X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DracoM
    Host
    • Mar 2007

Zeus and/or his acolytes not grumbling here either.

Comment

• oddoneout
      • Nov 2015

More rain this morning - we are blessed! Looking forward to getting out later and putting the last half dozen bean plants in the veg patch. Planting out yesterday took longer than planned due to the ground still being very hard even though showing welcome signs of improved moisture content, so making the planting holes and getting support sticks in place where necessary took considerable effort. Eventually I had to stop as the complaints of my arthritic hands became too insistent to ignore!

Comment

• gurnemanz
        • Nov 2010

Surprised to note that gov.uk gives local rainfall for last 24 hours as 36.8 mm. Half of that was early morning when I was still asleep. Great for the garden.

Comment

• Joseph K
          Banned
          • Oct 2017

Unfortunately I don't have a picture because I didn't bring my phone with me but the entirety of the tunnel underneath a road to access Sainsbury's was flooded, such was the amount of rain we'd had (and presumably drain blockage). I had to go and cross the dual carriageway to get access to the supermarket.

Comment

• EnemyoftheStoat
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by gurnemanz View Post
            Surprised to note that gov.uk gives local rainfall for last 24 hours as 36.8 mm. Half of that was early morning when I was still asleep. Great for the garden.
            We were woken by heavy rainfall, but at the bus stop today I heard people talking about thunderstorms, of which we were unaware. Still, all that rain has done wonders for the levels in the water butts, all the more so since one of ours seems to get all the water from ours, next door and the two the other side of that.

Comment

• Old Grumpy
              • Jan 2011

Originally posted by EnemyoftheStoat View Post
              ...all that rain has done wonders for the levels in the water butts, all the more so since one of ours seems to get all the water from ours, next door and the two the other side of that.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Old Grumpy View Post
                Official predictions are for a cool down to normal temps from the beginning of next week, with a re-vivified Atlantic jet bringing in more westerlies. Pessimists are already announcing the end of the 2023 summer!

And before I forget (which I already had) - a Very Happy Summer Solstice to all our weather enthusiasts!
                Last edited by Serial_Apologist; 21-06-23, 13:40.

Comment

• Old Grumpy
                  • Jan 2011

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                  Official predictions are for a cool down to normal temps from the beginning of next week, with a re-vivified Atlantic jet bringing in more westerlies. Pessimists are already announcing the end of the 2023 summer!
                  Well seeing as today (21st June) is the astronomical start of summer and midsummer's day is 24 June it seems a not unreasonable assertion!

Comment

• oddoneout
                    • Nov 2015

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post

And before I forget (which I already had) - a Very Happy Summer Solstice to all our weather enthusiasts!
                    Georgia Mann said something this morning about 4pm being the actual tipping point, as it were, rather than dawn, but I couldn't stop at that point to hear the reason.
                    Another warm day. The breeze was pleasant but is doing too much removal of the benefits of the small amount of rain we had for my liking.

Comment

• oddoneout
                      • Nov 2015

Oof. 30 degrees in the shade and southerly wind topping 30mph - not pleasant. Just as well we did have some rain during the week to help the plants cope. As it is, damaged leaves are crisping almost as I watch. Tomorrow is supposed to be significantly cooler, I do hope so.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post
                        Oof. 30 degrees in the shade and southerly wind topping 30mph - not pleasant. Just as well we did have some rain during the week to help the plants cope. As it is, damaged leaves are crisping almost as I watch. Tomorrow is supposed to be significantly cooler, I do hope so.
                        Maxing out at 27.5C here an hour ago, the moderate to fresh southerly has had something of a heat-mitigating effect. It looks as if the cold front introducing next week's return to a westerly weather régime for the first time in literally months is going to pass by with little if any cloud, let alone rain. It will be a relief to get back to planning decent long cycle rides. That said, one was just starting to get used to the heat! Today's laundry on the line had dried out within a couple of hours.

Comment

• DracoM
                          Host
                          • Mar 2007

Hot and humid, eh?
                          Ha!
                          Up here as I post, it is 12C, damp, showers, chilly little wind and grey.

But of course, we don't really exist up here, do we? Silly me.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                            • Dec 2010

Originally posted by DracoM View Post
                            Hot and humid, eh?
                            Ha!
                            Up here as I post, it is 12C, damp, showers, chilly little wind and grey.

But of course, we don't really exist up here, do we? Silly me.
                            Still pretty oppressive here yesterday and today, despite the BBC forecasters predicting lowering humidity levels with the westward shift in wind directions. The Met Office predicts this as the hottest June on record, beating 1940 and 1976, notwithstanding the likelihood of temperatures settling at around average for the remainder of the month. Temperature now 22C here under a grey triple-layered sky with light winds. Rain expected to swing in from the NW later tomorrow and Thursday morning, with possibly a further dollop on Friday.

Comment

• oddoneout
                              • Nov 2015

A considerable reset last night and today temperature-wise. There was supposed(forecast for a couple of days) to be some rain tonight but that possibility seems to have been removed completely from the forecast sometime in the last hour or so - very tiresome, especially as there continues to be rather too much air movement drawing moisture away. I shall now have to do quite a bit of watering as I had put down pelleted(chicken poo type) fertiliser on parts of the veg patch in the expectation of rain.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                                • Dec 2010

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post
                                A considerable reset last night and today temperature-wise. There was supposed(forecast for a couple of days) to be some rain tonight but that possibility seems to have been removed completely from the forecast sometime in the last hour or so - very tiresome, especially as there continues to be rather too much air movement drawing moisture away. I shall now have to do quite a bit of watering as I had put down pelleted(chicken poo type) fertiliser on parts of the veg patch in the expectation of rain.
                                It's noticeable how so many plants "prefer" actual rain to tap water. During the long dry spell I would be out at least every other evening with watering can. Several of my potted plants showed little if any " appreciation" for all my efforts. Then we had that thunderstorm last Tuesday, and the Eryngium's leaves, which had been spread prone, drooping over the edge of the pot, immediately sprang to attention, as if they'd had a fix, which they clearly had! A neighbour suggested that the plant must have received a positive charge!

Comment

Working...
                                X