• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Joseph K
    Banned
    • Oct 2017

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
    it still feels hideously humid, however.

Comment

• oddoneout
      • Nov 2015

The Met Office report for here seems to have lost about 10 hours of records, but my shade thermometer peaked at 31.9, and the car showed 35 when I finished work at 3pm - I waited a while with all the doors open before setting off! The car has Aircon but I've never had it serviced in the 8 years I've owned the car so don't use it - not worth it for my short journey home in any case. Unpleasant conditions as it was humid as well as hot, and tonight will be warm and sticky. This morning there had been warnings of thunderstorms but the belt passed to the north west and missed here, and most of the county I think.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post
        The Met Office report for here seems to have lost about 10 hours of records, but my shade thermometer peaked at 31.9, and the car showed 35 when I finished work at 3pm - I waited a while with all the doors open before setting off! The car has Aircon but I've never had it serviced in the 8 years I've owned the car so don't use it - not worth it for my short journey home in any case. Unpleasant conditions as it was humid as well as hot, and tonight will be warm and sticky. This morning there had been warnings of thunderstorms but the belt passed to the north west and missed here, and most of the county I think.
        That storm system developed into a mesoscale cyclone according to some experts on a weather site I peruse continually in this kind of weather situation. Which would account for it maintaining its structure and intensity: most thunderstorms release all their electrical energy within half an hour - those that last longer are usually actually new storms building behind old decayed ones. I'll see if I can transcribe the URL, as some of the posters have sent in extraordinary testimony of that storm, which actually formed over Cambs before moving up towards S Lincs and out into The Wash.

Comment

• oddoneout
          • Nov 2015

That storm system developed into a mesoscale cyclone according to some experts on a weather site I peruse continually in this kind of weather situation. Which would account for it maintaining its structure and intensity: most thunderstorms release all their electrical energy within half an hour - those that last longer are usually actually new storms building behind old decayed ones. I'll see if I can transcribe the URL, as some of the posters have sent in extraordinary testimony of that storm, which actually formed over Cambs before moving up towards S Lincs and out into The Wash.
          I should have said moved North east but I'm sure you realised that. Brain has been addled by heat and a rapidly developing cold.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
            • Dec 2010

Scroll down the page in the link below to two remarkable posts from John Mason and Spoonybum. John's shows a torrential rain curtain emerging from behind a wall cloud shaped into a collar. Spoonybum's short clip shows a rare sight more commonly associated with the most severe storms in hotter countries: a roll cloud (of tatty appearance) has formed along the forward edge of the storm's powerful rain core - where all the accumulated precipitaion held in the cloud by updraughts is released in one massive surge, the most dangerous part of a severe thunderstorm. This type of cloud forms what is known as a gust front from down draughts from the parent cloud above and behind, as powerful descending winds propelled by torrential rain upwind advance ahead of the main event. You want to get somewhere safe if you see one of those coming, as they can produce hurrican-force gusts, and it is at this point that lightning is often most concentrated and likeliest to discharge to earth.

Comment

• Old Grumpy
              • Jan 2011

Ahhh, lovely cool breezy morning here. Nice to be able to get some fresh air both outside and inside the house.

Comment

• Joseph K
                Banned
                • Oct 2017

Two-hour walk curtailed by unexpected rain...

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                  • Dec 2010

As anticipated, a great deal cooler than yesterday, but still well above average temps for mid-September.

Comment

• Joseph K
                    Banned
                    • Oct 2017

Cooler still, but somehow still muggy... and wet.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Joseph K View Post
                      Cooler still, but somehow still muggy... and wet.
                      Rain, if any, still to arrive here - a total sky covering of cumulus and stratocumulus offering no clues of storms predicted just now for later this afternoon.

Comment

• Joseph K
                        Banned
                        • Oct 2017

A lovely day of weather here. Cooler, yes, but perfect for a two-hour walk - about 17C and sunny.

Comment

• oddoneout
                          • Nov 2015

Rain finally arrived overnight on Tuesday - quite a lot but mostly straight down and not heavy so plenty soaked into where it was needed. Wednesday was noticeably cooler(mostly due to wind direction) but pleasant when the sun showed its face.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                            • Dec 2010

Brilliantly sunny here today, visibility as clear as could be - I was astonished to see a report coming from Birmingham earlier on where the streets were wet and it was raining!

The forecast is for very warm air to return from the Continent on Friday, gradually turning thundery over the weekend. At the moment it looks like a classic Spanish Plume scenario developing, which can often bring about intense thunderstorms.

Comment

• Joseph K
                              Banned
                              • Oct 2017

Brilliantly sunny here today, visibility as clear as could be - I was astonished to see a report coming from Birmingham earlier on where the streets were wet and it was raining!
                              Yes indeed it's like that here - but why astonished?

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                                • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Joseph K View Post

Yes indeed it's like that here - but why astonished?
                                Because while Brum is less than 100 miles from London, from this vantage point the associated frontal cloud is only visible way down on the NW horizon here instead of being much closer to hand, as might be expected.

Comment

Working...
                                X