X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Joseph K
    Banned
    • Oct 2017

Dull but mild. First sight of Daffodils today.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
      • Dec 2010

In the absence of our good friend, it's turned out lovely for most of us, if a little on the cold side today. Let's wish him well again on the Missing Friends thread, and hope we see him back here soon, reminding us all of the excitements of the weather in Haywards Heath.

Comment

• oddoneout
        • Nov 2015

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
        In the absence of our good friend, it's turned out lovely for most of us, if a little on the cold side today. Let's wish him well again on the Missing Friends thread, and hope we see him back here soon, reminding us all of the excitements of the weather in Haywards Heath.
        It's not the same without the daily bulletins is it? I do hope he will be back before too long.

Frost all night with fog - not nice for those having to be out and about. An atmospheric dawn today with a long thin cloud bank low across the eastern horizon seeming to merge with the remaining fog, all backlit by the golden disc of the rising sun. The sun quickly broke through and dispersed the remaining murk and now we have a lovely sunny day. There is virtually no breeze so the sun's warmth will be noticeable.
        An odd effect a couple of days ago. The dawn was a pretty pastel pink affair and to my surprise the same effect turned up at sunset across the eastern sky, although the west was mostly clouded over with just a hint of colour under. There is often colour projected onto clouds in the east like this but for the west not to be showing anything is unusual - the colour in the east is more usually an indication of a good show in the west.

Comment

• DracoM
          Host
          • Mar 2007

Whacking frost / light snow up here overnight.
          Temp: 2C
          Last edited by DracoM; 06-02-23, 11:51.

Comment

• oddoneout
            • Nov 2015

This morning's posting overshadowed by the sad news about BBM.
            A sharp overnight frost and brilliant dawn made for a sparkling white landscape, and the day promises to be blue skies, cloudless and generally uplifting. It's the kind of day that gave BBM pleasure to see, and anticipate perhaps one of his little "vehicular" excursions, so I shall think of him, and his family, as I go out and about today.

Comment

• gurnemanz
              • Nov 2010

Unusual and rather beautiful cloud effect last night. Full moon behind marble-like clouds. Got a quick snap on mobile phone:

Comment

• Joseph K
                Banned
                • Oct 2017

Fantastic photo, Gurney. Looks/feels like looking up at the moon from being underwater.

Cold but cloudless today.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                  • Dec 2010

Almost a moon corona in gurney's wonderful photo, indicating the cloud as being altocumulus translucidus. Many thanks, gurney.

Brilliant sunshine, albeit rather poor visibility hereabouts, though we missed the fog others are reported as having had. By this time the sun is becoming noticeably warm on a calm day such as this - I shall enjoy the cycle ride I am about to take down to Brixton.
                  Not looking forward to the upper rear filling I shall have to have next Tuesday, following this morning's 6 monthly dental check.

PS Having just seen the sad news about BBM, my problems pale into insignificance. BBM bore his omnipresent health problems with extraordinary fortitude and good spirits. How he is going to be missed on this thread!

Comment

• gurnemanz
                    • Nov 2010

Almost a moon corona in gurney's wonderful photo, indicating the cloud as being altocumulus translucidus. Many thanks, gurney.
                    Thanks for info, SA. I said to the person with me that someone will know what those clouds are called - with your good self in mind.

Comment

• DracoM
                      Host
                      • Mar 2007

If I hear another cheerily-accented weather forecast saying it's MILDER, I shall scream............up HERE, there is a cutting and ICILY insistent westerly.
                      'Milder' it is not. Temp -2C ...under, yes, a shining sun.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by DracoM View Post
                        If I hear another cheerily-accented weather forecast saying it's MILDER, I shall scream............up HERE, there is a cutting and ICILY insistent westerly.
                        'Milder' it is not. Temp -2C ...under, yes, a shining sun.
                        Here as well - the presenter did say "milder" but the temperature remains exactly the same as the past 4 days, with frost each night. Will it warm up over the weekend, as promised? That's the question. Having said all that, the garden thinks it is warming up: we have small daffs out - they flowered earlier than even the snowdrops, and we're still waiting on the croci; ransomes are flowering in the woods, and ground cover plants and smaller shrubs there are putting on fresh growth.

Comment

• JasonPalmer
                          • Dec 2022

We also have some flowers coming out, some cold mornings but the direction is spring.
                          Annoyingly listening to and commenting on radio 3...

Comment

• oddoneout
                            • Nov 2015

Here as well - the presenter did say "milder" but the temperature remains exactly the same as the past 4 days, with frost each night. Will it warm up over the weekend, as promised? That's the question. Having said all that, the garden thinks it is warming up: we have small daffs out - they flowered earlier than even the snowdrops, and we're still waiting on the croci; ransomes are flowering in the woods, and ground cover plants and smaller shrubs there are putting on fresh growth.
                            Surprised to hear that Ramsons are out - end of April into May is their usual flowering time. Things are moving on here due to the lengthening days rather than milder conditions; nights continue to be frosty and a couple of my veg beds which get little sun at this time of year are still frozen, bit tiresome when I was trying to earth up a kale plant that had got partly displaced either by animal or frost - possibly both.

Comment

• DracoM
                              Host
                              • Mar 2007

Today at c Noon, utter soggy, foggy, chilly [5C] filth.

Comment

• oddoneout
                                • Nov 2015

Supposedly milder today but once the sun got covered and the breeze picked up it wasn't. There was a sharp frost in the hours before and around dawn which didn't help - if the sun had stayed out it would have been better. Still dry.

Comment

Working...
                                X