Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • vinteuil
    • Nov 2010

... Ciaran seen as a «bombe météorologique» in France (Brittany and the Cotentin peninsula), with a drop of 24 hectopascals in 24 hours. Sounds frightening!

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
      ... Ciaran seen as a «bombe météorologique» in France (Brittany and the Cotentin peninsula), with a drop of 24 hectopascals in 24 hours. Sounds frightening!

Indeed! Wednesday's low could bring the lowest barometric readings on record for southern Britain. My barometer could have a nervous breakdown! Whether or not it is as bad as is predicted for most of the south coast, while those directly under the low's centre escape the worst with comparatively light winds, all depends on its precise trajectory. A hundred kilometres further north, and places such as Swansea, Cardiff, Bristol, Reading and London would be included in the zone of exceptionally high winds.

Comment

• DracoM
        Host
        • Mar 2007

5C here and temp dropping.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
          • Dec 2010

Showers today, and tonight the first stage of Storm Ciaran strikes, with increasing winds and heavy rain along the bent-back frontal system. The low is still forecast to track as predicted, so most will get strong to gale force around the edges apart from the Channel Isles, S Wales, the south coast and southern Essex coast, where Amber warnings have been placed. Will Southend Pier survive - a big question!

Comment

• DracoM
            Host
            • Mar 2007

Exactly the conditions here NOW!
            Sea birds here MILES inland hours ago warning us of what was to come!

Comment

• oddoneout
              • Nov 2015

The weather forecast for today was a concern for Wednesday's volunteer gardening, but it worked out quite well in the end. The northern leg of a band of rain moving across the area made it wet to begin with but quickly cleared to drizzle and then dry as a gap in the band went across, so we were able to do our usual time. It was also noticeably mild. At about 2 pm a second band of heavy rain went across, but again cleared fairly quickly.
              The wind is now winding itself up, and with heavy rain expected it will be a wild night, and continuing through most of Thursday it looks like. A rethink of plans for the day is in order...

Comment

• DracoM
                Host
                • Mar 2007

Bitingly cold here, wet and cheerless.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                  • Dec 2010

I see a line of vigorous thunderstorms currently nudging into Dorset from the SSW - most obvious explanation being they're forming along the cold front, ahead of which, here it's just light to moderate rain, but with increasing wind. Earlier on a reporter was reporting from Plymouth, where the storm seemed well underway. I need to get up to the pharmacy tomorrow to re-order my prescription, and am not looking forward to that. I could ring, but I don't feel comfortable with taking them away from their busy work with dispensing and serving the ever-present queue.

Comment

• Bryn
                    Banned
                    • Mar 2007

Feels rather strange here in Braccan Heal. Not the slightest sign of breeze, let alone high winds. The trees aren't even moving, let alone falling.

Comment

• oddoneout
                      • Nov 2015

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                      Feels rather strange here in Braccan Heal. Not the slightest sign of breeze, let alone high winds. The trees aren't even moving, let alone falling.
                      Calm before the storm? The figures suggest that it was fairly windy here overnight, but there was much less rain than had been forecast. Today will be unpleasant, but the bulk of the wet and windy looks as if it has shifted timewise to later in the day and through the evening and night.

Comment

• vinteuil
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                        ... likewise in west London. However - the paper in the barograph here covers a range from 950millibars to 1050millibars : for the first time ever the needle has dropped below the scale...​
                        Last edited by vinteuil; 02-11-23, 10:08.

Comment

• kernelbogey
                          • Nov 2010

Nothing like the forecast winds and rain here; looking at the radar maps I appear to be in the eye of the storm, and a relatively calm spot (south east Hampshire). But it looks as though it will get worse later on so I have cancelled an appointment that would have involved a thirty minute drive each way. Local schools are closed.

Comment

• cloughie
                            • Dec 2011

Blew through here in the early hours and beginning to be calmer now though the legacy of fallen trees and semi-flooded roads has meant that getting out of the village was difficult for a while.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                              • Dec 2010

View along one of my favourite cycling destinations a couple of days ago. That's not me, by the way - I don't have wet gear in blue!

Comment

• JasonPalmer
                                • Dec 2022

Huge puddles, drains overflowing and local facebook group says a pumping station stopped working.
                                Annoyingly listening to and commenting on radio 3...

Comment

Working...
                                X