Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Serial_Apologist
    • Dec 2010

The cold front passed through here at around 7pm - rather a disappointment in terms of dramatic weather, though I see it did turn thundery as it moved across Kent and Essex. Here the temperature dropped 5 degrees, from 15C to 10C in half an hour.

Comment

• gurnemanz
      • Nov 2010

100m of rain in the last 24 hrs hereabouts (N Wilts) - good month's worth
      ​​​​​​

Comment

• Sir Velo
        • Oct 2012

Originally posted by gurnemanz View Post
        100m of rain in the last 24 hrs hereabouts (N Wilts) - good month's worth
        ​​​​​​
        "100m"? A lifetime's worthl!

Comment

• oddoneout
          • Nov 2015

Payback time for recent T-shirts and shorts days. It could be worse though, at least it's dry and sunny, which will help the temperature get into double digits before too long, with any luck, and offset a lively NW airflow.

Comment

• gurnemanz
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Sir Velo View Post

"100m"? A lifetime's worthl!
            whoops ...It was late.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
              • Dec 2010

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post
              Payback time for recent T-shirts and shorts days. It could be worse though, at least it's dry and sunny, which will help the temperature get into double digits before too long, with any luck, and offset a lively NW airflow.
              Actually the temperature plunge is in many ways a relief, as upstairs remarked as I came back from my morning shop rubbing my hands together - time for nature to begin winding down for its well-deserved winter rest, and for us to adjust. Some disagreement exists between the two main players on the forecasting scene, one predicting that the high will remain in charge to the north, giving a broad dry sweep of easterlies to all areas for the entire week, the other positioning the high over Scandinavia, and parking a large deep low to the SW, bringing strong winds from a more south-easterly direction, and rain-bearing fronts in from the SW, by the second half of the week. Temperatures should return to where they should be for mid-October.

Comment

• Cockney Sparrow
                • Jan 2014

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                Actually the temperature plunge.....Some disagreement exists between the two main players on the forecasting scene........
                I'd be interested to know who they are. I like to keep an eye on the weather and use the met office app, and for longer range guidance their site from a web page. I also use the 3 hour rain radar page on the meteoradar.co.uk site - very handy when I had an allotment . I use no other pages there.

I'll never have your depth of interest and knowledge, but I do like to have an idea of what is coming my way.....

Comment

• DracoM
                  Host
                  • Mar 2007

Un-forecast HARD frost overnight. Now cloudless.
                  Un-protected plants bashed up a bit. Huh!

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Cockney Sparrow View Post

I'd be interested to know who they are. I like to keep an eye on the weather and use the met office app, and for longer range guidance their site from a web page. I also use the 3 hour rain radar page on the meteoradar.co.uk site - very handy when I had an allotment . I use no other pages there.

I'll never have your depth of interest and knowledge, but I do like to have an idea of what is coming my way.....
                    The BBC transferred over from the Met Office to MetoGroup some time ago for reasons not understood by commentators.

Of the other organisations used by contributers to the UKweather site - probably the best for ranges of opinion from serving and retired meteorologists and amateurs:

ECM: the European Centre for Medium Range Weather
                    GFS: the Globe Forum System

The latter two provide complex pattern analyses and maps of particular interest to UKWW posters. My theoretical understanding is about as limited as for that of music - rather like reading a script in a foreign language related to ones one has studied, such as Portuguese or Italian, I can get the general gist of reports sufficiently to know what they are writing about - or at least, I make that assumption!

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                      • Dec 2010

Temperatures on my north wall fell to 3C last night, and have probably now peaked at 8.5C, which is 6.5C below the average daytime temp for mid-October. That represents a drop from early July values to those of the end of November in just three days - probably not unprecedented, but more usual for April than in the autumn, when temperatures have in the past generally been on a slow slide from the end of September onwards. Fortunately I have enough residual warmth in the flat to not necessitate turning on the heating. It should start warming up again from Tuesday onwards, but from Wednesday we could all be in for a quite prolonged period of windy and very wet weather.

Comment

• DracoM
                        Host
                        • Mar 2007

Station used by a lot of farmers round here is: Yr.no - Hourly weather forecast

Comment

• Pulcinella
                          Host
                          • Feb 2014

Originally posted by DracoM View Post
                          Station used by a lot of farmers round here is: Yr.no - Hourly weather forecast
                          But is that the one that let you down yesterday, with no frost warning?

Comment

• Sir Velo
                            • Oct 2012

Originally posted by DracoM View Post
                            Un-forecast HARD frost overnight. Now cloudless.
                            Un-protected plants bashed up a bit. Huh!
                            Ah but which forecast? :

Sunny but cold day here yesterday on Sth Wilts/Dorset borders. Full winter get up for pm bike ride, including balaclava (under helmet for those who might have visions of nefarious bankrobbing appearance). A startling difference from the previous Sunday when we were basking in 22 degree warmth at the delightful Exbury Gardens on the banks of the Beaulieu River.

Comment

• oddoneout
                              • Nov 2015

Rather pleasant today. With rather a brisk easterly wind I was expecting it to be chilly, but in fact with the sun out it was OK. I had to go into the city for an appointment and was able to eat my picnic lunch outside, and the bus trip in was warm enough to warrant shedding my jacket for the duration of the journey. Early evening the payback started - even stronger wind and heavy rain - but it looks as if it should clear during the night.

Comment

• Frances_iom
                                • Mar 2007

no boat last night (thus no deliveries for supermarkets) nor daytime sailing (our new boat seems fearful in going out if wind is above force 5) - however the night boat (still the old but reliable boat) is running so wind speed is expected to be less - certainly not as breezy now but rain has started and forecast to be heavy.

Comment

Working...
                                X