• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Serial_Apologist
    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post
    Going Down...
    This time yesterday the high for today was predicted as 18 for several hours, thanks to constant sun. By evening that was down to 16 but again for several hours. Now it an isolated blip of 16 early afternoon, and that's yer lot. Wouldn't matter so much except for the constant "brisk" north easterly knocking 2 or 3 degrees off that "high".
    So back to layers to stay warm, and extensive watering duties in the garden, also potting on of things like courgettes which should be going out into the veg patch now but face a miserable and likely short existence if I do.
    On the plus side I suppose the need to cover up reduces the risk of sunburn from very high UV levels...
    Yes our temperature here fell to 9C last night, that being a couple below the early June mean despite yesterday reaching 21C - belatedly for the first time this year. So with unbroken skies since first thing and a very light breeze we can expect that 21C to be reached or even exceeded today. But we're not on the exposed east coast of course! I shall be starting my garden watering this evening when the area is in shade - no use in boiling the plants. If we are in for continued lack of rainfall a couple of watering canfuls each day should pre-empt dessication and the hassle of having to get the hosepipe out.

Comment

• DracoM
      Host
      • Mar 2007

Another fab day for us up here. Cloudless, light breeze, and recognisably warm.

Comment

• oddoneout
        • Nov 2015

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
        Yes our temperature here fell to 9C last night, that being a couple below the early June mean despite yesterday reaching 21C - belatedly for the first time this year. So with unbroken skies since first thing and a very light breeze we can expect that 21C to be reached or even exceeded today. But we're not on the exposed east coast of course! I shall be starting my garden watering this evening when the area is in shade - no use in boiling the plants. If we are in for continued lack of rainfall a couple of watering canfuls each day should pre-empt dessication and the hassle of having to get the hosepipe out.
        Make sure the watering cans are in the shade as well - otherwise you risk really boiling the plants! I think I've mentioned this before but I speak from experience, with both cans and hosepipes.

Comment

• DracoM
          Host
          • Mar 2007

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
            • Dec 2010

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post
            Make sure the watering cans are in the shade as well - otherwise you risk really boiling the plants! I think I've mentioned this before but I speak from experience, with both cans and hosepipes.
            Good points! My practice is to fill up immediately prior to watering.

Comment

• Joseph K
              Banned
              • Oct 2017

Quite cold for this time of year.

Comment

• oddoneout
                • Nov 2015

Originally posted by Joseph K View Post
                Quite cold for this time of year.
                Indeed. We hit the heady heights of 13 degrees here at lunchtime - old story that if the sun had shown its face and the wind had dropped a bit we would have done better. The weekend is so far looking to be a case of from one extreme to the other which I have mixed feelings about. I don't cope well with such sudden large increases in temperature anyway, but also we have a large event on at work which is always hard work even without the heat to contend with.

Comment

• DracoM
                  Host
                  • Mar 2007

Cloudless warm day, BUT damn cold this evening in NE wind. Phew!

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                    • Dec 2010

This could well be the longest continuous period of one dominant weather type in all my 63 years of weather observations.

Comment

• oddoneout
                      • Nov 2015

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                      This could well be the longest continuous period of one dominant weather type in all my 63 years of weather observations.
                      Persistent easterly airflows used to be a feature of winters here - grey days, raw red skin from the scouring wind, frost driven into the ground("earth stood hard as iron" as the carol has it was more than just words) the arrival of snow welcomed for raising the temperature somewhat(!). When I was keeping hens on the allotment and guinea pigs in the garden, making sure they had water to drink became very difficult as it would freeze as soon as poured into a dish or drinking bottle. Over time the winter version lessened, but then we started having a similar problem(although not usually to the freezing extent) in April, when everything on the plot stood still or retreated for a fortnight or so after getting going in March, and everyone was uncomfortable and grumpy and the heating bills spiked. Even after the temperature improved, recovery was slow as it would have also been very dry.
                      Having it happen and for such a long time, in June, is certainly not usual.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                        • Dec 2010

Probabilities shift in the direction of major change, starting from tomorrow, with winds coming off a fast warming Continent and a thundery occluded front reaching the SW. The latter is forecast slowly to cross the country on Saturday and Sunday, bringing high-based thunderstorms along its length, so we are in for in for an interesting couple of days at least! Watch out for apocalyptic skies and dramatic lightning displays!

Comment

• DracoM
                          Host
                          • Mar 2007

Comment

• Petrushka
                            • Nov 2010

A warm and pleasant day, around 18 degrees, but tempered yet again by a cold easterly wind that just won't go away!

Thunderstorms forecast for the weekend but from past experience they won't materialise.
                            "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• oddoneout
                              • Nov 2015

"The sun she am shining" as my daughter used to say when young - her progress to mastery of the English language was somewhat erratic - and is due to stay out all day. The airflow is still from a cold direction though and is currently distinctly on the brisk end of the speed range, gusting to 20mph. So, much watering needs to be done, and care to avoid burning where skin is exposed, as cool breeze and bright sun is a powerful combination. With both UV and pollen being very high(and remaining so according to the forecast) I will have to limit my excursions outside to keep hayfever manageable.

Comment

• Joseph K
                                Banned
                                • Oct 2017

Sunny and warm - making the gusts of wind quite refreshing, now.

Comment

Working...
                                X