation will have a bearing on all these points. It is, therefore, up to you but you have little to lose by investigating, albeit with a couple of tedious calls.

Hope this helps you in some way.
                          Indeed yes, thanks. Martin Lewis (on The Money Programme) was tonight dealing with this issue, saying now is the time to change energy supplier if you're with one of the Big Three, as you're almost certainly being overcharged. Better not say more for fear of falling foul of the no advertising rule!

I was concerned that we would be getting snow by now from the forecasts at the turn of the year but it seems that for Kenley weather station nothing of that sort is forecast at least until the 21st. Do you have any better idea on this? I admit to having looked at the temperature range rather than at any weather symbols which might, I suppose, suggest otherwise.
                          Sticking my neck out I'd say no chance of any snow. From the look of things temperatures should remain in the around to slightly above normal category, and it should remain dry.

Comment

• BBMmk2
                            Late Member
                            • Nov 2010

MrsBBM and her late mother, always get headaches when there is a threat of snow. MrsBBM has been having one for quite a bit now, so I'm not sure if it's all up in the atmosphere somewhere. Whether the stirrings on the continent or further up north in this country, I'm not sure.

At the moment outside looks quite blustery, with a mix of sun and light grey cloud.
                            Don’t cry for me

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                              • Dec 2010

Originally posted by BBMmk2 View Post
                              MrsBBM and her late mother, always get headaches when there is a threat of snow. MrsBBM has been having one for quite a bit now, so I'm not sure if it's all up in the atmosphere somewhere. Whether the stirrings on the continent or further up north in this country, I'm not sure.

At the moment outside looks quite blustery, with a mix of sun and light grey cloud.
                              There was a tiny bit of sleet up on the North Downs this morning, BBM, but it looks like that's yer lot for anything falling from the skies until at least the 18th!

Comment

• BBMmk2
                                Late Member
                                • Nov 2010

There was a tiny bit of sleet up on the North Downs this morning, BBM, but it looks like that's yer lot for anything falling from the skies until at least the 18th!
                                Thanks SA. I dare say we will get a snowfall before long!

A cold and dull, although the sun is trying its best.
                                Last edited by BBMmk2; 11-01-19, 11:02.
                                Don’t cry for me

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

Working...
                                X