X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Serial_Apologist
    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post
    State of emergency declared in parts of New York City.
    I wonder when the climate change deniers that seem to abound over there (more so than here, I think) will admit that they're wrong.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...g-weather-live
    The god so many of them believe in is teaching them a lesson!

Comment

• Bryn
      Banned
      • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post

The god so many of them believe in is teaching them a lesson!
      I don't that think many believe in Gaia.

Comment

• Joseph K
        Banned
        • Oct 2017

Another unusually warm day. If the sun were out it would feel like summer...

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
          • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Joseph K View Post
          Very humid with it. No wonder I feel sapped after my cycle trip of only about 10 miles this afternoon. I put some washing on the line early this morning and it was still sopping when collected just now.

There are indications it could turn thundery in the Home Counties tomorrow as the cold front presently over the NW wiggles its way reluctantly SE, then stalls. This system then gets blown east by a briefly re-invigorated jet stream on Tuesday and Wednesday before high pressure is predicted to ridge up from the south once more, giving most of us a return to balmy autumn warmth for the rest of the week.

Comment

• oddoneout
            • Nov 2015

Originally posted by Joseph K View Post
            I'm rather glad it didn't do more than briefly show its face around lunchtime - it was quite warm enough, as so humid, for gardening to be harder work than I would have liked.

Comment

• DracoM
              Host
              • Mar 2007

Sun???????????????
              Huh!

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                • Dec 2010

Today's heavy underlay of clag obscuring what's more importantly going on weatherwise has finally resolved my decision to postpone the two-mile ride down to Penge St Sprees with the appearance of lightning strikes in a line stretching from the Solent to Amersham, and the arrival of large spots of rain in the past few minutes. In more usual British circumstances thick stratus at lower levels (it was foggy earlier) denotes conditions inimical to convection, which needs such cloud to break up to allow the sun to get to work at ground level, but on this occasion (once more) the thunderstorm-triggering convection is happening at higher levels independent of ground heating, and I imagine there must be some impressive altocumulus castellanus obscured from view encroaching from the south west.

The temperature is a close 21C, with hardly a leaf stirring. Showers are forecast for tomorrow too, but skies will be easier to read before taking a plunge, and it will be cooler, too.

Comment

• oddoneout
                  • Nov 2015

The forecasts today have been varied and largely wrong for my location. The movement of the rain bearing cloud has evidently been difficult to sort out in terms of timing, location and propensity to dump. Can't say I'm sorry that the morning forecast of rain was wrong as the bus to the shops was 30 mins late... Currently it's supposed to be chucking down, but I think that's more likely later on so I'll go and rake up the grass clippings before it arrives. A grey day but warm.
                  Tomorrow has also changed significantly a couple of times, so I don't know if I'll get drenched going to meet my friend for coffee in the morning or not.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post
                    The forecasts today have been varied and largely wrong for my location. The movement of the rain bearing cloud has evidently been difficult to sort out in terms of timing, location and propensity to dump. Can't say I'm sorry that the morning forecast of rain was wrong as the bus to the shops was 30 mins late... Currently it's supposed to be chucking down, but I think that's more likely later on so I'll go and rake up the grass clippings before it arrives. A grey day but warm.
                    Tomorrow has also changed significantly a couple of times, so I don't know if I'll get drenched going to meet my friend for coffee in the morning or not.
                    I think that's right. I was correct in my earlier assessment - clearance of the low stratus clag coming in from the SE revealed elevated convection, releasing a short shower of extraordinary intensity half an hour ago, and now a line of proper thunderstorms advancing from the SW, with some of the most dramatic cloud formations I've seen in a long while. The cells are forming into elongated clumps along two parallel mid-level jets: one heading up from the SW into the Midlands, the other originating around Hampshire moving across London and on into Hertfordshire, Essex and probably Cambridge and Norfolk. That second one is quite possibly the cold front "proper". Here comes the next one!

Comment

• Joseph K
                      Banned
                      • Oct 2017

Today for my walk this morning I decided to wear shorts instead of trousers, and I was glad I did. Started raining on and off at around 2 and we had some impressive thunder from around 4 o'clock.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                        • Dec 2010

Very vigorous thundery activity underway between Swaffham and Sheringham in Norfolk right now - down here a few remaining pockets around Windsor and Maidenhead indicating a slight chance of it kicking off later more widely tonight.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                          • Dec 2010

Beautiful shot of the very long and dramatic shelf cloud accompanying yesterday's elevated thundery trough sent in on UKWW:

Temperatures back to where they "should" be today, maxing around 17C - quite a shock to the system on going out earlier!

You have to scroll down to JonathanW's post to see this and another shot - apologies for not realising that - just click on the image for its enlargement.

Comment

• Joseph K
                            Banned
                            • Oct 2017

Yes went out for two walks today, before and after lunch, and discovered the wind made things palpably parkier than previous days. The sun's been out at least. Good day for hanging washing out.

Comment

• Joseph K
                              Banned
                              • Oct 2017

Warm and sunny. Very pleasant.

Comment

• johncorrigan
                                • Nov 2010

Tipping it down all day and pretty chilly too. Ideal day for decorating.

Comment

Working...
                                X