Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Petrushka
    • Nov 2010

Cooled down out of doors but inside it's still 27C in my listening room - not that I am complaining!

Outside it's very windy, once again it's the BBC 'moderate breeze' which is always something stronger than that.

Indeed, the major noticeable feature of summers over the past few years has been the increase in wind strength, something that you once hardly ever got outside of the autumn/winter months, but which now is a permanent fixture. I notice it so much because strong winds usually make me feel bad, often unwell, causing headaches and colds. Keeping out of them is easier said than done.
    "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• Old Grumpy
      • Jan 2011

Distinctly cool (but very pleasant) this evening in Redditch

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
        • Dec 2010

Apparently several locations recorded lower temperature averages for June than for May - a first time ever in the annals. And today is another one with below early July averages - just 16C at midday here under dark grey skies and heavy drizzle. With poor old Jamaica about to be hit by Hurricane Beryl I suppose we have to be thankful for what would have passed as a very disappointing summer back in the 1960s and 70s, if the alternative is blistering, life-threatening heat.

Comment

• Petrushka
          • Nov 2010

A bright and sunny election day here but distinctly cool and with a very unpleasant wind. This is now several days in a row where the wind has been strong and the trees, in full leaf, are flapping around in a dangerous looking manner. Tree debris everywhere on my walk to the polling station just now.
          "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• DracoM
            Host
            • Mar 2007

Absolutely agree - with a double brrrr brrr from up here in Cumbria.
            Nasty, cold wind, more March than July, and deffo NOT summer!

Crikey!

Comment

• oddoneout
              • Nov 2015

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
              A bright and sunny election day here but distinctly cool and with a very unpleasant wind. This is now several days in a row where the wind has been strong and the trees, in full leaf, are flapping around in a dangerous looking manner. Tree debris everywhere on my walk to the polling station just now.
              Ditto. Wind gusting up to 30mph and knocking 4 or 5 degrees off the temperature. Seasonal supports for the likes of clematis and climbing peas and beans(made from the pollarded willow in my garden) are being stress tested to a degree I didn't factor in when putting them up.
              The air is never still in this part of the world (took me a while to get used to when we moved up from London), but there is a considerable difference between constant light breeze(chilly when easterly), and the kind of strong gusty offerings we are seeing now on a weekly basis and unrelated to the seasons. But that's what was predicted decades ago; weather would become more extreme - hot periods hotter, winds stronger, and rainfall heavier and everything increasingly erratic.

Comment

• DracoM
                Host
                • Mar 2007

.....and great swathes of heavy rain driven by Cumbrian westerlies. Got drenched literally in two minutes.
                Yuk.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                  • Dec 2010

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post

Ditto. Wind gusting up to 30mph and knocking 4 or 5 degrees off the temperature. Seasonal supports for the likes of clematis and climbing peas and beans(made from the pollarded willow in my garden) are being stress tested to a degree I didn't factor in when putting them up.
                  The air is never still in this part of the world (took me a while to get used to when we moved up from London), but there is a considerable difference between constant light breeze(chilly when easterly), and the kind of strong gusty offerings we are seeing now on a weekly basis and unrelated to the seasons. But that's what was predicted decades ago; weather would become more extreme - hot periods hotter, winds stronger, and rainfall heavier and everything increasingly erratic.
                  Indeed - tight pressure gradients (isobars close together) not unknown, but rather unusual for this time of the year in terms of frequency.

Comment

• Old Grumpy
                    • Jan 2011

Variable weather in Clovelly - strong Westerly wind, cloud, mainly dry with occasional light showers. Temp 14 to 17°C by the car thermometer (en route).

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                      • Dec 2010

Temperatures very low today for early July, maxing out at 16C - early May or mid-October values! - and not helped by a fresh to strong westerly, bringing very heavy rain overnight and showers today - all this not helped by the Atlantic jet being way south of what would once have been the normal expectation for high summer, namely somewhere between Scotland and Iceland, not pushed way down over the Mediterranean!

The tendency towards a preponderance of "stuck" weather situations Yours truly has been mentioning on the forum for quite some time now is the subject of the linked article from a science journal; it is well worth reading:

Comment

• oddoneout
                        • Nov 2015

Here we briefly reached the dizzy heights of 14C. A great deal of rain overnight(an inch collected in an empty bucket overnight) and very heavy bursts throughout the day, especially the morning. After 3 attempts to get out before lunch I gave up, had lunch and tried again with more success. An occasion where giving in and using the car wouldn't have worked as I had several errands to do around town. At about 6pm the sky cleared to blue with fluffy bits, the wind dropped a lot and the sun came out so at least we finish the day on a more positive note...

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                          • Dec 2010

A day of huge thunder showers - one approaching from the west right now, having done a "right turn", which is often a sign of severity, where showers line up forming temporary convergence fronts accompanied by a sharp wind veer preceded by a brief anticlockwise shift as the leading edge approaches. I had to bring in washing from the line that I had only put out an hour previously, and thus had not had time to dry; having ironed it the two bed sheets and shirt now dangling over doors are at least infusing a pleasant smell of conditioner, and will be good to get between when the bed next gets changed!

The other week I was caught waiting at a bus stop when what had appeared to be an innocuous approaching shower flooded the road in a minute, and traffic was moving through a couple of feet of water, forcing waiting travellers to step back when buses approached! Climate change scientists have been warning of the increased quantities of rain expected from what were once just everyday meteorological occurrences, and it has indeed been noticeable how much heavier rainfalls are becoming from hitherto commmonplace events, even the previously humble summer afternoon cold air thunderstorm consisting of three or four claps of thunder and ten minutes' worth of heavy rain and small hail. Yes indeed, the rain's now arrived, and it is hammering it down. .

Later: temperature dropped from 18C to 10C in that downpour - can't recall all the windows steaming up in July before!
                          Last edited by Serial_Apologist; 07-07-24, 14:35.

Comment

• oddoneout
                            • Nov 2015

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                            A day of huge thunder showers - one approaching from the west right now, having done a "right turn", which is often a sign of severity, where showers line up forming temporary convergence fronts accompanied by a sharp wind veer preceded by a brief anticlockwise shift as the leading edge approaches. I had to bring in washing from the line that I had only put out an hour previously, and thus had not had time to dry; having ironed it the two bed sheets and shirt now dangling over doors are at least infusing a pleasant smell of conditioner, and will be good to get between when the bed next gets changed!

The other week I was caught waiting at a bus stop when what had appeared to be an innocuous approaching shower flooded the road in a minute, and traffic was moving through a couple of feet of water, forcing waiting travellers to step back when buses approached! Climate change scientists have been warning of the increased quantities of rain expected from what were once just everyday meteorological occurrences, and it has indeed been noticeable how much heavier rainfalls are becoming from hitherto commmonplace events, even the previously humble summer afternoon cold air thunderstorm consisting of three or four claps of thunder and ten minutes' worth of heavy rain and small hail. Yes indeed, the rain's now arrived, and it is hammering it down. .

Later: temperature dropped from 18C to 10C in that downpour - can't recall all the windows steaming up in July before!
                            Today has turned out much better than expected, improving from rain forecast for most of the day to rain arriving late afternoon, and what has actually turned up is plenty of sun, a fair amount of warmth and, despite black clouds with some thunder, just a few very brief wet spots or if unlucky an equally short downpour. The outdoor event I was attending was able to go ahead without the need to move anything inside/under cover; an added bonus since it was about identifying and recording wildlife, which tends to disappear from sight when it chucks down.

Comment

• DracoM
                              Host
                              • Mar 2007

Mostly sun, and then suddenly a Niagara of rain for 20 mins - WOW!

Comment

• Pulcinella
                                Host
                                • Feb 2014

York's lightning strike 40 years ago!

Comment

Working...
                                X