• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bryn
    Banned
    • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
    I hope you fully recovered Bryn! A very brave venture, given the weather, iimss!!!
    All good fun, really. The tent is a Eurohike Pop 400 DS (the DS referring to the double skin). Folding it in the significant breeze was not (a breexe, that is). This is how it's done when there is no wind to contend with:

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
      All good fun, really. The tent is a Eurohike Pop 400 DS (the DS referring to the double skin). Folding it in the significant breeze was not (a breexe, that is). This is how it's done when there is no wind to contend with:

I like it! - you could probably squeeze a couple of large cymbals in there too - just for entertaining fellow campers!

Comment

• Bryn
        Banned
        • Mar 2007

With the fibre-glass pole supported flysheet installed, the centre of the tent is lifted to give useful headroom. However, if one of the door sides of the tent faces into the wind, there is a distinct tendency for that side to flip in towards the centre unless the 'V' of flysheet is securely grounded (not an easy thing to achieve on a sandy beach.

Comment

• DracoM
          Host
          • Mar 2007

Up here, wildest, wildest, rain on window like thrown gravel, trees don't know which way is up. Streets pretty well empty. Tiniest kids mums with buggies on post-school run in some danger of being blown under cars - not joking.

Comment

• Bryn
            Banned
            • Mar 2007

From scenes on the News, of waves hitting the seawall at what looked a bit like Dawlish, I reckon my discretion in leaving Shaldon Yesterday evening was the wise option.

Comment

• BBMmk2
              Late Member
              • Nov 2010

Turned out to be a really windy day hereabouts! Look at the weather at Windsor!
              Don’t cry for me
              I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Joseph K
                Banned
                • Oct 2017

Yesterday I could have worn shorts - today, I felt like I needed gloves, at least for the first half of my walk.

Comment

• DracoM
                  Host
                  • Mar 2007

.........and up here, as fine a mid-Autumn afternoon as you could wish.
                  After yesterday's outraged battering, it's as if the weather is a bit sheepish and embarrassed and this is its way of saying sorry!

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                    • Dec 2010

The "bad weather" is all in a line, about 100 miles wide, that stretches all the way from the north of Norway down to Morocco, literally lying in a trough of low pressure. And it's like, the two enormous high pressure systems, one to the east over central Asia and the other out in the mid north Atlantic, are each doing their best to keep that zone where it is - the one to the west pushing at it and the one to the east likewise. And whoever is stuck under the meteorological Maginot Line has to put up with the consequences for as long as it stays put. It will eventually give way on the eastern side, but not very much, meaning that we are likely to be in this will it/won't it limbo unless and until the jet streams - that in pre-global warming times tended the majority of the time to keep these wind and rain-bearing weather systems (lows) on the move - take less of a zig-zagging route that is thought to be in part a result of polar ice melt, we will all be subject to extremes, making our climate more akin to that of Canada and the States.

Comment

• DracoM
                      Host
                      • Mar 2007

Yipes!

Comment

• BBMmk2
                        Late Member
                        • Nov 2010

Another wet and windy day!
                        Don’t cry for me

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                          • Dec 2010

Originally posted by BBMmk2 View Post
                          Another wet and windy day!
                          If we had some of your wind, it might just blow all this clag away, BBM! Very heavy rain last night, just before midnight, let to a total of over an inch altogether for the preceding 24 hours. They're "promising" it will warm up again tomorrow, but I shan't be holding my breath.

Comment

• BBMmk2
                            Late Member
                            • Nov 2010

Just a bit of rain today. Not too much though. Bit later on the sun has been trying to come out, without much success.
                            Don’t cry for me

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                              • Dec 2010

Originally posted by BBMmk2 View Post
                              Just a bit of rain today. Not too much though. Bit later on the sun has been trying to come out, without much success.
                              Interesting to observe, in that everyday way one does, that humidity levels at this altitude are so high right now that all I have to do is go outside and breathe out, and my breath nearly equalises the dry bulb/wet bulb readings, as indicated by my being able to surround myself with my very own self-made cloud of water vapour. It's the first time anyone could rightly accuse me of deliberately creating a fog!

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                                • Dec 2010

I hope neglect for this thread for some time does not mean people will be unprepared for the outbreak of strong northerlies this coming Friday. Make sure to locate the winter wear, people, and get the tender plants indoors quick, as temperatures from Friday to Sunday will be at December levels - or be in for a shock!

Comment

Working...
                                X