Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Serial_Apologist
    • Dec 2010

At the the moment it appears that a large offshoot from the Azores high is set to cross the middle of the UK over the weekend, bringing temperatures up a tad above the averages. This then settles centred over the Norway/Denmark straits to give an easterly-sou'easterly flow across us all into next week. This looks pretty reliable, and means dry weather, with quite high temperatures - nothing exceptional though, thankfully - the highest probably furthest from the cooling influence of the N Sea. Beyond that lie the usual possibilities with the resulting ridge declining or retreating east, allowing either cooler conditions to return from the NW or thundery heat to creep up from the Continent - but that's too far ahead for reiiability.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
      • Dec 2010

Following what seemed to be a very promising start, the weather has turned completely cloudy, with a 99% coverage of stratocumulus with cumulus below, and a near-windless mugginess that sapped the energy from my 4-mile walk this afternoon. The cloud has not prevented the temperature from reaching 23C. My washing on the line is still damp. If the temperature continues rising this week as predicted and humidity stays at these levels, it's gonna get pretty uncomfortable.

Comment

• Old Grumpy
        • Jan 2011

22/23°C at Fountains Abbey this afternoon, but a pleasant, refreshing breeze.

Lovely day

Comment

• Petrushka
          • Nov 2010

Here in the middle of England it's been a hot, sunny day with a little cloud and very little to no wind. Temperatures got up to 26°C this afternoon.

This is what we've been crying out for for weeks and it's most welcome.
          "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• DracoM
            Host
            • Mar 2007

Same up here!

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
              • Dec 2010

Cumulus growing and, as expected from yesterday, spreading into stratocumulus, following a warm night (Min. 15C) and sunny start. The inversion is quite low (for summer) however, creating more chances of the cloud at least partially burning off this afternoon to give sunny intervals, but a virtually flat calm is going to make it feel more humid than it actually is, unfortunately, which won't make much difference whether in town or countryside. Maybe a take a leisurely cycle ride this afternoon.

Comment

• Old Grumpy
                • Jan 2011

25°C and total blue skies here

... definitely not cool though!

Comment

• DracoM
                  Host
                  • Mar 2007

Genuine scorcher here - yes in CUMBRIA!

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                    • Dec 2010

The temperature appears to be the same as yesterday's here by this stage, though it feels a bit hotter, there being much less of the same kind of cloud as yesterday's as a consequence of the airmass drying out somewhat as winds turn easterly. Yesterday actually turned out not too bad for a longish cycle ride, taking in Penge, Lower Sydenham, Ladywell, Lewisham (the office tower blocks district), Deptford Creek (amazingly clear view across to C'nary Wharf), New Cross, Peckham Rye, and home via Dulwich village. Bit of a rest today - just round a few blocks on foot to keep the old grey cells working.

Comment

• DracoM
                      Host
                      • Mar 2007

Hot, humid and suffocating - but far less sun.

Comment

• oddoneout
                        • Nov 2015

Much cooler start to the day due to being overcast and a cool airflow. As the sun broke through finally late morning the temperature started to rise but the breeze moving towards easterly offset it. I am glad that it will be a bit cooler the next few days; I don't cope very well with high temperatures, especially when they happen suddenly after a cold spell, but the past few days have had the extra difficulty of bad hay fever and then getting a cold in addition, just to add to the general discomfort.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                          • Dec 2010

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post
                          Much cooler start to the day due to being overcast and a cool airflow. As the sun broke through finally late morning the temperature started to rise but the breeze moving towards easterly offset it. I am glad that it will be a bit cooler the next few days; I don't cope very well with high temperatures, especially when they happen suddenly after a cold spell, but the past few days have had the extra difficulty of bad hay fever and then getting a cold in addition, just to add to the general discomfort.
                          Bad luck Odders - I too suffer with high pollen counts: not to the same degree, but always with uncontrolled sneezing, and a horrible feeling in the throat as if I've tried to swallow nettles. It actually wasn't that bad here today - we just managed to hit 28C - 83F in the old money, and I've kept the flat reasonably cool without resorting to closed curtains. Tomorrow temperatures start to head back down to values nearer to normal for the time of year; sadly this would appear to presage a return to changeable rather cool and showery conditions next week.

Comment

• oddoneout
                            • Nov 2015

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post

Bad luck Odders - I too suffer with high pollen counts: not to the same degree, but always with uncontrolled sneezing, and a horrible feeling in the throat as if I've tried to swallow nettles. It actually wasn't that bad here today - we just managed to hit 28C - 83F in the old money, and I've kept the flat reasonably cool without resorting to closed curtains. Tomorrow temperatures start to head back down to values nearer to normal for the time of year; sadly this would appear to presage a return to changeable rather cool and showery conditions next week.
                            I have a rather challenging concert on Saturday so the suggestion of cooler temperatures is welcome. Whether the throat/voice will be in a fit state is another question...

Comment

• DracoM
                              Host
                              • Mar 2007

After 3 days of equatorial - almost suffocating - humidity, this a.m. up here genuinely feels like mid-October with a sharpish westerly and rain!

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                                • Dec 2010

Back to something fresher but still on the warm side. Stopped and chatted with a friendly lady, who told me she was a teachers' assistant at the adjacent school. I suggested she was in a dying breed, and she replied, "I know!"

Comment

Working...
                                X