Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • eighthobstruction
    • Nov 2010

....swallows and Swifts still here....and my very own Buzzard with red/tan thighs....
    bong ching

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
      • Dec 2010

Gorgeous weather in London today - temperature reached 22C and has barely fallen even this late in the afternoon. I am presently trying to get some of this warmth to flood into my chilly flat - ironic, given that a month ago I would have been doing the reverse!

Comment

• oddoneout
        • Nov 2015

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
        Gorgeous weather in London today - temperature reached 22C and has barely fallen even this late in the afternoon. I am presently trying to get some of this warmth to flood into my chilly flat - ironic, given that a month ago I would have been doing the reverse!
        Today has been much better here as well. Yesterday the combination of overcast skies until well after lunch and too much NE wind flow made for a distinctly bracing day. Today looked first thing as if it might be similar, with grey sky and continuing NE breeze, and was chilly to begin with but soon warmed up, and when the sun came out properly at about 10 am layers were shed by us gardeners doing out Wednesday volunteer slot. It's very dry though so watering is still needed.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
          • Dec 2010

Has anybody yet been affected by the intense thunderstorm which broke out mid-morning off the Kent/Sussex coast before hitting the Crawley/Horsham/Pulborough area with 2 inches of rain in half an hour, marble-sized hail, lightning strikes and flooded roads, then moving WNW to do similar for Reading and Oxford. This system - undoubtedly an MSC - is now exiting the NW "shoulder" of the Cotswolds to hit Gloucestershire and the Welsh border, with lightning flashes all the time. We have been incredibly lucky to have missed this in London, where sunshine is now once more unbroken following a clammy cloudy morning; but I have my doubts we will get away with it tomorrow - and Sunday looks especially ominous, particularly for the south.

Next week looks to become quite cold from Tuesday on. Back to hot meals, much earlier than usual in the year.

PS - It now seems possible that a tornado occurred in the Reading area.

Comment

• Old Grumpy
            • Jan 2011

Ah well...

at least you don't get the Cumbrian "filth"!

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
              • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Old Grumpy View Post
              Ah well...

at least you don't get the Cumbrian "filth"!

What's odd is that upstairs neighbours motored from the part of Sussex affected this morning, but they said nothing about it. Must ask them when I see them again.

Comment

• oddoneout
                • Nov 2015

When the sun has eventually got out the past two days it has been pleasantly warm but the mornings have been very overcast and with a brisk NE breeze it has been distinctly chilly until late morning. Continues very dry - earliest indication of rain is Monday - and the dust clouds being whipped up by work on the adjacent development site are impressive, several metres high, and most uncomfortable - gritty eyes and irritated nostrils.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                  • Dec 2010

Pictures from the Beeb of yesterday's tornado over Aldershot - not Reading, as I previously thought. I guess the reason for it not having been featured on yesterday's news programmes - apart from there being so much other much more serious news - is that the tornado path seems to have been just a mile and a half in length. Nevertheless an event of this kind would once have been headline.

Footage of the tornado in Aldershot was captured on residents' doorbell cameras.

I'm doing my weekly laundry today, instead of the usual Sunday, to give it some chance of drying and maybe even not being blown off the line, if tomorrow's forecast is anything to go by!

Comment

• Petrushka
                    • Nov 2010

Big thunderstorms going on now here in Staffordshire, especially in the Stafford area, with some very heavy rain.
                    "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• Petrushka
                      • Nov 2010

It's been hammering down here since 4pm. No flooding worries for myself, unless the rain turns out to be of Noah's Ark proportions, but I can see some people getting worried.
                      "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• oddoneout
                        • Nov 2015

The likelihood of rain here continues to recede... It was going to be overnight, starting in the early hours, getting heavier and then fading away mid morning. There was a brief suggestion a couple of hours ago that much of the morning might be heavy rain. The latest version is light rain starting just before dawn, getting heavy for a couple of hours and then giving up by 10am. Looking at the cloud masses I think there is even less chance than that if they just continue to move northwards as predicted, as they will then miss the majority of the East Anglian bulge completely. No need to worry abut flooding but also no relief for crispy plants.

Comment

• DracoM
                          Host
                          • Mar 2007

Cumbria is very fine, very beautiful, but trapped between Irish Sea, Pennines, Nordic blasts, the weather here can indeed be 'filth' / horrible, AND it can also be heart-stoppingly majestic.

Comment

• Pulcinella
                            Host
                            • Feb 2014

Little landing night light still on this morning: don't think there'll be much solar power today.
                            Poor schoolchildren trudging off in this downpour!

Comment

• oddoneout
                              • Nov 2015

Stuck between two completely different forecasts today; they often differ but not usually to this degree. The Met Office to the west reckons a brief bit of light rain(currently manifesting as the merest smear of drizzle) then dry. The Beeb to the east reckons thundery showers throughout the morning. A lot will depend on the chunk of weather currently coming in and moving westwards, which I suspect will have broken up/lost its usefulness(rain) by the time it gets here. As expected, overnight rain didn't materialise - there was just an indication that there had been a very slight amount of wet deposited briefly. It has freshened things up and laid the ever present dust but done nothing for the garden, so I think the time has come to admit defeat in the garden, especially the veg patch, and start the autumn clear-up - several weeks early this year due to the dry. And no that doesn't mean sterile bare beds of no value to wildlife, just editing.
                              Just noticed that the Beeb also reckons there will be more rain the next couple of days, the Met shows dry the rest of the week. Oh well, at least with the temperatures down wearing a waterproof "in case" won't be a problem...

Comment

• Old Grumpy
                                • Jan 2011

Five best UK weather apps:

From long-range forecasts to ‘real feel’ temperatures, a good app can prepare you for the best and worst of weather

Comment

Working...
                                X