X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Joseph K
    Banned
    • Oct 2017

Set out earlier (08:30-09:30) than usual this morning for a walk, thinking I'd beat the rain. But since then we've only had a bit of drizzle...

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Joseph K View Post
      Set out earlier (08:30-09:30) than usual this morning for a walk, thinking I'd beat the rain. But since then we've only had a bit of drizzle...
      Hopefully () rainfall will be a great deal less than I had been predicting yesterday, the main energy now undergoing transfer onto an evolving wave on the trailing post-low cold front expected to cross the south of the country tonight. You might just be on the northern side of the precipitation zone where you are - after which (fingers crossed) all looks promising for a warm weekend and first half of next week.

Comment

• oddoneout
        • Nov 2015

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post

Hopefully () rainfall will be a great deal less than I had been predicting yesterday, the main energy now undergoing transfer onto an evolving wave on the trailing post-low cold front expected to cross the south of the country tonight. You might just be on the northern side of the precipitation zone where you are - after which (fingers crossed) all looks promising for a warm weekend and first half of next week.
        I hope so. It was cool yesterday, and very cold(down to single figures) overnight, which is not helpful for the tomatoes and cucumbers in the veg patch.

Comment

• Joseph K
          Banned
          • Oct 2017

A misty & still start to the day here (yes, seasons of mists and all that) and now the sun is out and it's about 20 - nice.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
            • Dec 2010

The half-expected rain did arrive here, but not until mid-morning, when we had a couple of hours of moderate to heavy rain. This has now transferred east; a yellow warning for thunderstorms in the eastern part of Kent issued at midday has in fact materialised during the past hour, with an intense storm, judging by lightning frequency, initiating along a SE section of the M25. This has now moved north to affect the Medway area. What convection has developed here, further west, has not (yet) reached shower-producing potential, though with the air practically at a standstill and feeling very humid I am not ruling this out for later on.

Bike tyres now pumped up for a trip to E Dulwich Sainsburys tomorrow morning. The smaller local branch has now dispensed with all its walk-through checkouts apart from the cigarettes/lottery counter which allows for up to 5 items, so I, like several shoppers I've spoken to up there, will only be making infrequent visits there in the future - which is sad, having long got to know the staff there, many of whom have either now left or been got rid of. Tesco's have not gone so far in this direction as yet - St Sprees have only themselves to blame if they lose out in the perennial battle for retail supremacy!

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
              • Dec 2010

I may have witnessed a funnel cloud this evening. It appeared a few miles to the south of here; by the time I went outside to get a clearer look, something like a fragmenting rope was clearly visible descending halfway to the ground from the cloud base. I am thinking that it was unlikely to have been the kind of scud cloud that is commonly seen breaking off stormy cloud bases along the edge of a main rain core, since it seemed to be extended too far for that. If so, in all my many years of weather observing, this would be a first! Checking on the UKWW site no funnel cloud or tornado reports have been submitted for the area, but neither were the two Kent thunderstorms earlier on: that could be because there are few contributors to the forum living in that area. There were two other reports of funnel clouds today, however, one from Eire, the other Anglesea. Interestingly, two shallow depressions formed over the Home Counties today - one over Hampshire, the other covering much of Essex and Hertfordshire. Together these would have created the convergence line that assisted the formation of those storms.

Comment

• DracoM
                Host
                • Mar 2007

Startlingly big light in the sky - could it be? ........is it actually?...........can I believe it is..............??

Comment

• oddoneout
                  • Nov 2015

Originally posted by DracoM View Post
                  Startlingly big light in the sky - could it be? ........is it actually?...........can I believe it is..............??
                  A blue moon?
                  I'll be pleased for you if it is the sun though, as it's been a lovely September day here - sunny, pleasantly warm,gentle breeze, but on past showings that could have meant cold, wet and windy for you!

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post

A blue moon?
                    I'll be pleased for you if it is the sun though, as it's been a lovely September day here - sunny, pleasantly warm,gentle breeze, but on past showings that could have meant cold, wet and windy for you!
                    It's looking promising for this week, for sure. They're even speaking of near-heatwave temperatures!

Comment

• Joseph K
                      Banned
                      • Oct 2017

Really nice today - sunny and not too warm (or at least not too humid) - 24C, not much wind...

Comment

• french frank
                        Administrator/Moderator
                        • Feb 2007

One of the nicest days of the year today - 26C, barely a breeze and - sun!
                        It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                          • Dec 2010

The temperature felt as if it was rising minute by minute as I cycled my way over to Streatham Common by way of Acre Lane, Brixton. I came haring home in a sweat so as not to miss the start of Jazz Record Requests, only then to remember that today's edition is not until ten o'clock tonight!

Comment

• Old Grumpy
                            • Jan 2011

Ah. the benefits of non-linear...

...at this moment I am just listening to JRR from 6 Aug (for the first time) - no haring necessary (but I do have to remember to listen before it falls off Sounds!

Comment

• Joseph K
                              Banned
                              • Oct 2017

Went for a two-hour walk this morning (something I'm resolved to do once a week from now on) - absolutely beautiful weather - 23 or 24C, bit of wind, cloudless.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                                • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Joseph K View Post
                                Went for a two-hour walk this morning (something I'm resolved to do once a week from now on) - absolutely beautiful weather - 23 or 24C, bit of wind, cloudless.
                                Actually it's almost too hot here in London for even that today! I had contemplated making this week one for a long cycle trip out beyond the suburbs, but it now looks likely to get even hotter, and worse, more humid as the week goes on - and I can't ever remember such being the case this late in the season.

Comment

Working...
                                X