• Old Grumpy
    • Jan 2011

Flamin' June!

All this discussion brings this to mind:

Comment

• Petrushka
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post

An idea being informally put forward by persons with experience in the meteorological profession is that with global warming the traditionally 3-monthy divided seasons have been put off by one month. Hence spring is now comprised of April, May and June, summer of July, August and September, autumn being October, November and December, and winter consisting of January, February and March. Thinking of December, it certainly seems that way - temperatures typical of autumn (not that different from today's come to think of it!), leaves still on the trees right to the end of the month, when they would have been down by the close of November in earlier times.
      This is actually something that I've been saying for several years.

Absolutely vile day here. Heavy rain and strong wind. The trees, in full leaf, are bobbing and weaving to an alarming degree. Temperature is 13 feels like 11. Without knowing I would have guessed it was a day in late February or early March.

If it's like this here, I dread to think what it's like in Draco M's part of the world.
      "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• AuntDaisy
        Host
        • Jun 2018

Originally posted by Old Grumpy View Post
        Flamin' June!
        All this discussion brings this to mind:

June just rains and never stops.

My poor tomato plants - they're growing, but very slowly.

Comment

• DracoM
          Host
          • Mar 2007

What an utterly miserable, depressing 'summer' [Ha!] it's been.
          Relentless rain, low temps, and, up here, nasty whippy cold NW winds.

Comment

• Pulcinella
            Host
            • Feb 2014

Quick boost of central heating here (partly to dry/air the towels on their radiator): it's colder indoors than we keep the house in winter!

Comment

• Sir Velo
              • Oct 2012

Fear not: I hear rumours of 22C and partly cloudy on Friday fortnight.

Comment

• DracoM
                Host
                • Mar 2007

'Rumours'? Ye--e-e-s.......well..........

Comment

• oddoneout
                  • Nov 2015

Originally posted by Sir Velo View Post
                  Fear not: I hear rumours of 22C and partly cloudy on Friday fortnight.
                  There's meteorology - and then there's wishful thinking!
                  It's due to get warmer and possibly drier for this weekend which I'll settle for, particularly the night temperatures being more late-spring-like rather than late winter, so that my tender crops stand some chance of growing rather than giving up.

Comment

• gurnemanz
                    • Nov 2010

Our two most recent summer theatre visits in the last week or so turned out to be quite appropriate after all - The Winter's Tale ballet at ROH and Winterreise with Ian Bostridge at the Ustinov, Bath.

Comment

• Pulcinella
                      Host
                      • Feb 2014

Absolute torrents here right now: glad I didn't go out on my bike. Looks like it might clear in time for community coffee morning at the local library, where I'm heading to put up a poster for our forthcoming concert.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post
                        Absolute torrents here right now: glad I didn't go out on my bike. Looks like it might clear in time for community coffee morning at the local library, where I'm heading to put up a poster for our forthcoming concert.
                        I'm due to cycle to E Dulwich St Sprees this afternoon for my main weekly shop - a 3-mile journey each way - so I'm hoping for timely gaps between the showers which are just getting going as I write. It's a bit blowy but at least the temperature is what we would once have called normal June levels for an indifferent summer in my youth!

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                          • Dec 2010

Today has been quite pleasantly warm and was conveniently windless for my afternoon cycle round trip to my "nearest" bank branch, in Streatham, this afternoon. Now it is clouding up and looking quite threatening. All depends on whether or not the convection triggering thunder up country reaches the SE in time before evening cools taking the energy out of the atmosphere. Apart from the possibility of Continental rain skirting the SE on Thursday or Friday everything looks good for a warm weekend, down here, for a change!

Comment

• Petrushka
                            • Nov 2010

I was In London on Saturday the 15th and got caught in the most vicious combination of wind, rain, thunder and lightning I think I've ever encountered. The result has been a very, very unpleasant cough and cold.
                            "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• DracoM
                              Host
                              • Mar 2007

Sympathies from here.
                              I am having to wear the same clothes indoors and out as I did in January - no, REALLY.
                              BUT WEEDS in the garden are blooming with glee and have plenty of company.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                                • Dec 2010

Originally posted by DracoM View Post
                                Sympathies from here.
                                I am having to wear the same clothes indoors and out as I did in January - no, REALLY.
                                BUT WEEDS in the garden are blooming with glee and have plenty of company.
                                Nights have been cold - have needed to resort to a hot water bottle and extra blanket at night, for the first time I can remember in June.

Comment

Working...
                                X