• Joseph K
    Banned
    • Oct 2017

Looks like today is rained off...

Comment

• DracoM
      Host
      • Mar 2007

Up here in NW, it's whacking it down and visibility limited by thickening cloud. Nasty westerly in charge here!
      Ground floor street-side flooded! Never had that in 20 yrs!
      Last edited by DracoM; 20-09-23, 11:57.

Comment

• Joseph K
        Banned
        • Oct 2017

Originally posted by Joseph K View Post
        Looks like today is rained off...
        Well, not quite. Managed to get out for a half hour walk, during which time there wasn't much rain - plenty of wind though. Could've walked for longer but wasn't sure I wouldn't have experienced a deluge...

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
          • Dec 2010

Well, not quite. Managed to get out for a half hour walk, during which time there wasn't much rain - plenty of wind though. Could've walked for longer but wasn't sure I wouldn't have experienced a deluge...
          The first spits and spots have just arrived here, duly on time. Looks like my shopping trip will have to be delayed until tomorrow.

Comment

• DracoM
            Host
            • Mar 2007

As forecast, awfulness departed SE in time to allow me to do an afternoon walk - and kept DRY!

Comment

• gurnemanz
              • Nov 2010

.gov rainfall gauge for N Wilts shows 51.3mm (2 inch) for the last 24 hrs. Wet n windy. Oldie tennis cancelled so we went to pub instead.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                • Dec 2010

Originally posted by gurnemanz View Post
                .gov rainfall gauge for N Wilts shows 51.3mm (2 inch) for the last 24 hrs. Wet n windy. Oldie tennis cancelled so we went to pub instead.
                A large proportion of today's heavy rainfall will have been experienced during the passage of the line convection which passed through London between 22.05 and 22.15 hrs this evening - a very sudden and most impressive downpour, accompanied, I estimated, by winds gusts of over 50 mph, and a huge roaring sound like a waterfall. The wind changed instantly from southerly to a light west-southwesterly, and the temperature fell from 17C to 13C in the same period of time. On the map this line squall, the actual cold front edge, appeared as if somebody had scored a straight line from north to south right through the 100-mile wide precipitation belt, which one could easily mistake for some kind of computer glitch. The rain petered out quite rapidly after this event and has now almost stopped.

Comment

• DracoM
                  Host
                  • Mar 2007

Hefty showers in chilly breeze,

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by DracoM View Post
                    Hefty showers in chilly breeze,
                    Certainly the cumulus are growing fast and very large in today's unstable air - I will probably get caught in one during my shopping expedition this afternoon.
                    Last edited by Serial_Apologist; 21-09-23, 12:56.

Comment

• Joseph K
                      Banned
                      • Oct 2017

Lovely morning here, sunny, still and mild. Rain this afternoon forecast though.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                        • Dec 2010

Lovely morning here, sunny, still and mild. Rain this afternoon forecast though.
                        I was right! Darkened skies as I left the mini Tesco on Anerley Hill quickly followed by 15 minutes of rain of biblical proportions, preceded by a single blinding flash of lightning, although the thunder was rendered inaudible by the racket of rain on the bus shelter where I was sitting this out, and passing traffic swishing its way up the steep incline - each time a bus stopped by great tsunamis of water washed up onto the pavement, the road having turned into rapids. It would have probably all ended up flooding the bottom of the hill: nearby drains were being totally overwhelmed by the volumes of cascading water. A vivid low rainbow then appeared, dramatically set against the retreating storm cloud to the delight of a large group of schoolgirls nearby.

Comment

• Joseph K
                          Banned
                          • Oct 2017

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post

I was right! Darkened skies as I left the mini Tesco on Anerley Hill quickly followed by 15 minutes of rain of biblical proportions, preceded by a single blinding flash of lightning, although the thunder was rendered inaudible by the racket of rain on the bus shelter where I was sitting this out, and passing traffic swishing its way up the steep incline - each time a bus stopped by great tsunamis of water washed up onto the pavement, the road having turned into rapids. It would have probably all ended up flooding the bottom of the hill: nearby drains were being totally overwhelmed by the volumes of cascading water. A vivid low rainbow then appeared, dramatically set against the retreating storm cloud to the delight of a large group of schoolgirls nearby.
                          Sounds dramatic! Quite the contrast here - no rain materialised at all.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                            • Dec 2010

Sounds dramatic! Quite the contrast here - no rain materialised at all.
                            Some magnificent cumulonimbus skies for much of the afternoon and at sunset - hopefully somebody will have captured something of these and posted on UKWW tomorrow.

Comment

• Pulcinella
                              Host
                              • Feb 2014

Sudden squally winds and torrential downpour here, not forecast on the Norwegian yr weather site.

Comment

• DracoM
                                Host
                                • Mar 2007

Mizzle, drizzle, cold westerly, sheer yuk.

Comment

Working...
                                X