• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DracoM
    Host
    • Mar 2007

<< Dull, and miserable! ...>>
    Telling me, and I am getting VERY fed up with BBC weather people smiling and telling me how mild it is getting in my part of UK, when ALL my outdoor thermometers are telling me that we are only a gnat's wing around / above 4C ALL DAY, plus almost always below 0C overnight.

Comment

• Joseph K
      Banned
      • Oct 2017

Mild and murky, then raining on my walk. Sun's out now!

Comment

• DracoM
        Host
        • Mar 2007

Originally posted by DracoM View Post
        << Dull, and miserable! ...
        .. AND BBC weather people smilingly telling me how mild it is getting in my part of UK! Huh! Well, ALL my outdoor thermometers are telling me that we are only a gnat's wing around / above 4C ALL DAY, plus almost always below 0C overnight.
        ...................and now, as I post, westerly gales are unloading rain like the sound of gravel on south-facing walls and windows.
        But it is the temperature thing that gets me - how do they judge the temps and so regularly get them so wrong here?

I usually revert to daily instinct, check the window and trust past experience, relegating the BBC forecasts to an annoying / amusing mumble before the BBC news bulletins and NOT as if factual statements. OR, better still, I trust yr.no as being far more accurate!!

Comment

• Old Grumpy
          • Jan 2011

Very windy, 10C and sunny here - have put some washing out today and it may actually dry...

... that's if the whirligig doesn't get blown over!

Comment

• oddoneout
            • Nov 2015

Dry, sunny most of the day (very welcome at the end of the day especially when it comes with a bit of sunset) and mild. But heavens - the wind! I decided I couldn't wait for it to die down a bit before I went out, as it was supposed to, and I did get stopped in my tracks by gusts a couple of times.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
              • Dec 2010

Originally posted by DracoM View Post
              ...................and now, as I post, westerly gales are unloading rain like the sound of gravel on south-facing walls and windows.
              But it is the temperature thing that gets me - how do they judge the temps and so regularly get them so wrong here?

I usually revert to daily instinct, check the window and trust past experience, relegating the BBC forecasts to an annoying / amusing mumble before the BBC news bulletins and NOT as if factual statements. OR, better still, I trust yr.no as being far more accurate!!
              I have a theory that "they" give the public likely temperatures at sea level, rather than making allowances for people who live at higher locations, although they do sometimes vaguely account for "frost hollows", which I imagine your location to be, DracoM. The general rule is to allow a couple of degrees Celsius for every 1000 feet ASL. I have even known snow at this elevation of a mere 250 feet ASL when rain alone had been forecast for "the London area".

Comment

• oddoneout
                • Nov 2015

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                I have a theory that "they" give the public likely temperatures at sea level, rather than making allowances for people who live at higher locations, although they do sometimes vaguely account for "frost hollows", which I imagine your location to be, DracoM. The general rule is to allow a couple of degrees Celsius for every 1000 feet ASL. I have even known snow at this elevation of a mere 250 feet ASL when rain alone had been forecast for "the London area".
                Altitude isn't an adjustment we have to consider in this neck of the woods but the inclusion of the wind chill on local forecasts is useful...

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                  • Dec 2010

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post
                  Altitude isn't an adjustment we have to consider in this neck of the woods but the inclusion of the wind chill on local forecasts is useful...
                  ...Which in turn would be dependent on humidity levels, thereby making weather presentations unwieldy for the time slot they're allowed. In the States, weather presenters give far more detailed forecasts, and a lot of technical jargon seems to be common knowledge. More extreme weather is more commonplace than here, possibly accounting for details carrying more meaning. You will have a presenter saying something along the lines of, "We think there's a strong likelihood of Grade 4 tornadoes forming at this point along the front, where you can see a cloud spiral forming, at between 4 and 4.30 this afternoon, which could affect this area, and we'll keep you informed, just stay tooned". I've seen weather forecasts there an hour long: maybe these are on solely weather-based networks.

Comment

• Old Grumpy
                    • Jan 2011

I've seen weather forecasts there an hour long: maybe these are on solely weather-based networks.
                    Is that just for one locality, or the whole of the USA?

Comment

• oddoneout
                      • Nov 2015

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                      ...Which in turn would be dependent on humidity levels, thereby making weather presentations unwieldy for the time slot they're allowed. In the States, weather presenters give far more detailed forecasts, and a lot of technical jargon seems to be common knowledge. More extreme weather is more commonplace than here, possibly accounting for details carrying more meaning. You will have a presenter saying something along the lines of, "We think there's a strong likelihood of Grade 4 tornadoes forming at this point along the front, where you can see a cloud spiral forming, at between 4 and 4.30 this afternoon, which could affect this area, and we'll keep you informed, just stay tooned". I've seen weather forecasts there an hour long: maybe these are on solely weather-based networks.
                      I don't watch (nor for that matter listen to) weather witterings, I use the Met Office online service.

Comment

• Old Grumpy
                        • Jan 2011

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post
                        I don't watch (nor for that matter listen to) weather witterings, I use the Met Office online service.

The very same who the BBC "let go".

Today the BBC has stopped taking most of its weather information from the Met Office, here Phil Evans, our Chief Operating Officer gives his perspective You will know us as the UK’s National Weathe…

Comment

• BBMmk2
                          Late Member
                          • Nov 2010

A rather dull, uninspiring day, today, I think.
                          Don’t cry for me
                          I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                            • Dec 2010

Originally posted by BBMmk2 View Post
                            A rather dull, uninspiring day, today, I think.
                            Agreed. At least it's probably mild enough to switch the CH off. But I'm thinking of dropping off this particular thread unless there is something of genuine interest to remark on.

Comment

• DracoM
                              Host
                              • Mar 2007

Another day of chilly, rain-sodden, westerly semi-gales.
                              Crikey - what an appallingly dreary Dec/Jan [so far] sequence we have had up here. Interminably depressing. Even the regular flocks of corvid have given up trying to find much to please them.

Comment

• Joseph K
                                Banned
                                • Oct 2017

Very mild.

Comment

Working...
                                X