X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DracoM
    Host
    • Mar 2007

Yup, cold, NE wind driven wet filth here too. 4C as I post. Rain only on north-facing windows!

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
      • Dec 2010

Well the reinstated Yellow Warning of 50-60 mph gusts for the London area between 2 and 6pm has only an hour and a half to run its course. Winds have hardly exceeded Force 5. I have just returned from the chemist's - it was wet and getting dark a bit earlier than usual, but not nearly as bad as predicted. The centre of this morning's Storm Ciaran passed right across London at 7 o'clock, registering 954 mb at its lowest point, the lowest on record for London, I believe. We have been fortunate that the centre did not pass further to the north than it did, or we would now be talking about serious damage and disruption across London and other inland places.

What hit the Channel Isles - the storms I noted last thing last night - was indeed terrible, and more akin to a hurricane than usually experienced in the vicinity, least of all in the usually benign month of November. Two-inch diameter hailstones and possibly a Type 4 tornado. The next, thus far unnamed low, due to bring further copious amounts of rain on Saturday, will be nearly as deep but less intense. Even so, I'm glad I will not need to be visiting any shops before next week.

Comment

• Old Grumpy
        • Jan 2011

I see Plymouth is in the news with the lowest recorded pressure:

The Met Office has confirmed Storm Ciaran has set a new record for the lowest mean sea level pressure recorded in England and Wales in November, with a value of 953.3 hPa (mb) in Plymouth.

My (non-scientific, banjo) barometer goes down to 28 inches Hg, so would have just about coped. Met office has current pressure here as 965 millibars.

Comment

• oddoneout
          • Nov 2015

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
          View along one of my favourite cycling destinations a couple of days ago. That's not me, by the way - I don't have wet gear in blue!

To be fair parts of Chiswick can flood even without the likes of Storm Ciaran, thanks to the tidal Thames.
          It is disconcerting hearing about the bad weather elsewhere as it has been windy and occasionally wet here but there have been glimpses of the sun and it has been pretty mild. I just worry that we will get something nasty happening having been lulled into a false sense of the worst having passed us by. I do wonder if we will have our MD at choir tonight as he has a lengthy journey to reach us(and return) through areas prone to flooding and weather related road accidents.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
            • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Old Grumpy View Post
            I see Plymouth is in the news with the lowest recorded pressure:

The Met Office has confirmed Storm Ciaran has set a new record for the lowest mean sea level pressure recorded in England and Wales in November, with a value of 953.3 hPa (mb) in Plymouth.

My (non-scientific, banjo) barometer goes down to 28 inches Hg, so would have just about coped. Met office has current pressure here as 965 millibars.
            My barometer did not cope at all! The lowest reading it gave was 961 millibars just at the actual lowest point. But it is, after all, a nearly 200 years old ship barometer, small, metal, and cylindrical, with a small brass adjusting knob in the centre of the glass front. That glass got broken when moving here, and I thought that was it, but it has still continued to work pretty accurately in more "normal" conditions, with few needs for adjustment.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
              • Dec 2010

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post

To be fair parts of Chiswick can flood even without the likes of Storm Ciaran, thanks to the tidal Thames.
              It is disconcerting hearing about the bad weather elsewhere as it has been windy and occasionally wet here but there have been glimpses of the sun and it has been pretty mild. I just worry that we will get something nasty happening having been lulled into a false sense of the worst having passed us by. I do wonder if we will have our MD at choir tonight as he has a lengthy journey to reach us(and return) through areas prone to flooding and weather related road accidents.
              I think you should be all right for this evening, the worst winds and rain having passed into the North Sea.

Comment

• oddoneout
                • Nov 2015

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post

My barometer did not cope at all! The lowest reading it gave was 961 millibars just at the actual lowest point. But it is, after all, a nearly 200 years old ship barometer, small, metal, and cylindrical, with a small brass adjusting knob in the centre of the glass front. That glass got broken when moving here, and I thought that was it, but it has still continued to work pretty accurately in more "normal" conditions, with few needs for adjustment.
                Recording station had 957 at 11 am this morning but pressure started to rise shorty after.

Comment

• Joseph K
                  Banned
                  • Oct 2017

Well, I managed to walk into Redditch town centre, catch the train into Birmingham then walk to Birmingham Conservatoire, then do all that in reverse so that I am back home now, all without getting wet at all (except being a bit sweaty now!) It's not even that windy.

The storm didn't amount to that much here - the one the other week was wetter...

Comment

• oddoneout
                    • Nov 2015

And there it was, gone! Very wet and windy for walking down to rehearsal last night but the rain had eased off for the return and it was dry overnight. The continued wind did a good job of starting to dry things up, and the sun will help today as well. I'll need windproof rather than thick clothes when I'm out later as the wind is SW but strong so is knocking the temperature back, but when the sun gets out it will quickly get warmer.

Comment

• kernelbogey
                      • Nov 2010

Here in south east Hants I would not have known there was a storm at all but for the Met Office warning - and a couple of claps of thunder early Thursday morning. It's rained a lot, but the rain has been more torrential at other times, and the winds never got up much. That which was predicted for the south-east coast here seems to have drifted more over to France and Benelux, it seems.

Comment

• DracoM
                        Host
                        • Mar 2007

But, THIS a.m., cloudless + good sun! Ahem...........

Comment

• PatrickMurtha
                          • Nov 2023

Here in Tlaxcala, Mexico, daytime temperatures never go below 10 or above 30. Always 20-25 at mid-day. In the middle of the coldest winter nights, maybe down to 2 or 3. My house doesn’t have heating or air conditioning; don’t need ‘em. I can adjust the indoor temperature by opening or closing windows.

This is not an industrial town, so the air quality is good. Light mountain breezes. We’re at 2,250 m altitude, so mosquitoes can’t survive here, and indeed there are few bugs overall. We have a rainy season (May to October), but it is manageable; the rain comes invariably in the late afternoon / early evening. Basically, the average day here would be one of the 10 best weather days in the year almost anywhere else.

I write all this to make everyone envious.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                            • Dec 2010

Originally posted by kernelbogey View Post
                            Here in south east Hants I would not have known there was a storm at all but for the Met Office warning - and a couple of claps of thunder early Thursday morning. It's rained a lot, but the rain has been more torrential at other times, and the winds never got up much. That which was predicted for the south-east coast here seems to have drifted more over to France and Benelux, it seems.
                            The Channel Isles and west coast of France were expected to get it worse in spite of wind speeds being similar to those forecast for our south coast, given that for them it would mean hurricane-force winds slamming into coastlines at 90 degrees whereas here the winds blew more-or-less parallel to the coast line, hence the lesser impact short distances inland with physical obstructions being the mitigating factor.

Quite a pleasant day here today - some puffy cumulus possibly destined to grow into showers, but the temperature a reasonable 12 C, just 1 C below early November average. Tomorrow morning is expected to be very wet and quite windy at first - with the rain band (an accluded front) spreading northwards to reach Scotland by evening, followed by frequent showers, possibly thundery, spreading north from the south coast. Next week the jet stream now to our south and taking secondaries across the Continent shifts north, taking tracking depression centres away from the UK, but the Azores high shows no signs of following suit to give us some respite.

Comment

• Pulcinella
                              Host
                              • Feb 2014

Originally posted by PatrickMurtha View Post
                              Here in Tlaxcala, Mexico, daytime temperatures never go below 10 or above 30. Always 20-25 at mid-day. In the middle of the coldest winter nights, maybe down to 2 or 3. My house doesn’t have heating or air conditioning; don’t need ‘em. I can adjust the indoor temperature by opening or closing windows.

This is not an industrial town, so the air quality is good. Light mountain breezes. We’re at 2,250 m altitude, so mosquitoes can’t survive here, and indeed there are few bugs overall. We have a rainy season (May to October), but it is manageable; the rain comes invariably in the late afternoon / early evening. Basically, the average day here would be one of the 10 best weather days in the year almost anywhere else.

I write all this to make everyone envious.
                              It worked.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                                • Dec 2010

I was right in my earlier assessment about shower likelihood - it has just now bucketed down here!

Comment

Working...
                                X