X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Petrushka
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by BBMmk2 View Post
    Raining incessantly since towards the end of the morning!
    Heavy rain here since early morning and only just stopped. Sun now out! It's not too warm either and the first time I've worn a jumper indoors for many weeks. On the verge of putting the heating on. How I miss that heatwave!
    "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
      Gone fishin'
      • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
      Woke up at 3 am; had to grab the dressing gown and spread it across the bedclothes to get warm - something that doesn't usually occur until October or November!
      Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
      Heavy rain here since early morning and only just stopped. Sun now out! It's not too warm either and the first time I've worn a jumper indoors for many weeks.
      - The only difference for me in this bit of the Pennines is that I gave in and put the Central Heating on for a "trial run" for a couple of hours this afternoon.
      [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• teamsaint
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post
        The washing on the line here is very definitely rain rinsed (for extra softness); I couldn't be bothered bringing it all in again.
        No chance of that working down here with our hard water........

Stopped raining now,hopefully looking ok for the BH tomorrow..
        I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
          • Dec 2010

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
          No chance of that working down here with our hard water........
          Rainwater doesn't get hard until it absorbs high PH from the ground... but you knew that, for sure!

Comment

• teamsaint
            • Nov 2010

Rainwater doesn't get hard until it absorbs high PH from the ground... but you knew that, for sure!
            I wondered why they never give a degrees Clarke estimate on the weather forecast for chalk areas.......

Edit: Of course they have the soft rain in Ireland.................
            I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• BBMmk2
              Late Member
              • Nov 2010

Typical weather today.
              Don’t cry for me
              I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                • Dec 2010

Typical weather today.

Cumulus convection from ground heating spreading out into stratocumulus infill when the rising air hits the cap/ceiling/or inversion layer, if you prefer - this in turn switching off the heat source from above and then below, allowing the incoming humid Atlantic air to accumulate more cloud. I expect this will go on until Thursday, when a fresh ridge of high pressure is expected to build in from the west, switching the winds around to a somewhat drier, north-westerly direction. When that happens, any infill resulting from surface convection as aforedescribed will hopefully be limited or squeezed out by the lowering of the inversion layer bringing about larger holes at the cloud formation level, and eventually drying out the air sufficiently to limit cloud development altogether, as happened during the heatwave - although the sun being weaker by this stage in the season means it won't get as hot again.

By the way, what's happening to the forum today? Has the person responsible for turning the handle or treading the treadmill back at HQ gone down to Margate for the day, because it's taking an absolute age to get anything posted?

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                  Gone fishin'
                  • Sep 2011

By the way, what's happening to the forum today? Has the person responsible for turning the handle or treading the treadmill back at HQ gone down to Margate for the day, because it's taking an absolute age to get anything posted?
                  ??? No problem here.
                  [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Pulcinella
                    Host
                    • Feb 2014

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                    ??? No problem here.
                    Completely froze on me a while back; I had to delete a post as I was unable to continue typing or to edit it after posting. OK now though. Might have been an iPad glitch.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post
                      Completely froze on me a while back; I had to delete a post as I was unable to continue typing or to edit it after posting. OK now though. Might have been an iPad glitch.
                      I'm wondering about that. In the first instance the delay seemed limited to getting into threads of several thousand postings, which is to be expected, but when I tried returning to edit a just posted message, I too was timed out.

Comment

• BBMmk2
                        Late Member
                        • Nov 2010

Ordinary day today by the looks of it. Lots of cloud cover, with maybe a bit of sun, perhaps?
                        Don’t cry for me
                        I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• cloughie
                          • Dec 2011

Ordinary day today by the looks of it. Lots of cloud cover, with maybe a bit of sun, perhaps?
                          Same here BBM!

Comment

• Constantbee
                            • Jul 2017

Magnificent displays of rowan berries here this year - hawthorns, too, but not quite ripe yet. Birds are in for a treat. This is something I associate with cold winters, though
                            And the tune ends too soon for us all

Comment

• oddoneout
                              • Nov 2015

Originally posted by Constantbee View Post
                              Magnificent displays of rowan berries here this year - hawthorns, too, but not quite ripe yet. Birds are in for a treat. This is something I associate with cold winters, though
                              Conditions when the fruit buds are being initiated and when flowering occurs(temperature and pollinators are key) are what influence the set of fruit. To what extent those historic conditions have a bearing on the forthcoming winter - movement of jet stream and such like - which can therefore be linked in anything other than a coincidental fashion re fruit set and severity of winter I don't know.

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
                                Banned
                                • Jul 2011

Is it just me, or do grey skies seem worse than ever since the wonderful summer faded? Gloomy and doomy...
                                We see far too little of what you once called "that big yellow thing in the sky".... I often think of it as the BFL - Big Friendly Lion...

Comment

Working...
                                X