X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DracoM
    Host
    • Mar 2007

Best day for a week up here. Sun, mild, dry after overnight rain.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by DracoM View Post
      Best day for a week up here. Sun, mild, dry after overnight rain.
      Indeed, and I even detected substantial warmth in the sun this morning, as I indulged in a cycle trip taking in the almost rural part of the South Circular between E Dulwich and Tulse Hill - the bit where Maggie Thatcher had one of her houses in the small gated housing precinct just before one reaches the public school, travelling westwards. Fortunately the pavement is widened all along that stretch, with segregating markings part of the way.

I'm full of apprehension over this coming Friday evening, when I am booked to meet a jazz VIP at the Bull's Head club in Barnes, all too aware of the undependability of the rail links and time to be spent juggling between a wide choice of substitute bus routes. It's roughly 11 miles each way to cycle, in the dark at this time of year. And the forecast is for strong and gusty headwinds, all the way there!

Comment

• DracoM
        Host
        • Mar 2007

Genuinely would NOT bike it.

Comment

• Bryn
          Banned
          • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
          Indeed, and I even detected substantial warmth in the sun this morning, as I indulged in a cycle trip taking in the almost rural part of the South Circular between E Dulwich and Tulse Hill - the bit where Maggie Thatcher had one of her houses in the small gated housing precinct just before one reaches the public school, travelling westwards. Fortunately the pavement is widened all along that stretch, with segregating markings part of the way.

I'm full of apprehension over this coming Friday evening, when I am booked to meet a jazz VIP at the Bull's Head club in Barnes, all too aware of the undependability of the rail links and time to be spent juggling between a wide choice of substitute bus routes. It's roughly 11 miles each way to cycle, in the dark at this time of year. And the forecast is for strong and gusty headwinds, all the way there!
          TfL reckon at around an hour and a half using the 37 and 485 bus routes. It suggests it would take a similar time on bike, via their 'easy' route, and around 20 minutes quicker using bus, overground, national rail and bus.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
            • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
            TfL reckon at around an hour and a half using the 37 and 485 bus routes.
            Thanks Bryn - will check that one out. An hour and a half is roughly the time it would take to cycle the distance, in reasonable conditions!

Comment

• BBMmk2
              Late Member
              • Nov 2010

I think the weather people forecasted it wrong. I thought it was going to be another www.com today. No, sunny and blue skies! Lovely jubbly!
              Don’t cry for me
              I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                • Dec 2010

Originally posted by BBMmk2 View Post
                I think the weather people forecasted it wrong. I thought it was going to be another www.com today. No, sunny and blue skies! Lovely jubbly!
                Hmmm. Clouding up here now, with indications of spits and spots of rain. Quite mild, still, but with a breeze taking the edge off it. Christmas day now looks to be pleasant, if not particularly mild, with little in the way of wind. Just the conditions to walk off that turkey stuffing and Xmas pud!

Comment

• oddoneout
                  • Nov 2015

After a rather wobbly start(chilly and thinking about drizzle if not rain) it cleared mid morning to give sun and blue sky and a milder feel. I will be able to get into the garden to clear up leaves on the lawn to make it easier to see where a local sick cat has upchucked this time. Although not as horrendously smelly as deposits from the other end they are nonetheless unpleasant and dangerously slippery. The neighbour's overgrown buddleia bushes(gone up to trees and leaning right over my garden) are semi-evergreen and so shed leaves throughout the winter, hence the need to keep clearing.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post
                    After a rather wobbly start(chilly and thinking about drizzle if not rain) it cleared mid morning to give sun and blue sky and a milder feel. I will be able to get into the garden to clear up leaves on the lawn to make it easier to see where a local sick cat has upchucked this time. Although not as horrendously smelly as deposits from the other end they are nonetheless unpleasant and dangerously slippery. The neighbour's overgrown buddleia bushes(gone up to trees and leaning right over my garden) are semi-evergreen and so shed leaves throughout the winter, hence the need to keep clearing.
                    There are a few crazy cats overdoing the pre-Xmas boozing sessions around here too, to judge by some of the pavements.

Comment

• cloughie
                      • Dec 2011

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post
                      ‘The Upchucking of Cats’ would make a good album title - maybe a reworking of Lloyd-Webber! Maybe not that would attract comments like ‘Why gold-plate a dustbin?’

Comment

• oddoneout
                        • Nov 2015

[QUOTE=cloughie;712371]‘The Upchucking of Cats’ would make a good album title - maybe a reworking of Lloyd-Webber! Maybe not that would attract comments like ‘Why gold-plate a dustbin?’[/QUOTE
                        Easier than polishing a ....

Comment

• BBMmk2
                          Late Member
                          • Nov 2010

Back to the norm today, by the looks of it!
                          Don’t cry for me

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• oddoneout
                            • Nov 2015

A promising start failed to live up to expectations, but at least was as the forecast said so I wasn't caught out by the wet. Once again there is a temporary water feature alongside my patio courtesy of the neighbour's water butt which takes all the water from their back roofs and overflows onto hard standing which is tilted to my side - doesn't do the wooden fenceposts much good.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                              • Dec 2010

Originally posted by BBMmk2 View Post
                              Back to the norm today, by the looks of it!
                              A very considerable blow is indeed underway down these parts! Still at least (all being well) the train services will be OK for my Barnes storming journey tonight!

Comment

• BBMmk2
                                Late Member
                                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                                A very considerable blow is indeed underway down these parts! Still at least (all being well) the train services will be OK for my Barnes storming journey tonight!
                                Yes, so I hear. Not good!
                                Don’t cry for me

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

Working...
                                X