X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DracoM
    Host
    • Mar 2007

Wind chill numbing, and snow billows horizontally whipped by vicious easterly, but also sudden blasts of bright sun.
    Beware any walkers on our fell tops round here. Just wouldn't, if I were you, unless you have top kit, and a death wish.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
      • Dec 2010

A centimeter of snow on the grass, but the paths stay wet as a consequence of the ground still being relatively warm from the last few days' mild temperatures. Big problem here with outside locks: the temperature rise above zero very briefly before freezing again is making difficulties for people trying to get into their vehicles! Even the bolt into the bins compound needed a kettleful of hot water before it would budge. The actual temperature is a couple of degrees up on the maxima I recorded on March 1st and 2nd, but the windchill and high humidity levels are making it feel a lot colder. Fortunately there should be only two days of this - winds shift round to more of a northerly on Monday - not exactly a warm direction, but cutting off the Siberian air source. Anyway, something's upset my stomach, so I wasn't to be going anywhere today, anyway.

Comment

• DracoM
        Host
        • Mar 2007

Huge blizzards in patches, visibility to nil in a matter of minutes, BUT the wind is so ferocious, it's barely settling. And, brother, is it cold!
        But it's sure as heck settling now...............!! And more on the way.
        Last edited by DracoM; 17-03-18, 20:55.

Comment

• BBMmk2
          Late Member
          • Nov 2010

Quite a fierce and very cold wind this evening. My wife was knocked for six by it.
          Don’t cry for me
          I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Bryn
            Banned
            • Mar 2007

Good job I decided to garage the car tonight. When I did so there were mere flurries of snow. Now it had settled and is crunchy under foot.

Comment

• DracoM
              Host
              • Mar 2007

It's the wind that's really doing the damage - driving snow in great horizontal billows. And it's accumulating.

Comment

• BBMmk2
                Late Member
                • Nov 2010

We were going to a concert this afternoon but the adverse weather conditions in Yorkshire has prevented the Black Dyke band from coming down. Great shame but it's better be safe than sorry.
                Don’t cry for me
                I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• greenilex
                  • Nov 2010

Dog went crazy in the park this morning - running round in huge circles with her mouth open to catch snowflakes, playing with lumps thrown up by her feet etc.

Snow very wet and sculptural but I abandoned my figure when my fingers started to freeze.

Comment

• DracoM
                    Host
                    • Mar 2007

Sun / cloud, some thaw, BUT the bitter easterlies still ravaging.
                    Wind-chill a huge factor up here on western edge of Pennines.
                    Snow flurries every so often.

Comment

• cloughie
                      • Dec 2011

Lovely sunny morning, forecast of snow later on this afternoon.

Comment

• eighthobstruction
                        • Nov 2010

....just cold, wet, white and miserable....and as for the weather....
                        bong ching

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                          • Dec 2010

Coldest day this far into March I've experienced in all my 60 years of studying weather. Ironically it just started snowing as the sun broke through. Minus 1 degree Celsius the maximum; dry crunchy frozen snow underfoot, stinging wind chill. Very pretty out there, but I'm not intending to venture out.

Comment

• Lat-Literal
                            • Aug 2015

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                            Coldest day this far into March I've experienced in all my 60 years of studying weather. Ironically it just started snowing as the sun broke through. Minus 1 degree Celsius the maximum; dry crunchy frozen snow underfoot, stinging wind chill. Very pretty out there, but I'm not intending to venture out.
                            A lull around midday with little ice on the road. Just snow on the gardens and some pavements. Now it is snowing again - heavily. I thought this wasn't supposed to be happening?

Comment

• DracoM
                              Host
                              • Mar 2007

Just been out for a walk on lower slopes.
                              Cloud massing to SE, sun totally gone, wind is absolutely searing - have known similar strength oop 'ere, of course, but rarely if EVER this cold, nor for SO many days in succession.

Comment

• Petrushka
                                • Nov 2010

We were forecast heavy snow showers up here for most of the day but so far nothing has materialised.
                                "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

Working...
                                X