Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Serial_Apologist
    • Dec 2010

Withe everyone seemingly referring back to 1976, I've checked by records of the time, and found it not to have been as bone dry as this one: there were more thunderstorms about, and they were more geographically spread across the whole country. I remember the day when the temperature exceeded the 90 degrees Fahrenheit mark (33 degs C), and I cycled deep into the countryside, and watched thunder clouds piling up against the sunset, almost transfixed. I only just made it home - the lightning and thunder was truly awesome - but that was the only time I can recall getting soaked right through, and really delighting in the cooling experience of it.

Comment

• BBMmk2
      Late Member
      • Nov 2010

That’s interesting, SA. Thank you! It’s going to be around 30C today hereabouts!
      Don’t cry for me
      I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Brassbandmaestro View Post
        That’s interesting, SA. Thank you! It’s going to be around 30C today hereabouts!
        It was horrendously hot and humid when I emptied the rubbish this morning, so I'm staying indoors until I need to go outside again - probably after 6 pm, when I should pop upstairs and water neighbours' pot plants, including a hanging basket of Petunias and Bizzie Lizzies, and two ground containers with tall sunflowers now displaying. The family concerned will miss this - as indeed they did last year, leaving the rest of the block to benefit thereby! They drove off to north Norfolk yesterday, well aware of the highest temperatures anywhere being there. The "experts" are talking of a few possible 36-37 degrees C tomorrow in E Anglia, maybe 35 for central London, which will mean 33 C here on the Crystal Palace mountain! Fortunately I'm well stocked with lager and lemonade in the fridge. Friday night into Saturday looks likely to bring some relief everywhere, with general rain following in the wake of any thunderstorms, and winds going to a normal south-westerly until around Thursday a week tomorrow, when the Azores High is expected to throw another ridge across the country.

Comment

• teamsaint
          • Nov 2010

So, with 35 degrees ( whats that in old money?) and a train strike, seems like tomorrow is a perfect day for a business trip to central London

Anyhow, apart from being a bit humid, its lovely here today, hot , just enough cloud from time to time cover to give relief.

Interesting bit on the radio yesterday about the Environment agency dealing with stranded fish in drying up and de oxegenated rivers and lakes.
          I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
            • Dec 2010

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
            So, with 35 degrees ( whats that in old money?)
            35 C = 95 F.

Interesting bit on the radio yesterday about the Environment agency dealing with stranded fish in drying up and de oxegenated rivers and lakes.
            Many of our native flora and fauna are finding considerable difficulty in adjusting to our version of global warming, as compared in that instance with some fish we saw in central Africa on one of Attenborough's wonderful programmes, which bury themselves up to the head in the drying out mud of the dry season, and sort of "hibernate" it out until the next rush of water resuscitates them.

Comment

• teamsaint
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
              35 C = 95 F.

Many of our native flora and fauna are finding considerable difficulty in adjusting to our version of global warming, as compared in that instance with some fish we saw in central Africa on one of Attenborough's wonderful programmes, which bury themselves up to the head in the drying out mud of the dry season, and sort of "hibernate" it out until the next rush of water resuscitates them.
              Wow, fascinating fish knowledge , S-A.
              I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                • Dec 2010

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
                Wow, fascinating fish knowledge , S-A.
                As long as I don't have to come back as one of those; it can't be much fun, effectively being buried in body-hugging concrete for six months!

Comment

• BBMmk2
                  Late Member
                  • Nov 2010

32C today!
                  Don’t cry for me

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Lat-Literal
                    • Aug 2015

They are saying on the radio that it is 36.5 degrees in Surrey ie here or hereabouts. If we are a part of the "South East fortress", it is walled to prevent all public transport access to a sandy beach. The need to cross London blocks northern travel. Eight days of rail strikes on South West trains until and including 1 Sep blocks western travel. It's shingle of nothing.

Comment

• vinteuil
                      • Nov 2010

Travel by train from Ebbsfleet International to Paris in 5h 5m. Get train times, compare prices & buy cheap train tickets for Ebbsfleet International to Paris today.

Comment

• oddoneout
                        • Nov 2015

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                        It was horrendously hot and humid when I emptied the rubbish this morning, so I'm staying indoors until I need to go outside again - probably after 6 pm, when I should pop upstairs and water neighbours' pot plants, including a hanging basket of Petunias and Bizzie Lizzies, and two ground containers with tall sunflowers now displaying. The family concerned will miss this - as indeed they did last year, leaving the rest of the block to benefit thereby! They drove off to north Norfolk yesterday, well aware of the highest temperatures anywhere being there. The "experts" are talking of a few possible 36-37 degrees C tomorrow in E Anglia, maybe 35 for central London, which will mean 33 C here on the Crystal Palace mountain! Fortunately I'm well stocked with lager and lemonade in the fridge. Friday night into Saturday looks likely to bring some relief everywhere, with general rain following in the wake of any thunderstorms, and winds going to a normal south-westerly until around Thursday a week tomorrow, when the Azores High is expected to throw another ridge across the country.
                        They should be OK if they can get to the coast - anything up to 10 cooler by the briny than inland.

Comment

• Lat-Literal
                          • Aug 2015

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post

Travel by train from Ebbsfleet International to Paris in 5h 5m. Get train times, compare prices & buy cheap train tickets for Ebbsfleet International to Paris today.

I guess so - but how to get to Ebbsfleet?

One also has to be a jogger/joggeur:

Artist: Benjamin BiolayAlbum: Les joggers sur la plageYear: 2002

(It does for waves on rocks what Albatross did for birds)

Also, I am more of a Marseille man than a Paris man, by virtue of being, on occasion, cantankerous.

Comment

• BBMmk2
                            Late Member
                            • Nov 2010

They lied! They said things which didn’t come about! Thunderstorms! I love a good thunderstorm. More hot weather! 26C!
                            Don’t cry for me

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• DracoM
                              Host
                              • Mar 2007

Up here, last night, ominous stillness, not a leaf stirring, great weighty, thundery cloudscapes, stiifling heat and then...........nice semi-orange moon and then nowt. Not a drop.

And this a.m.? Pretty well cloudless, jolly breeze, looks wonderful............quite warm, but.....none of that promised rain yet.

Comment

• Lat-Literal
                                • Aug 2015

Originally posted by Brassbandmaestro View Post
                                They lied! They said things which didn’t come about! Thunderstorms! I love a good thunderstorm. More hot weather! 26C!
                                They have been consistently wrong. Promised thunderstorms in the London area around Midday. Didn't happen. The most I found was the slightest drop of water at around 5am when I was removing more brown plants from the garden. Not sure if it was dew from the rooftop or not. I am hoping it isn't a leak. It was weird - so slight most wouldn't have even noticed it.

Originally posted by DracoM View Post
                                Up here, last night, ominous stillness, not a leaf stirring, great weighty, thundery cloudscapes, stiifling heat and then...........nice semi-orange moon and then nowt. Not a drop.

And this a.m.? Pretty well cloudless, jolly breeze, looks wonderful............quite warm, but.....none of that promised rain yet.
                                Semi-orange moon on to a blood moon tonight at around 8.30pm, I think. Expected to last for 83 minutes which is the longest in many years. Astronomically and astrologically it is an unusual arrangement. Mars will be viewable, probably to the right. That is unless "the thunderstorm" coincides. Then nothing will be seen which is nature's way of adding insult to injury.

The full moon on July 27, 2018 at 4° Aquarius is a total lunar eclipse. The lunar eclipse July 2018 astrology is mainly influenced by Mars, making this an emotionally challenging eclipse. Mars anger and frustration could easily turn to reckless actions because of a harsh aspect to Uranus. A more gentle influence from Saturn […]

(The longest total lunar eclipse this century is going to have an incredibly powerful influence on private lives and a blood moon conjunct Mars is generally considered an omen of war)

Rosita is teaching Elmo and Abby a new song and dance called If You're Happy and You Know It! It's like Simon Says but with music! Sing along to this classic...
                                Last edited by Lat-Literal; 27-07-18, 14:16.

Comment

Working...
                                X