Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • oddoneout
    • Nov 2015

Not sure this is the best way( even if it is a headline, to describe what the day might hold?
    Early rain clearing to heavy and thundery showers today.

Comment

• DracoM
      Host
      • Mar 2007

Rain, low, thick cloud.
      What a bloomin' cold, dreary mess this Spring and Summer have been so far,

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post
        York's lightning strike 40 years ago!

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/9...0-7a16fdd78375
        Some said it just showed what could happen if you took on the job when not 100% endorsing the creed!

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
          • Dec 2010

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post
          Not sure this is the best way( even if it is a headline, to describe what the day might hold?
          Yesterday's official prediction was for the main rain band to clear north followed by odds and sods of rain down here. In fact it has been more-or-less continuously raining all day; just now I decided to stay put before venturing out as it was absolutely bucketing down. Yesterday's forecast for today has been repeated as today's forecast for tomorrow; I'm wondering how far out they will be this time.

Comment

• vinteuil
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post

Some said it just showed what could happen if you took on the job when not 100% endorsing the creed!
            ... I think the joke was that God was trying to strike the semi-believer David Jenkins, Bishop of Durham, but missed. Well, Durham and York are only seventy miles apart, not a bad shot from an infinite distance...

(David Jenkins was consecrated bishop of Durham on 6 July 1984 : York Minster was struck three days later. Well, infinity is quite a long way away... )

Comment

• Pulcinella
              Host
              • Feb 2014

It was this bit of the report that was news to me: I'd never heard of a positively charged lightning bolt!
              Alternatively, it may have been a positively charged lightning bolt, a more powerful and dangerous discharge than usual negative lightning strikes. When thunderstorms end and all their negative charges have been exhausted, a pool of positive charges can be left hanging in the air, even after the thundercloud has gone. The positive charges can then suddenly discharge in one huge lightning bolt, sometimes causing great damage.

Comment

• vinteuil
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post
                It was this bit of the report that was news to me: I'd never heard of a positively charged lightning bolt!
                ... thanks for this - very interesting!*
                My 33 year old stepson (doctorate, engineer &c) was trying to answer my four year old grandson's question yesterday - "What makes the lightning?". I don't think his elaborate explanation made much impact, because it coincided with the arrival of strawberries and ice-cream...

* there's a good wiki page -

Last edited by vinteuil; 09-07-24, 15:36.

Comment

• oddoneout
                  • Nov 2015

Yesterday's official prediction was for the main rain band to clear north followed by odds and sods of rain down here. In fact it has been more-or-less continuously raining all day; just now I decided to stay put before venturing out as it was absolutely bucketing down. Yesterday's forecast for today has been repeated as today's forecast for tomorrow; I'm wondering how far out they will be this time.
                  Nothing so definite as a band of rain, just slight intermittent leakage from uniform light grey skies during the afternoon. On the plus side it got quite warm, but that did of course make wearing a waterproof somewhat uncomfortable. The forecast for tomorrow is dry and getting warm; the dry bit is certainly a welcome improvement as yesterday it was suggesting all day rain - not good for the volunteer gardening.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                    • Dec 2010

Yesterday was the beginning of the short period of a month when average daytime maximum temperatures reach their peak - 23C up here on S London's mountain, a couple of degrees more in the centre. Whether or not this means it will actually get warmer or not depends on a break in this remarkably persistent southward displacement of the Atlantic jet, which is most unusual if not unheard of during the summer quarter. We wait to see if this latest postponement by a week of warmer conditions turns out to be as previously this year, thus far.

Comment

• DracoM
                      Host
                      • Mar 2007

Up here, humid, wet, horizons in thick cloud........i.e. 'summer' yuck dawdles on and on and on....

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                        • Dec 2010

Unexpected shower of large raindrops this evening as winds dropped out and surreptitiously shifted round from westerly to northerly - clearly convection along a convergence line, introducing tomorrow's expected col weather. This evening's sunset was a dramatic vivid orange.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                          • Dec 2010

With cloud three layers deep it's a welcome surprise to now find a few breaks allowing sunshine to come through, which should bring the temperature up to a comfortable level this afternoon. Think I'll make today my weekly shopping trip, rather than tomorrow, when another round of showers are predicted to spread down from the north.

Comment

• Old Grumpy
                            • Jan 2011

Think I'll make today my weekly shopping trip, rather than tomorrow, when another round of showers are predicted to spread down from the north.
                            It's always them oop north, i'nt it?

Good job that Levelling Up's been cancelled.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                              • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Old Grumpy View Post

It's always them oop north, i'nt it?

Good job that Levelling Up's been cancelled.
                              Equalisation would have been a fairer objective, IMV.

Comment

• DracoM
                                Host
                                • Mar 2007

Cold, wet, foggy filth up here.
                                Summer 2024 - will there actually be one?
                                Or is this climate change in its weeds and rags from now on?

Comment

Working...
                                X